Town-hall Sentence Examples
The other public buildings include two churches, a town hall and a hospital.
Among the notable buildings are the weigh-house (17th century), the bell-tower (1591), formerly attached to the town-hall before this was destroyed in the 18th century, and the church of St.
There are a few handsome public buildings, such as the hospital, town-hall and theatre.
In Achaea, this central hall was called the Lefton (town-hall), and a similar building is known to have existed at Elis.
In the town hall (1507) are the library and a small museum with two pictures by the 17th century artist Caesar van Everdingen, who with his more celebrated brother Allart van Everdingen was a native of the town.Advertisement
In the town hall (1618) are some corporation pictures, portraits of the counts of Orange and Nassau, including several by Michiel van Mierevelt (1567-1641), one of the earliest Dutch portrait painters, and with his son Pieter (1595-1623), a native of Delft.
Other buildings include the grammar school, founded in 1532 and rebuilt in 1893, a town hall and corn exchange, erected in 1866 in Italian style, with an assembly room.
The town hall and the parochial offices are the principal administrative buildings.
The castle of Helmond, built in 1402, is a beautiful specimen of architecture, and among the other buildings of note in the town are the spacious church of St Lambert, the Reformed church and the town hall.
The ancient town is chiefly celebrated for the famous Iguvine (less correctly Eugubine) Tables, which were discovered there in 1444, bought by the municipality in 1456, and are still preserved in the town hall.Advertisement
The public buildings include the town-hall (dating from 1762 and altered in 1876), the tolbooth (1590), and the grammar school.
Of the cluster of buildings in the centre, which are conspicuous from afar, the town hall (Rathaus) and the cathedral are specially noteworthy.
There may be mentioned further the old buildings of the grammar school, founded in 1563, and of the charity called Christ's Hospital (1583); while the town-hall in the marketplace, dating from 1677, is attributed to Inigo Jones.
There are many other, though slighter, remains of the ancient churches and monasteries of Kampen; but the most remarkable building is the old town-hall, which is unsurpassed in Holland.
The town-hall contains the municipal library, collec tions of tapestry, portraits and antiquities, and valuable archives relating to the town and province.Advertisement
The archiepiscopal palace; the lyceum, with a good library and an astronomical observatory; the seminary for Roman priests; and the town-hall are all noteworthy.
The most interesting buildings are the old fortified château of the 16th century, with its Gothic chapel restored in 1880; the church of St Bartholomew, dating in its present form from 1538; the new town hall (1894); the Griines Tor, also built in 1538; and the handsome new synagogue.
It contains a beautiful Roman Catholic and a Protestant church, a handsome new town-hall and an agricultural school.
It has a town hall with handsome rooms, a library, a gymnasium, a lyceum, elementary schools, an arsenal, and eleven churches, the finest of which is St Martin's, of the 15th century, with many excellent paintings and a tower 300 ft.
The lines of its walls can still be traced, enclosing an area of 170 acres, and parts of the town hall and baths have been uncovered.Advertisement
The town-hall, built in 1881, contains several stainedglass windows, two of which were the gift of citizens of Amsterdam and Hamburg, in gratitude for services rendered by the islanders to fishermen and seamen of those ports.
In the 15th-century town hall (Rathaus) is preserved the golden drinking cup of Charles the Bold, duke of Burgundy, which was taken at the battle of Nancy in 1477.
The cross, in Decorated Gothic, stands beside the town hall.
The church of St Nicholas was built of brick in 1821; and there are a town hall and a custom-house.
The principal buildings within the parish are the old town hall, now used as a volunteer drill hall and armoury; the county buildings, containing the town hall and court house; the academy; reformatory and the Wigtownshire combination poorhouse.Advertisement
The chief buildings are the town-hall, Anglican church, Masonic temple, and hospital.
The chief buildings are that containing the town hall and the grammar school (a foundation of 1547), the exchange, a theatre, and the customs house and dock offices.
The three Gothic Protestant churches, the Marienkirche, the Nikolaikirche and the Jakobikirche, and the town-hall (Rathaus) are the principal edifices, and these with their lofty spires are very picturesque.
The new town hall and post-office are near the uppermost bridge.
Midway between the European and Indian quarters stands the town hall.
The chief buildings are the town-hall, a large theatre, a school of arts and a library; the Christian Brothers College and several handsome churches.
The Walscher Hof, formerly a royal residence and mint, was built at the end of the 13th century, and the Gothic Steinerne Haus, which since 1849 serves as town-hall, contains one of the richest archives in Bohemia.
The public buildings include a library and town-hall.
The bones have since been removed to the town hall of Burgos.
The 16th-century Rathaus or town hall has recently been restored.
Among other buildings are a picturesque old castle dating from the 13th century, now in ruins with the exception of a few rooms used as a prison; the new castle, used as a fire watch-tower; and the town hall.
In 1593 Elizabeth incorporated it, and gave the burgesses a town hall and court of pie powder.
The buildings, mostly of wood, include the town-hall and a museum, which contains a good zoological collection.
It has been in large part rebuilt since a fire in 1836, and possesses a castle, with various collections, a museum of antiquities, an old town hall and churches.
The town hall and Easton institute are in the Scottish Baronial style.
The town-hall was built at the close of the, 8th century on the site of one erected in 1656, which succeeded the old moot-hall dating from Saxon times.
Among other buildings are the court house, the market hall, the assembly rooms (a handsome building adjoining the town-hall), and large barracks.
Other public buildings of interest are the town-hall, built in 1479 and restored in 1875; the fine town church, called the Frauenkirche or Marienkirche; the Nikolaikirche and the Airakirche.
Among the modern buildings are the gymnasium, the drawing and trade schools, the Roman Catholic seminary, the town hall and the industrial art museum.
Among its buildings are the cathedral, dating from 1553 and once noted for its wealth; the president's palace and halls of congress, which are no longer occupied as such by the national government; the cabildo, or town-hall; a mint dating from 1572; the courts of justice, and the university of San Xavier, founded in 1624, with faculties of law, medicine and theology.
Probably no town in the kingdom has a nobler group of public buildings than those in Cathays Park, which also commands a view of the castle ramparts and the old keep. On opposite sides of a fine avenue are the assize courts and new town hall (with municipal offices), which are both in the Renaissance style.
Directly west of the town hall is the new Stadthaus, the chief police station of the town, in front of which is a bronze statue of the burgomaster Karl Friedrich Petersen (1809-1892), erected in 1897.
Among other buildings are the town hall (built 1899-1900), the palace of the hereditary prince, the theatre, the administration offices, the law courts, the Amalienstift, with a picture gallery, several high-grade schools, a library of 30,000 volumes and an excellently appointed hospital.
The principal buildings are the old town-hall, the market house, the guildhall, the Royal Dorset Yacht Clubhouse, the theatre, the Royal Victoria Jubilee Hall, the Weymouth and Dorset eye infirmary, the Weymouth royal hospital and dispensary and the barracks.
Most of the older buildings have made way for factories, so that the town-hall, dating from 1551, is an almost solitary witness to the town's medieval prosperity.
The chief civil buildings are a large Chamber of Commerce, including the customs and port services, and a fine modern town hall.
The town hall is the principal modern building, and the fountain erected in Market Square to the memory of the 6th duke of Atholl (d.1864) occupies the site of the old cross.
The town-hall, a large florid building of Classic order, stands on an eminence, and its clock tower forms a landmark; it contains the spacious Centennial Hall (commemorating the first Australian colonization here in 1787), and has one of the finest organs in the world.
Adjoining the town hall is the Anglican cathedral of St Andrew, in the Perpendicular style; it has two towers at the west end and a low central tower above the intersection of the nave and transepts, with a very handsome chapter house.
Other public buildings are St Winifred's (Catholic) church and a convent, a town hall and a market-hall.
The Renaissance town-hall in the spacious market-place dates from 1570; it contains a library and a collection of antiquities.
Its principal buildings are the fine Renaissance parish church and the fortress-like 17th-century town hall.
There is also a museum, with natural history, archaeological, and art collections, and among other buildings may be mentioned St Bartholomew's church (1089), the town hall (1562-1564), a lunatic asylum, teachers' seminary and an agricultural academy.
It has four Evangelical churches, two with curiously leaning, lead-covered spires; an old town-hall; a gymnasium; and several philanthropic and religious institutions.
Saarbrucken has four Protestant churches, a Roman Catholic and an Old Catholic church, and a town hall adorned with paintings by Anton von Werner, illustrating episodes of the war of 1870.
It possesses several ancient churches, of which one is said to date from 1206, and a town hall built in 1559.
It contains one Roman Catholic and four Protestant churches, a synagogue, a fine town-hall dating from the 16th century, and several schools.
The town contains three Roman Catholic churches, a Protestant church, a synagogue, a new town-hall and a gymnasium.
Yet within recent years great alterations have been effected; in the newer quarters are several handsome streets and public buildings; in the centre many insanitary dwellings have been swept away, and their place occupied by imposing blocks of shops and business premises, and a magnificent new town-hall, erected in a dominant position.
Among other public buildings may be enumerated the civic hall, the law courts and the old town-hall.
Kitzingen is still surrounded by its old walls and towers, and has an Evangelical and two Roman Catholic churches, two municipal museums, a town-hall, a grammar school, a richly endowed hospital and two old convents.
It has a handsome town hall with fine paintings, an old tower (the Hexenturm, or witches' tower), a museum and various educational institutions.
A fine hotel, owned by the railway company, and an excellent golf course are the chief features, together with a town-hall with public reading room, and the place is much frequented for golf and sea-bathing.
The principal buildings are the town hall (in the Greek style), public hall, public institute and free library, and there is a public park presented by the marquess of Zetland.
On the adjacent Marienplatz are the old townhall, dating from the 14th century and restored in 1865, and the new town-hall, the latter a magnificent modern Gothic erection, freely embellished with statues, frescoes, and stainedglass windows, and enlarged in 1900-1905.
The market house, dated 1670, is a picturesque building supported on columns, the upper portion serving as a town hall.
There are a town-hall and corn exchange, and an industry in the manufacture of matting and in malting.
Of its secular buildings the most noticeable are the town hall and the Leuchtenberg palace, once the residence of the prince bishops and later of the dukes of Leuchtenberg (now occupied by the court of justice of the district), with beautiful grounds.
The principal secular building is the town-hall, completed in the 15th century, flanked on one side by a Gothic chapel, transformed now into a museum.
The modern town-hall and a church of the 19th century are the chief buildings of the quarter of St Pierre.
The town is timber-built and modern; and the Protestant church, town-hall, and schools were all rebuilt after fire in 1890.
The town hall contains a valuable collection of antiquities.
Of its secular buildings, the Rathaus (town-hall), built in 1574-1576, on the model of that of Antwerp, with a lofty tower, and containing an interest-' ing collection of arms and armour, is particularly remarkable.
The diet sat in the old town-hall or Rathaus, where was also signed in 1714 the treaty of Baden which put an end to the war between France and the Empire, and thus completed the treaty of Utrecht (1713).
Other noteworthy buildings are the town-hall, 16th century grammar school and Marlborough College.
Among the public buildings constructed since 1911 are the town hall with a clock tower 170 ft.
The town-hall contains a natural history museum.
The most prominent buildings are the new town-hall (1893); the castle of Count Clam Gallas, built in the 17th century, with additions dating from 1774 and 1850; the Erzdekanatskirche, of the 16th century; the Protestant church, a handsome modern Romanesque edifice (1864-68) and the hall of the cloth-workers.
Among secular buildings the most important are the town-hall, the palace of justice, the theatre, the governor's house, and the various buildings for military purposes.
Among its principal buildings are the castle, several Roman Catholic (from the 13th and 14th centuries) and Lutheran churches, a Franciscan monastery (founded 1634), the town-hall, and the mint where the celebrated Kremnitz gold ducats were formerly struck.
It is still surrounded by its old fortifications, has two Evangelical and two Roman Catholic churches, a new town-hall, handsome public offices, and a prison.
Remarkable among the other old buildings are the town-hall, of the 14th century and restored in the 17th century, with a crypt, and the Petershof, formerly the episcopal palace, but now utilized as law courts and a prison.
The town-hall dates from 1592, and has many points of interest.
Among the public buildings are a spacious town-hall in the central square, a club-house, an opera-house and a Greek theatre.
It has four Evangelical churches, among them a Wendish one, and a handsome new town-hall with a library.
It is an ancient place surrounded with walls, and contains a Gothic town hall and two interesting churches.
The modernized town hall was originally built in 1448.
It has two Roman Catholic and two Evangelical churches, a handsome new town hall (1895), a gymnasium, and several technical schools.
The principal buildings and institutions are the town hall and municipal buildings, the Princess Alice Memorial and other hospitals, a free library and, among many high-class schools, Eastbourne College for boys, founded in 1867.
Close by, on the market square, is the red-brick medieval town-hall (Rathaus), with an historical wine cellar beneath.
The statues in its niches are modern, but the originals are placed on the exterior of the town hall.
Amongst the principal buildings are the town house (1815), with a tower and spire; the town hall (1873); the library (1887) founded by James Moffat, a merchant of the burgh, and the Carnegie Park Orphanage, also provided from the same bequest.
The Late Gothic town hall has a collection of pictures and antiquities.
The town hall is not large enough for an assemblage of all the voters, but actually the attendance is usually limited to about Zoo, and since 1901 there has been in force a kind of referendum, under which any measure passed by a town-meeting attended by 700 or more voters may be referred, upon petition of loo legal voters, to a regular vote at the polls.
Other buildings of interest are the museum of industrial art; the so-called "Pope's house," built in 1517 by Adrian Floriszoon Boeyens, afterwards Pope Adrian VI., and a native of Utrecht; the royal mint of Holland; the Fleshers' Hall (1637); the home for the aged, occupying a 14th-century mansion; the town hall (1830); and the large hospital prison and barracks.
A group of abodes, however joined together, constituted the village or home of the tribe, and there was added to these a town hall or large assembly structure where men gathered and gossiped, and where all dramatic and religious ceremonies were held.
The town hall was originally a palace of the counts of Holland, begun in the 12th century, and some old 13th-century beams still remain; but the building was remodelled in the beginning of the 17th century.
It is connected with the mainland by a pontoon bridge, and has a castle, now used as barracks, in the beautiful chapel of which many members of the Sonderburg-Augustenburg line lie buried; a Lutheran church and a town hall.
The chief secular buildings are the town-hall (Rathaus), which dates from the i 5th century and was restored in 1883-1892, adorned with frescoes illustrating the history of the city; the Tempelherrenhaus, in Late Gothic erroneously said to have been built by the Knights Templars; the Knochenhaueramthaus, formerly the gild-house of the butchers, which was restored after being damaged by fire in 1884, and is probably the finest specimen of a wooden building in Germany; the Michaelis monastery, used as a lunatic asylum; and the old Carthusian monastery.
Franeker also possesses a town hall (1591), which contains a planetarium, made by one Eise Eisinga in 1774-1881.
The public buildings of interest are the Groote or Janskerk, the old Roman Catholic church, the synagogue, the town-hall, the exchange, the concerthall and a ruined castle.
There are three Evangelical churches and one Roman Catholic. Among other noteworthy buildings are the handsome town-hall (1576, afterwards restored) and the theatre (1902).
A new Rathaus (town-hall) has been erected.
It contains the fine Gothic church of St Martin, which contains 67 beautifully carved choir-stalls, and a town hall dating from about 1580.
It was only to be expected that the Germans, whose very existence was in question, should show themselves to be patriotic. But it was somewhat surprising that at Prague, after the declaration of war, Germans and Czechs sang Die TV acht am Rhein together in the streets, and the burgomaster, a Czech, made a speech in German before the town hall in which he called for cheers for the Emperor William and the fraternization of Germans and Czechs.
Opposite the town-hall is the smaller but extremely ornate Maison du Roi.
The town hall is a noteworthy building, with arcades dating from 1194, but in part rebuilt in 1826.
Among the principal buildings are the churches of St Jakob, St Ignatius, St John and St Paul, the town-hall, and the barracks formed from a monastery suppressed under the emperor Joseph II.
Near the cathedral are the arsenal (now housing the historical museum, in which are preserved many relics of the "Escalade" of 1602, including the famous ladders), and the maison de ville or town hall.
A revival of the custom was effected in 1855 by Harrison Ainsworth, author of the novel The Flitch of Bacon, but the scene of the ceremony was transferred to the town hall of Great Dunmow.
The town-hall, built by Pieter Post and completed in 1683, contains some interesting pictures and tapestry.
The old town-hall (Oud Stadhuis), a Gothic building of the r 5th century, is now used as a museum of antiquities.
It has an Evangelical and two Roman Catholic churches and a town hall with a fine council chamber.
There are also a Roman Catholic church, an old town-hall and a modern school.
The most interesting churches are those of St Mary and of St Blasius, dating respectively from the 14th and the 12th century; the town-hall is also a fine medieval structure.
During the South African crisis of 1899-1902 he was specially vehement in opposition to Mr Chamberlain, and took the "pro-Boer" side so bitterly that he was mobbed in Birmingham during the 1900 election when he attempted to address a meeting at the Town Hall.
Previously, the standard bushel used was known as the "Winchester bushel," so named from the standard being kept in the town hall at Winchester; it contained 2150.42 cub.
The most interesting buildings are the town hall (Stadhuis), a fine example of, 6thcentury Dutch building; the Gemeenlandshuis van Rynland (1596, restored 1878); the weigh-house built by Pieter Post (1658); the former court-house, now a military storehouse; and the ancient gymnasium (1599) and the so-called city timberhouse (Stads Timmerhuis) (1612), both built by Lieven de Key (c. 1560-1627).
The Melbourne town hall contains a central chamber capable of accommodating 3000 people.
The suburban cities and towns have each a town hall.
Most of the principal streets radiate from a centre between the Midland and Exchange stations and the town hall.
The hospitals and foundling refuge, the institute and the town hall are handsome modern buildings.
Further notable buildings in Kensington are the town-hall and free library in High Street, which is also much frequented for its excellent shops, and the Brompton Consumption Hospital, Fulham Road.
Other public buildings include the assembly rooms, the town-hall, the museum (in which the antiquities and natural history of the shire are abundantly illustrated), the district asylum, the academy, the county buildings and the court house, the market buildings, the Victoria school of science and art, and Lady Gordon-Cumming's children's home.
Farnham has a town hall and exchange in Italian style (1866), a grammar school of early foundation, and a school of science and art.
It has a Protestant and a Roman Catholic church, a handsome town-hall (restored in 1873-1874), a gymnasium, a provincial prison and a penitentiary.
Gustaf-Adolfs-Torg is the business centre, and contains the town-hall (1670) and exchange (1849).
Broughton and Pendleton have each a separate town hall.
Besides several other churches and two monastic houses, the principal buildings include the handsome palace of the primate, erected in 1883; the archiepiscopal library, with valuable incunabula and old MSS.; the seminary for the education of Roman Catholic priests; the residences of the chapter; and the town-hall.
Among public buildings the town-hall, in Lowgate, ranks first.
The town hall dates from 1737, and there is a museum founded in 1895.
It has a Romanesque church, with a carved altar of 1523, and stained glass of the 14th and 15th centuries; and there is a 16th century town hall.
Among the other noteworthy buildings of Freiburg are the palaces of the grand duke and the archbishop, the old town-hall, the theatre, the Kaufhaus or merchants' hall, a 16th-century building with a handsome façade, the church of St Martin, with a graceful spire restored 1880-1881, the new town-hall, completed 1901, in Renaissance style, and the Protestant church, formerly the church of the abbey of Thennenbach, removed hither in 1839.
It possesses a parish church, occupying the site of one reputed to have been built by Charlemagne about 805, an interesting town hall and several schools.
It contains a handsome parish church dedicated to St Martin, a town hall and a castle (Wildeck), built by the Emperor Henry I.
It lies at the head of the Byfjord, an inlet of the Baltic. The ruins of its once famous castle, the town hall (1662), and the district governor's residence, are notable buildings.
The town also possesses a town hall situate on the market square and dating from 1737, a fine block of law-court buildings, several high-grade schools and a theatre.
There is a fine Gothic church dating from 1348, but subsequently in part destroyed and used for secular purposes; the town hall (1475) has a fine gable filled with sculpture, and contains some interesting antiquities.
One of these, called after the name of an ancient town Apollonia, is the modern capital; Kastro is an "old-world Italian town" with medieval castle and fortifications, and an old town-hall bearing date 1365.
It is one of the oldest towns in Moravia, and possesses a Gothic town-hall and an old castle, once occupied by Matthias Corvinus.
The town hall in the Scottish Baronial style has a clock-tower 130 ft.
The town hall was designed by Sir Brumwell Thomas, xxv.
The town hall is a picturesque edifice of the 13th century; it was partly rebuilt in the 16th, and was restored in the 19th century.
The principal buildings are the Stadt Kirche, a beautiful Gothic building, erected about 1320 and restored in 1899, with a fine tower and a large bell; the old and interesting town hall (Rathaus) and the ruins of the abbey church.
The town hall and the Protestant church (1899) were gifts of the earl of Carysfort, in whose property the town is situated.
Among the remaining buildings must be mentioned the town hall (17th century; restored 1823), the court-house, the concert-hall of the "Harmonic" club, the record office (1900), the leeskabuiet, or subscription library and reading-rooms, and the ten-storeyed Witte Huis (1897), which is used for offices and is one of the highest private buildings on the Continent.
The large town hall (in classical style), one of the finest public buildings, was built at the beginning of the 19th century and enlarged in 1873.
There are a picturesque town hall (1641), raised on stone columns, and a free grammar school.
It is situated at the junction of the Maltsch with the Moldau, which here becomes navigable, and possesses a beautiful square, lined with fine arcaded buildings, the principal one being the town-hall, built in 1730 in Renaissance style.
The Norrevold Gade leads through the N6rretor y past the Folketeatre and the technical school to the Orsteds park, and from its southern end the Vestervold Gade continues through the Raadhus Plads, a centre of tramways, flanked by the modern Renaissance town hall (190,), ornamented with bronze figures, with a tower at the eastern angle.
On the market square stands the fine town hall (Rathaus), dating from the 15th century, with a handsome Renaissance façade of a somewhat later date, and before it a stone statue of Roland, the emblem of civic power.
The town hall is internally richly embellished and has a gallery of interesting paintings.
The town-hall is a handsome modern building with a Grecian frontage on two sides.
The town hall dates from about 1480, but it was disfigured by additions in the beginning of the 17th century.
Of other buildings the principal are the town hall (1876), the corporation buildings, and the school of science and art and free library.
Buildings include town-hall and county-hall, with St Mary's church of the 13th century, with chancel of the 16th.
The public buildings include the town hall - a substantial edifice with a tower rising in three tiers from the body of the structure, the Telford library, and the Hope hospital for aged poor.
The town-hall and library building is a fine structure; the library contains about 20,000 volumes, and the museum and collections of the Winchester Historical and Genealogical Society.
Among the public buildings of Augsburg most worthy of notice is the town-hall in Renaissance style, one of the finest in Germany, built by Elias Holl in 1616-1620.
Paintings from his brush adorn the cathedral (which has a fine brick campanile), and others are preserved in the gallery of the town hall.
It contains several interesting Gothic buildings, including a fine town hall with a timber facade of 1498.
The town is well built, has many spacious squares and attractive public grounds, and contains a castle, a handsome town-hall, a gymnasium, &c. The old palace of the abbots of Kempten, dating from the end of the 17th century, is now partly used as barracks, and near to it is the fine abbey church.
Among other buildings may be mentioned the ancient chapel of St Nicholas in West Looe, restored in 1862; and the old town-hall, where the ancient pillory is preserved.
The badge of Rostock is the figure 7; and a local rhyme explains that there are 7 doors to St Mary's church, 7 streets from the market-place, 7 gates on the landward side and 7 wharves on the seaward side of the town, 7 turrets on the town-hall, which has 7 bells, and 7 linden trees in the park.
The town-hall, public library and mechanic's institute are noteworthy buildings.
The town hall is a handsome classical building erected in 1875; it bridges the county boundary, the Calder, enabling the magistrates to exercise jurisdiction in both counties.
The churches of St Munchin (to whom is attributed the foundation of the see in the 6th century) and St John, Whitamore's Castle and a Dominican priory, are other remains of antiquarian interest; while the principal city and county buildings are a chamber of commerce, a custom house commanding the river, and court house, town hall and barracks.
The most prominent buildings are the church of the Nativity, the town-hall, and a castle dating from the 15th century.
The picturesque town hall (1595), the only building of special interest, contains some interesting paintings by Hubert Goltzius (1526-1583).
Among the public buildings are the academy, Johnstone public school, the county buildings, town-hall, museum, Mackenzie hall and market cross, the lastnamed standing in front of the old court-house, which is now used as a drill hall and fire-station.
The principal public buildings are the guildhall, town-hall and market-house, and public rooms, which include a museum of natural history.
The chief secular buildings are the town-hall (Rathaus), built in 1691 and enlarged in 1866, the government offices, the palace of justice, the central railway station and the exchange.
In front of the town-hall stands an equestrian statue of Otto the Great, erected about 1290.
The chief public building is the town hall (1760), a stately classic building surmounted by a lofty spire.
The public buildings include a town-hall and a library.
The public institutions include a good provincial museum of antiquities; an imperial palace, Katharinenthal, built by Peter the Great in 1719; and very valuable archives, preserved in the town hall (14th century).
The chief buildings are the Carmelite Priory (ruins dating perhaps from the 13th century); a Bluecoat school (1514); a free grammar school (1527); an orphan girl school (funds left by Thomas Howel to the Drapers' Co., in Henry VII.'s reign); the town hall (built in 1572 by Robert Dudley, earl of Leicester, enlarged and restored in 1780); an unfinished church (begun by Leicester); a market hall (with arcades or "rows," such as those of Chester or Yarmouth); and the old parish church of St Marcella.
The 13th-century town hall was restored in 1899 and now contains the municipal antiquarian museum, having been superseded by a more commodious building.
The principal buildings are the church of St Hilda, with a picturesque old tower; the town hall in the market-place, exchange, customhouse, mercantile marine offices, public library and museum, grammar school, marine school, master-mariners' asylum and seamen's institute.
Other noteworthy buildings are a grammar school, founded by John Bentley in 1660, and the town-hall.
The interior of the town hall (1869-1875) is adorned with legendary and historical frescoes by Kampfer and Peter Janssen.
The streets are broad, well paved, and adorned with many elegant buildings, among which are Roman Catholic, Lutheran and Calvinist churches, and a new town hall with a tower 165 ft.
Besides numerous churches and chapels the public buildings comprise a large town hall (1856), market house, exchange, county court, municipal offices, chamber of commerce, free library, and, outside the town, an infirmary.
Laibach is an episcopal see, and possesses a cathedral in the Italian style, several beautiful churches, a town hall in Renaissance style and a castle, built in the 15th century, on the Schlossberg, an eminence which commands the town.
It has also a Gothic town-hall, a castle, now used as barracks, and two fine squares.
It has an interesting and beautiful church (the Marien Kirche), with four spires (of which that on the transept is curiously crooked), built in the 13th century, and restored in 1876-1879; also several other ancient buildings, notably the town-hall, the Fiirstenhof (now administrative offices), and the Hexenthurm.
The new town hall adjoining the old hall of the Maison Dieu was opened in 1883.
There are, besides the town-hall, Royal College, public offices and theatre, large barracks and military stores.
The town-hall, a fine building in a modified Renaissance style (characteristic of the majority of the other public buildings), has a lofty tower.
Its massive Roman walls still survive, and recent excavations have revealed a town hall and market square, a temple, baths, amphitheatre, and many comfortable houses with mosaics, &c. An inscription shows that under the Roman Empire it was the chef-lieu of the Silures, whose ordo or county council provided for the local government of the district.
The town hall was rebuilt in 1884.
The town hall (1693) contains a remarkable painting of the town council by Terburg.
The old town-hall in the market square is a huge pile, dating originally from the 13th century, but with numerous additions.
The most prominent buildings are the Gothic church of St Bartholomew, said to date from 1292, whose tower (325 ft.) is the highest in Bohemia, and the fine Renaissance town hall dating from the 16th century.
The most notable public buildings are the cathedral (built in 1808), the arsenal and the town-hall.
Among other buildings worthy of mention (apart from those having naval or military connexion) the principal is the town-hall (1890), a fine classic building standing alone in a square, and surmounted by a handsome clock tower.
The picturesque town hall (1688) contains some finely decorated rooms with paintings by Johan van Neck, a collection of local antiquities and the archives.
The town-hall dates from 1406, while some of the houses belonging to the old gilds contain much of interest.
Among the secular buildings are the fine Schloss, the Bibliothek, the town hall and the post office.
Other noteworthy buildings are the picturesque weigh-house (1595), the town hall (1715), the provincial courts (1850), and the great church of St Jacob, once the church of the Jacobins, and the largest monastic church in the Netherlands.
In particular, it boasts a fine bathing-ghat, a town-hall, a marketplace, a tank to supply water, and a public garden.
The principal buildings are the town hall and the Hugh Miller Institute.
A mayor was elected from the beginning of the reign of Richard II., while a town hall is mentioned in 1395.
In this style are the town hall (1652), and a house dated 1580, in which was born in 1729 Thomas Percy, bishop of Dromore, the editor of the Reliques of Ancient English Poetry.
The town hall (Rathaus), an edifice in the Italian style, erected in 1616-1619, contains frescoes by DÃ¼rer, and a curious stucco relief of a tournament held at Nuremberg in 1446.
Upon it stand the town-hall and the former palace of the margraves of Bayreuth, now the main building of the university.
Among the principal public buildings are the town hall (1880), in the French Renaissance style; the county hall (1898), a handsome structure with octagonal tower and dome over the principal entrance; the large corn exchange (1837, enlarged 1862), including a concert-room; the market house, the sessions house, the county offices (1896) and the prison for the West Riding; the mechanics' institution with large library, church institute and library, and the fine art institution.
To the south of the castle lies the old town, with the market square, the town hall (lately restored and enlarged) and the town church..
The town hall is a castellated building, presented to the corporation by the duke of Norfolk.
It is one of the oldest towns in Silesia; its town hall dates from the 16th century, and it has a Roman Catholic church built in the 13th century and restored in 1862.
It has a cathedral of the same century, a triple Gothic edifice, restored in 1874 and containing the tombs of several grand masters of the Teutonic order; a (Gothic) town-hall (1880); a Roman Catholic basilica (1858); a non-commissioned officers' school; a monument of the war of 1870-71 (1897); an archaeological collection; and a seminary for female teachers.
The town-hall is also in Riddarhustorg, and a statue of Gustavus Vasa, unveiled in 1773 on the 250th anniversary of his accession to the throne, stands here.
They were both seized, tried and condemned as traitors, and were executed on the 5th of June 1568 in the great square before the town hall at Brussels.
It contains a fine Gothic Evangelical church, a Roman Catholic church, a synagogue and several schools, and has a town-hall, dating from the 15th century, and a Roland column.
The Hancock-Clarke House (built in part in 1698) is now owned by the Lexington Historical Society and contains a museum of revolutionary and other relics, which were formerly exhibited in the Town Hall.
The Cary Library in this village, with 25,000 volumes (1908), was founded in 1868, and was housed in the Town Hall from 1871 until 1906, when it was removed to the Cary Memorial Library building.
The town hall (1619), and the ducal castle, built by Duke Eric II.
Among the principal buildings are a Franciscan convent, with a rich library and an interesting collection of antiquities and ecclesiastical objects; a Piarist and a Minorite convent; a handsome new town-hall; and a natural history and historical museum to which is attached a public library.
It has a Gothic parish church, a palace - Schloss Wilhelmsburgwith an interesting chapel and a collection of antiquities, and possesses a Gothic town hall in which the important Protestant League of Schmalkalden, or Smalkald, was concluded in 1531, and also the house in which the articles of Schmalkalden were drawn up in 1537 by Luther, Melanchthon and other reformers.
It possesses an old town hall dating from 1566, a hospital, a lunatic asylum, an orphanage, and a large parish church rebuilt in 1756; but the chief interest centres in the church of the Holy Sepulchre, built in 1337, which attracts thousands of pilgrims to its Porta Caeli or Gaadenpforte (Gate of Mercy) opened annually on Michaelmas eve and closed again on the 4th of October.
Among the public buildings are the town-hall (17th century), weigh-house, orphanage, the old almshouse, the house (1613) of the Water Commissioners, and a large building formerly belonging to the admiralty and now used as a state lunatic asylum.
The town hall and the university buildings, dating from 1712 and restored in 1886, are commonplace erections; but to the south of the Ludwigsplatz, upon which most of the academical buildings lie, stands the new university library, a handsome structure of pink sandstone in German Renaissance style.
The town hall and the Standehaus, where the meetings of the provincial estates were held, are also noteworthy buildings.
Other buildings are the church of St Nicholas (restored in 1877-1884), dating from 1240, with a lofty steeple; the old town-hall on the market square; the church of the Holy Ghost; three fine modern churches, those of St James, and St Jurgen and of St Ansgar; and the theatre.
At a short distance from this line are the new town-hall, the mint, the imperial bank and the royal theatre.
The town hall was built in the 17th and altered in the 18th century.
Among the modern buildings are the theatre, the barracks, the bourse, a large hospital, the new town-hall, superseding a building of the 13th century, and the new government buildings.
When on the 30th of July 1419, the Hussite priest, John of Zelivo, was leading a procession through the streets of Prague, stones were thrown at him and his followers from the town hall of the " new town."
The Hussites, led by John Zizka, stormed the town-hall and threw the magistrates from its windows.
The town has a cathedral, a fine town hall (1897-99), navigation schools, technical schools, and a good municipal library.
The town hall of Salzburg was built in 1407 and restored in 1675.
There are a gymnasium, two hospitals dating from the 14th century and an old town-hall.
It is a modern, well-built town, with a fine town-hall and well-arranged school.
The principal buildings are the Marienkirche, a Gothic building of the 13th century, the Johanniskirche, the town-hall and the grand ducal palace.
The council house and town hall was completed in 1905; there are two theatres, a free library and museum, and an institute of science and art.
There are a cathedral, the church of St Benedict and other churches, with Romanesque 14th-century facades; the town-hall; and the prefecture, with Romanesque arcades.
The post office formerly served as town hall.
The principal other public buildings are the church of St Margaret with a beautiful portal and a lofty tower, founded in the 12th century, twice burnt down, and rebuilt in its present form in 1652; the church of the Augustinian convent, with an altar-piece by the painter Simon Jacobs; the theatre; the fire insurance bank and the life insurance bank; the ducal palace, in the Italian villa style, with a winter garden and picture gallery; the buildings of the ducal legislature; the hospital; the old town-hall, dating from the i ith century; the old residence of the painter Lucas Cranach, now used as a girls' school; the ducal stable; and the Friedrichsthal palace, now used as public offices.
There are a royal palace and an old and a new town-hall (the older one having been built in 1422 and restored in 1886-1888), a museum and a municipal library with interesting manuscripts and a collection of Bibles, also classical, commercial and industrial schools.
There are several high-grade schools, monuments to the emperor William I., Bismarck and Moltke, and, in the town-hall, a collection of antiquities.
The palace is an imposing building in the classical style, originally built as a town-hall in 1648-1655 by the architect Jacob van Kempen.
The nucleus of this unsurpassed national collection of pictures was formed out of the collections removed hither from the Pavilion at Haarlem, consisting of modern paintings, and from the town-hall, the van der Hoop Museum and the Trippenhuis in Amsterdam.
The county-hall and town-hall, overlooking a broad market-place, are the principal public buildings.
He places Palaeopolis at Gaiola Point and has discovered the remains of the harbour, the town hall and various other rudiments of the ancient city.
The town hall is a fine building in Grecian style, well placed in a square between Park Lane and Great George Street.
The Mechanics' Institute (1865) occupies a handsome Italian building in Cookridge Street near the town hall.
The chief public buildings are the town hall (1872), art gallery (1891), and free library (1878).
The public buildings include a library and reading-room and town hall.
A noteworthy building in the town is the octagonal town-hall, dating from 1747.
The only noteworthy buildings are the town-hall and the principal Evangelical church, which contains a fine monument to Louis IX.
It possesses two Evangelical churches and one Roman Catholic, a town hall occupying the site of the castle of the princes of Leiningen-Hartenburg, an antiquarian and a scientific society, a public library and a high school.
Its chief buildings are a fine town-hall with lofty clock-tower and spire (1889), containing the municipal offices, free library, &c.; the exchange, county court, Dorman memorial museum and Roman Catholic cathedral.
The Oak Chair in the town-hall also is made from a fragment.
On the 21st of June 1621 the principal leaders of the rising against the house of Habsburg were beheaded in the market of the old town near the town hall.
The centre of the old town and indeed of the entire community of Prague is the town hall (staromestska radnice), which is surrounded by the market-place, the scene of the execution of the Bohemian patriots in 1621.
In the market-place opposite the town hall is situated the ancient T`-n church, memorable as having been the religious centre of the Hussite movement.
Close to the town hall is the Joseph-Stadt, the ancient ghetto of Prague.
The Celetna ulice, which leads from the town hall to the limits of the old town contains at its extremity the so-called powder tower (prasna brcina).
Near the Karlov church is the Karlovo Namesti (place of Chat les), in which is situated the former town hall of the " new town," from the windows of which the councillors were thrown at the beginning of the Hussite wars.
It possesses a new Kurhaus, fifteen bathing-establishments, a parish church in late Gothic style, and a town-hall, which contains interesting archives.
The general plan of the small country towns is that of streets laid out at right angles, and a large central market square near which are the chief church, town hall and other public buildings.
The municipal buildings, which contain the free library and reading-room, stand on the site of the old town hall.
The only noteworthy buildings are the town hall (1730-1733), the West church, which consists of a part of the former castle of Harlingen, the Roman Catholic church, the Jewish synagogue and the schools of navigation and of design.
It has two Roman Catholic Churches and a Lutheran Church, a fine medieval inspired town-hall, two interesting old gates, remains of its former environing walls and cloister, several public monuments, including one to the veterans of the Napoleonic wars, and a museum.
The old town hall (Rathaus) contains a very valuable library, having at its entrance a fine flight of steps.
There is also a new town hall which was erected in 1904-1906.
They include the custom house (1812) in the Grecian style; Trinity House (1817), also Grecian, containing Sir Henry Raeburn's portrait of Admiral Lord Duncan, David Scott's "Vasco da Gama Rounding the Cape" and other paintings; the markets (1818); the town hall (1828), with an Ionic façade on Constitution Street and a Doric porch on Charlotte Street; the corn exchange (1862) in the Roman style; the assembly rooms; exchange buildings; the public institute (1867) and Victoria public baths (1899).
The town hall (1880) and the corporation offices (1877) are handsome classic buildings; the Ramsden Estate buildings are a very fine block of the mixed Italian order.
The picturesque town hall (built in 1565 and restored and enlarged in 1882) contains a historical picture gallery.
The fine town hall was founded by the prince of Wales in 1901.
The principal secular buildings are the town-hall, the county and city courts and prisons, the custom-house and the barracks.
The old town-hall, restored in 1894, contains a Protestant upper gymnasium, founded in 1 544, and one of the oldest printing establishments in Hungary, founded in 1585.
Off this are the market square, containing the grandducal palace, built in 1742, where the duchess Helene of Orleans long resided, the town-hall, and the late Gothic St Georgenkirche; and the square on which stands the Nikolaikirche, a fine Romanesque building, built about 1150 and restored in 1887.
The church of St Kristine (c. 1650), the court-houses, town-hall, government buildings, and high school, are noteworthy.
Besides several churches and a synagogue, there are a town hall (1836), a hospital, an orphan asylum, the "palace" of the board of marine, a meteorological observatory, a zoological station and a lighthouse.
The chief public buildings are the town hall (1871), exchange, agricultural hall, free library and theatres.
The town hall was built by Sir William Drake in 1642.
Noteworthy also are the old palace of the bishops, now a clerical seminary, the theological lyceum and the town-hall.
The principal buildings are the town-hall, county buildings, corn exchange, mechanics' institute and the public library.
Bolsward also possesses a beautiful renaissance town-hall (1614-1618) and various educational and charitable institutions, including a music and a drawing school.
Among public buildings are a town-hall (1887) and town offices, and a school of science and art.
Besides the old ducal palace, laid in ruins by the French in 1794, but restored in 1846, the secular buildings comprise the government offices, the postoffice in Italian style, the town hall on the market square, the law courts, the municipal music hall, the municipal theatre, the assembly hall of the Rhenish provincial diet, an Italian Renaissance edifice erected in 1879, the academy of art (1881; in pure Renaissance), the industrial art museum (1896), the historical museum, and the industrial art school.
The town hall (rebuilt in 1829) contains a collection of pictures.
Public buildings include the town hall and exchange, town offices, county hall and free library.
Among the town's principal secular buildings are the new Gothic town-hall, the post office and the railway station.
The principal public buildings are the town-hall, a somewhat ornate market house, the gildhall, the public hall, the infirmary, the antiquarian museum (including some valuable fossil remains) and the public and mechanics' libraries.
Peter and Paul, which was almost entirely reconstructed in 1854, the town hall and corn exchange are the chief buildings.
The town hall was built as a palace by Maarten van Rossum, Duke Charles's general, at the end of the 15th century, and was only converted to its present use in 1830.
It consists of an old and a new town, the latter mostly rebuilt since a destructive fire in 1833, and has an old château of the princes of Schwarzburg, three Protestant churches, a seminary for teachers, a hospital and a modern town-hall.
A Latin inscription on the town-hall records the fact that this place was the residence of the first Spanish kings after the spread of the Moors over the Peninsula.
The town, which has a town-hall and assembly rooms, possesses iron foundries and a considerable agricultural trade, with cattle fairs.
The town hall dates from 1844, and contains a beautiful hall with rich stained glass windows.
These suburbs contain the town-hall, theatre, markets, and a bull-ring with seats for 12,000 spectators.
It is ornamented by numerous brick buildings of the 14th and 15th centuries, including the turreted walls, the church of St Stephen (1376),(1376), and the late Gothic town hall.
A new town-hall was erected in 1895-1898.
There is also an ancient market-house, used as a town-hall.
The town-hall was erected in 1766 after the designs of Sir William Chambers.
The town-hall, built in 1512, and several fine houses in the Renaissance style, also deserve mention.
It is built partly on an island and partly on the left bank of the Oder; and owing to the fortified enceinte having been pushed farther afield, new quarters have been opened up. Among its most important buildings are the cathedral, in the Gothic, and a castle (now used as a courthouse), in the Renaissance style, two other Roman Catholic and three Protestant churches, a new town-hall, a synagogue, a military hospital, two classical schools (Gymnasien) and several libraries.
There are a Protestant and three Roman Catholic churches, among the latter the parish church with a crypt dating from the 11th century, and a medieval town hall.
The town-hall (1546, largely restored in 1864) contains a handsome chamber, the Knutssal, formerly used by the council of the gild of Canute.
Here the chief buildings are the church, town-hall, market-hall and corn exchange.
The regular announcer was Jay Stewart, who also worked on the ' Town Hall Party ' shows.
Remember also to allow time for your marriage banns to be posted in your local church or Town Hall prior to your wedding day.
Over 400 people came to Chiswick town hall to paint a canvas & £ 3000 was raised which we donated to the DEC.
James Gibbs chose cast copper sash windows in 1750 for what is now Warrington Town Hall.
But he does not yet seem to be stalking any town hall corridors.
Richmond Town Hall will host the photographic exhibition, showing the 2nd Battalion between 1952 and 1956.
The palace faces a large square with the town hall on the opposite side.
Members of the public will be able to attend the hearings at Manchester Town Hall.
One night in the fall of 1899 a local presbyterian minister found half a dozen boys on the steps of the small town hall.
Dave Prentis will join pickets at the Judd Street entrance of Camden Town Hall at 11am tomorrow.
Retrospectively, neon seems as stodgy as the carving on a Victorian town hall.
Fordwich has an ancient town hall which was rebuilt in 1555 and is reputed to be the smallest town hall in the country.
By 1857 he provided the Committee with a large drawing showing a new town hall somewhat in the manner of a large French chateau.
The oldest town hall in Wolverhampton was in High Green.
The contact details are available from your local town hall.
One night in the fall of 1899 a local Presbyterian minister found half a dozen boys on the steps of the small town hall.
Robert Paul, his wood turner, set up his shop where the Town Hall now stands.
There may also be mentioned a large number of other places of worship, a town hall with fine classical facade and tower, market hall, museums of natural history and of art and industry, an exchange, assembly rooms, and various benevolent institutions.
In the council chamber of the town-hall (1288-1323) is a fresco by Lippo Memmi of the Madonna enthroned of 1317, copied closely from the similar fresco (the "Majestas") by his master Simone di Martino in the Palazzo Pubblico at Siena; there is also a curious frescoed frieze of 1291, with knights in armour.
The most conspicuous building is the old ducal castle of Hohentubingen, built in1507-1535on a hill overlooking the town, and now containing the university library of 460,000 volumes, the observatory, the chemical laboratory, &c. Among the other chief buildings are the quaint old Stiftskirche (1469-1483), a Gothic building containing the tombs of the rulers of Wurttemberg, the new aula and numerous institutes of the university, all of which are modern, and the town-hall dating from 1435 and restored in 1872.
The most interesting buildings are the old fortified chÃ¢teau of the 16th century, with its Gothic chapel restored in 1880; the church of St Bartholomew, dating in its present form from 1538; the new town hall (1894); the Griines Tor, also built in 1538; and the handsome new synagogue.
Street, is a fine example of modern Gothic. Among the principal buildings and institutions are the town-hall, museum of the natural history society, theatre and opera-house (1880), market, schools of art and science, the Torbay infirmary and dispensary, the Western hospital for consumption, Crypt House institution for invalid ladies and the Mildmay home for incurable consumptives.
The old town-hall is a quaint Slavonic adaptation of Romanesque forms. The royal castle, begun in 1905 and completed in 1910 at a cost of £250,000, is a pretentious building in what is officially called Romanesque style.
Among the other noteworthy buildings of Freiburg are the palaces of the grand duke and the archbishop, the old town-hall, the theatre, the Kaufhaus or merchants' hall, a 16th-century building with a handsome faÃ§ade, the church of St Martin, with a graceful spire restored 1880-1881, the new town-hall, completed 1901, in Renaissance style, and the Protestant church, formerly the church of the abbey of Thennenbach, removed hither in 1839.
On the market square stands the fine town hall (Rathaus), dating from the 15th century, with a handsome Renaissance faÃ§ade of a somewhat later date, and before it a stone statue of Roland, the emblem of civic power.
Opposite to the abbey church (see below) stands the town hall (1879-1882), which originated in a bequest by George Aitken Clark (1823-1873), and was completed by his relatives, the thread manufacturers of Anchor Mills.
The town hall (Rathaus), an edifice in the Italian style, erected in 1616-1619, contains frescoes by DÃƒ¼rer, and a curious stucco relief of a tournament held at Nuremberg in 1446.