Transepts Sentence Examples
In 1837 the tower and transepts were fitted for divine service.
Petronio, the patron saint of Bologna, which was begun in 1390; only the nave and aisles as far as the transepts were, however, completed, but even this is a fine fragment, in the Gothic style, measuring 384 ft.
Adjoining the town hall is the Anglican cathedral of St Andrew, in the Perpendicular style; it has two towers at the west end and a low central tower above the intersection of the nave and transepts, with a very handsome chapter house.
The plan is unusual, consisting of a large nave without aisles, the span being between 45 and 50 ft.; it also has two shallow transepts and an apsidal east end.
From this period date the nave and the side aisles; the choir was completed in 1315-1338 and the long transepts in 1 34 6 - 1 354.Advertisement
Even the waggon vaults over the nave, choir and transepts are of stone unprotected by lead or tiles.
The church, which rises high above the buildings clustering round it, consists of transepts and four bays of the nave of Romanesque architecture and of a fine choir (1450 - I 521) in the Flamboyant Gothic style with a triforium surmounted by lofty windows.
The transepts have eastern apsidal chapels, as have the choir aisles, though the walls of these last.
In the interior, which is without transepts or aisles, the roodscreen and the choir-enclosure, which date from about 1500, are masterpieces of delicate sculpture; the vaulting and the walls are covered with paintings of the 15th and 16th centuries.
The church of St John the Baptist is a perpendicular cruciform structure, consisting of chancel, nave of seven bays, aisles, transepts and lofty western tower.Advertisement
Santa Maria is a fine example of Spanish Gothic, and consists, like many Catalan churches, of nave and chancel, aisles and ambulatory, without transepts.
The church here is of the Cistercian t e YP with a short chancel of two squares, and transepts with three eastward chapels to each, divided by solid walls (222).
Its design was that of a Jerusalem cross, with two flanking towers at the east end, two at the west end, and one in the centre, at the intersection of the roofs of the nave and transepts.
This and the transepts and choir are of Decorated work of various dates.
The present building was begun by Archbishop Roger (1154-81), and to this Transition period belong the transepts and portions of the choir.Advertisement
Transepts were added, to give to the ground-plan of the building the figure of the cross.
The insistence on the unique efficacy of the sacrifice of the altar led to the multiplication of masses, and so of altars, which were placed in the transepts or aisles or in chapels, dedicated to the saints whose relics they enshrined.
This type comprised nave and aisles, ending at one end in an apse and two chambers resembling rudimentary transepts, and at the other end in a porch (narthex).
They were usually long parallelograms unbroken by transepts.
In shape the church is cruciform, with double aisles to the nave and aisles to the transepts.Advertisement
The church or minster of St Cuthberga is a fine cruciform structure of various styles from Early Norman to Perpendicular, and consists of a central lantern tower, nave and choir with aisles, transepts without aisles, western or bell tower, north and south porches, crypt and vestry or sacristy, with the library over it.
The abbey church originally consisted of a nave, choir without aisles, and transepts.
The earlier churches of Genoa show a mixture of French Romanesque and the Pisan style - they are mostly basilicas with transepts, and as a rule a small dome; the pillars are sometimes ancient columns, and sometimes formed of alternate layers of black and white marble.
This building, as renovated in the 12th century, was to consist of nave and transepts, choir and aisles, and massive central tower.
Besides a number of handsome modern churches, among which is a Roman Catholic cathedral, Portsmouth possesses, in the church of St Thomas a Becket, a fine cruciform building dating from the second half of the 12th century, in which the chancel and transepts are original, but the nave and tower date from 1698, and the whole was extensively restored in 1904.Advertisement
The tower, at the intersection of the nave and transepts, is of unusually massive proportions, being 30 ft.
The church itself was a cruciform structure with a choir, nave and transepts, and a tower surmounting the centre of intersection.
The remains of the abbey chiefly consist of the shell of the beautiful Cruciform church, with a central saddleback tower rising from the transepts to a height of over 90 ft., and a graceful rose window at the west end of the nave.
The cathedral of St Martin was begun in 1063 by Bishop Anselm (later Pope Alexander II.); but the great apse with its tall columnar arcades and the fine campanile are probably the only remnants of the early edifice, the nave and transepts having been rebuilt in the Gothic style in the 14th century, while the west front was begun in 1204 by Guidetto (lately identified with Guido Bigarelli of Como), and "consists of a vast portico of three magnificent arches, and above them three ranges of open galleries covered with all the devices of an exuberant fancy."
The principal church is the imposing Romanesque cathedral, a basilica with transepts, begun in 1042 and consecrated in 1189.
The spacious transepts terminate in apses.
Monuments, tombs, busts and memorials crowd the choir, its chapels and the transepts, nor is the nave wholly free of them.
The transepts and choir are ruined, and the remains of domestic buildings are slight.
The nave, restored in 1892, is used as the parish church, but the choir and transepts are roofless, though otherwise kept in repair.
This edifice, in the Perpendicular style, opened for public worship in 1821, occupies the site of the ancient chancel and transepts, though differing in style and proportions from the original structure.
Noticeable for its high roof, low tower and dwarf spire, the church consists of an aisleless nave, chancel (adorned with Chantrey's statue of the 1st duke) and transepts.
Of the existing building, the easternmost bay of the nave, the transepts with east and west aisles, the choir with aisles and short transepts, and the Lady chapel, are Early English, a superb example of the finest development of that style.
Thomas Archer did further alterations and built the transepts and a musician's gallery - now removed, at the west end.
The clerestory continues as in the main transepts, i.e. with shaft rings.
The central tower of a church over the intersection of the nave and chancel with the transepts is sometimes called the " rood tower "; an example is that at Notre Dame at Paris.
The transepts, added in the 13th and, 4th centuries (before 1370), have picturesque brick faÃ§ades, with fine terra-cotta ornamentation.
The plan consists of three naves, short transepts and a small choir, without ambulatory, terminating in three apses.
The cathedral of St Stephen was begun in the 12th century in the Tuscan Romanesque style; to this period belongs the narrow nave with its wide arches; the raised transepts and the chapels were added by Giovanni Pisano in 1317-1320; the campanile dates from 1340 (it is a much smaller and less elaborate version of Giotto's campanile at Florence), while the faÃ§ade, also of alternate white sandstone and green serpentine, belongs to 1413.
The west front and a large portion of the north half of the nave and aisle have perished, but the remains include the rest of the nave, the two transepts, the chancel and choir, the two western piers of the tower and the sculptured roof of the east end.
Both transepts contained an eastern aisle, and the chancel a square chapel at its west end on each side.
As well as the transepts and chancel, the 19th century work included reseating the church, and furnishing the sanctuary.
Thomas Archer did further alterations and built the transepts and a musician 's gallery - now removed, at the west end.
The parish church, with its two lofty towers, is substantially a Romanesque building of the 13th century, but the choir and transepts are Gothic additions of a later date.
According to this scheme only the old choir was left; the nave and transepts were to be rebuilt after the classical style, with a lofty dome at the crossing - not unlike the plan eventually carried out.
With the exception of the crypt, the transepts are the oldest portions of the building now remaining.
Ulm cathedral has double aisles and a pentagonal apsidal choir, but no transepts.
The transepts, added in the 13th and, 4th centuries (before 1370), have picturesque brick façades, with fine terra-cotta ornamentation.
Later he erected the priory, for canons of his order, of which the nave and transepts of the church remain.
It consists of a nave in six bays, aisles, transepts, each with two eastern chapels, and an apse, all vaulted with simple quadripartite brick groining.