The township was incorporated with that name in 1765.
King George Sound, of which Albany is the township, was first occupied in 1826 and a penal settlement was established.
As in Virginia, the county is the unit of government, though an unsuccessful attempt to introduce the township system was made in the first constitution.
The nucleus of the township lies on high ground to the east of the Edgware road, which crosses the Welsh Harp reservoir of Regent's Canal, a favourite fishing and skating resort.
ANSONIA, a city of New Haven county, Connecticut, U.S.A., coextensive with the township of the same name, on the Naugatuck river, immediately N.
An act of the New Jersey legislature in 1895 created the office of township president, with power of appointment and veto.
Augusta was originally a part of the township of Hallowell (incorporated in 1771); in 1797 the north part of Hallowell was incorporated as a separate town and named Harrington; and later in the same year the name was changed to Augusta.
Women have the right to vote in all elections relating to schools and school officers in cities, towns and graded school districts, and also the right to be elected to any local school position or to the office of township clerk.
The first English settlement was probably made at Chimney Point, in Addison township, in 1690 by a party from Albany.
Similar outposts were located during the next few years at Sartwell's Fort and Bridgman's Fort in the township of Vernon (Windham county) and at Fort Hill in the township of Putney (N.
MANCHESTER, a township of Hartford county, Connecticut, U.S.A., about 9 m.
The first settlement within the present township of Lee was made in 1760.
The third guest was an 18-year-old from a nearby township, although the name on the registered vehicle was different than the motel listing.
Just then, Dean noticed a sign for Delbart Regional High School, which serviced the township where young "Mr. Jones," the third guest at Whitney's Motel, was attending school.
Two of the lots were immediately purchased by Captain Ephraim Williams (1715-1755), who was at the time commander of Fort Massachusetts in the vicinity; several other lots were bought by soldiers under him; and in 1 753 the proprietors organized a township government.
The legislative department consists of a senate of 30 members, apportioned among the counties according to population, but with the proviso that each county must have at least one senator, and a House of Representatives of 245 members, one from each township. Since 1870 elections and legislative sessions have been biennial.
The more important township officials are a moderator, a board of selectmen, a clerk, a treasurer and a superintendent of schools.
The censors, being elected on a general ticket, were always more progressive than the convention, which was chosen on the principle of equal township representation.
There are two granite quarries in the township immediately north-west of the Blue Hills; the granite is of the "dark Quincy" variety-dark bluish grey in colour-and is used chiefly for monuments.
The township was separated from Dorchester and incorporated in 1662.
In 1712 the Blue Hill lands were divided between Milton and Braintree, and in 1868 part of Milton was included in the new township of Hyde Park.
Manchester was originally a part of the township of Hartford, and later a part of the township of East Hartford.
The first settlement within its present limits was made about 1672; the land was bought from the Indians in 1676; and the township was separated from East Hartford and incorporated in 1823.
RICHFIELD SPRINGS, a village of Richfield township, Otsego county, New York, U.S.A., about 22 m.
WESTBORO, a township of Worcester (disambiguation)|Worcester county, Massachusetts, U.S.A., about 12 M.
It has a public library, which has belonged to the township since 1857; and here are the Lyman School for Boys, a state industrial institution (opened in 1886 and succeeding a state reform school opened in 1846), and the Westboro Insane Hospital (homoeopathic, 1884), which is under the general supervision of the State Board of Insanity.
In 1717 this part of Marlboro, with other lands, was erected into the township of Westboro, to which parts of Sutton (1728),(1728), Shrewsbury (1762 and 1793) and Upton (1763) were subsequently annexed, and from which Northboro was separated in 1766.
The eastern part of the township is generally hilly, reaching a maximum altitude of about 2200 ft., and there are two considerable bodies of water - Laurel Lake in the N.W.
The township was formed from parts of Great Barrington and Washington, was incorporated in 1777 and was named in honour of General Charles Lee (1731-1782).
In the autumn of 1786 there was an encounter near the village of East Lee between about 250 adherents of Daniel Shays (many of them from Lee township) and a body of state troops under General John Paterson, wherein the Shays contingent paraded a bogus cannon (made of a yarn beam) with such effect that the state troops fled.
An unusual: provision in the constitution, a result of its adoption in the midst of the Civil War, gives soldiers and sailors in the service of the United States the right to vote; their votes to be applied to the township and county in which they were bona fide residents at the time of enlistment.'
The constitution requires that township and county governments shall be uniform throughout the state.
For each township there is a justice of the peace, chosen biennially by its voters.
PLYMOUTH, a township and the county-seat of Plymouth county, Massachusetts, U.S.A., in the south-eastern part of the state, on Plymouth Bay, about 37 m.
Large quantities of cranberries are raised in the township. Plymouth is a port of entry, but its foreign commerce is unimportant; it has a considerable coasting trade, especially in coal and lumber.
The township owns its waterworks.
Plymouth was never incorporated as a township, but in 1633 the General Court of the colony recognized it as such by ordering that "the chiefe government be tyed to the towne of Plymouth."
An act of Congress of the 3rd of March 1803 reserved from sale section sixteen of the public lands in each township for educational purposes.
Congress granted another township (thirty-six sections) for the university in 1892, and its income is supplemented by legislative appropriations for current expenses and special needs.
Subordinate to them are the township boards of trustees, composed of a clerk, and two justices of the peace.
In the counties there is a board of education and there is also a local school committee of three in each township. The compulsory attendance at school of children between the ages of eight and fourteen for sixteen weeks each year by a state law is optional with each county.
And the work concludes with an inquiry " how to make a township that is worth XX.
The limits of the township, originally called West Hoosac, were determined by a committee of the General Court of Massachusetts in 1749, and two or three years later the village was laid out.
Williams was killed in the battle of Lake George on the 8th of September 1 755, but while in camp in Albany, New York, a few days before the battle, he drew a will containing a small bequest for a free school at West Hoosac on condition that the township when incorporated should be called Williamstown.
The General Assembly of Connecticut, in January 1774, erected the valley into the township of Westmoreland and attached it to Litchfield (disambiguation)|Litchfield county, and in October 1776 the same body erected it into Westmoreland county.
The city, settled in 1840 and named in honour of the merchant and philanthropist, Anson Green Phelps (1781-18J3), was originally a part of the township of Derby; it was chartered as a borough in 1864 and as a city in 1893, when the township of Ansonia, which had been incorporated in 1889, and the city were consolidated.
East Orange has a fine water-works system, which it owns and operates; the water supply is obtained from artesian wells at White Oaks Ridge, in the township of Milburn (about 10 m.
In 1863 the township of East Orange was separated from the township of Orange, which, in turn, had been separated from the township of Newark in 1806.
LEE, a township of Berkshire county, in western Massachusetts, U.S.A. Pop. (1900) 3596, (1905 state census) 3972.
Lime is quarried in the township. Lee was formerly a papermanufacturing place of great importance.
The first paper mill in the township was built in South Lee in 1806, and for a time more paper was made in Lee than in any other place in the United States; the Housatonic Mill in Lee was probably the first (1867) in the United States to manufacture paper from wood pulp.
Near the township of Burnham are slight Early English remains of an abbey founded in 1265.
The territory of the " township " consisted of arable land, meadow, pasture and waste.
MILTON, a township of N.E.