Town-house Sentence Examples
The town-house is also a noteworthy building and contains large and important archives.
There are remains of a Moorish fort on the hill commanding the town; and the north gateway - the Puerta del Colegio - is a fine lofty arch, surmounted by an emblematic statue and the city arms. The most prominent buildings are the episcopal palace (1733), with a frontage of a 600 ft.; the town house (1843), containing important archives; and the cathedral, a small Gothic structure built on the site of a former mosque in the 14th century, and enlarged and tastelessly restored in 1829.
With the exception of the church and the town-house, the buildings are mostly of wood.
The lighter punish ments inflicted by masters were commonly personal chastisement or banishment from the town house to rural labour; the severer were employment in the mill (pistrinum) or relegation to the mines or quarries.
There are several small parks and squares, including Central Square, Beacon Square, about which the business portion of the township is centred, and Saltonstall Park, in which is a monument to the memory of Watertown's soldiers who died in the Civil War, and near which are the Town House and the Free Public Library, containing a valuable collection of 60,000 books and pamphlets and historical memorials.Advertisement
Amongst the principal buildings are the town house (1815), with a tower and spire; the town hall (1873); the library (1887) founded by James Moffat, a merchant of the burgh, and the Carnegie Park Orphanage, also provided from the same bequest.
The Palais de Justice (18th century) was formerly the town house (refuge) of the abbey of Marchiennes.
It was then surrounded by strong fortifications, and contained a number of important buildings, such as the town-house (built in 1652 and restored in 1706), the exchange, the infirmary and orphan asylum, and the European churches.
The more conspicuous buildings are the cathedral, the exchange, the royal palace, now occupied by the captain-general, and the law courts, the episcopal palace, a handsome late Renaissance building (1616), the general hospital (1456), the town-house (end of the 16th century), the picture gallery, and the college.
Among the principal buildings are the town-house (1788), with a spire 125 ft.Advertisement
The last was once the town house of the earls of March, but was presented to Peebles byWilliam Chambers, the publisher, in 1859.
The principal buildings are the parish church, well-placed on a hill overlooking the pier, convalescent homes, Cottage and Victoria fever hospitals, and the town house.
Its old churches have been destroyed by fire, but it has a very ancient holy picture - probably the oldest in Russia, dating from 993, which attracts many pilgrims. In 1904 a town-house and a monument to Tsar Alexander II.
He lived principally at Clapham Common, but he had also a town-house in Bloomsbury, while his library was in a house in Dean Street, Soho; and there he used to attend on appointed days to lend the books to men who were properly vouched for.
In Hardgate Street is "Bothwell Castle," the town house of the earl of Bothwell, where Mary Queen of Scots rested on her way to Dunbar.Advertisement
The Town House - Late 19th century gothic building of considerable interest - see the crystal chandeliers.
Dealing with timber decay in a Grade 1 listed building will be a somewhat different proposition from a modern town house.
The cozy sitting room has a strong feeling of living in town house of the past.
This town house had been destroyed by fire in 1791.
The lieutenant-governor soon came into the town house and there met some of his Majesty's Council and a number of civil magistrates.Advertisement
He will also perform a lunchtime recital at the Town House on Tuesday.
The steeple standing by the Town House finds itself in its rather odd position owning to the 18th century steeple committees of Kinross.