Tower Sentence Examples
The tower stood complete in every part.
The tower was in pieces, the building at its base a gaping crater.
The church of St Peter is Perpendicular, with a lofty tower and spire.
Not long ago I tried to show her how to build a tower with her blocks.
The worst part was the fact that the cell phone tower in their area was out.Advertisement
There are portions probably of the 12th and 13th centuries, but the bulk of the building is of the 17th century, and considerable additions, including the tower and spire, were made in the 19th.
The concentrated activity which had begun at the Emperor's headquarters in the morning and had started the whole movement that followed was like the first movement of the main wheel of a large tower clock.
The tower is still standing and is remarkable for its increase in size as it rises, which causes it to rock in a strong wind.
On the mount of Olives are the Russian church, tower and hospice, near the chapel of the Ascension; the French Paternoster church; the Carmelite nunnery; and the Russian church of St Mary Magdalene, near Gethsemane.
An old tower attributed to them is to be seen in the village, and in the surrounding mountains are many remains of early monasticism.Advertisement
A climax was reached when the difficulties with Russia arose which led to the Crimean War; the prince was accused by the peace party of wanting war, and by the war party of plotting surrender; and it came to be publicly rumoured that the queen's husband had been found conspiring against the state, and had been committed to the Tower.
Watch, and as soon as the soldiers are ready to start, hang a lantern in the tower of the old North Church.
In the distance was a dark swath of park leading up to the lit-up Eiffel Tower, which was larger than she'd imagined.
The church of the Holy Trinity, the oldest part of which dates from about 1 200, is a Gothic building with five aisles and a square tower.
Her father, having been warned by an oracle that she would bear a son by whom he would be slain, confined Danae in a brazen tower.Advertisement
Even in summer the double period is not prominent in the arctic climate of Karasjok or on the top of the Eiffel Tower.
The town has wide streets and contains several old churches, one of which, a Roman Catholic church, built in the 14th century, has a tower 33 o ft.
At or near the tower Hananeel the wall turned south along the east side of the Tyropoeon valley, and then again westward, crossing the valley at a point probably near the remarkable construction known as Wilson's arch.
He doubled the area of the enclosure round the Temple, and there can be little doubt that a great part of the walls of the Haram area date from the time of Herod, while probably the tower of David, which still exists near the Jaffa Gate, is on the same foundation as one of the towers adjoining his palace.
The church is Byzantine in style, and has been partially restored; but the main tower dates from the year 1210, when it was founded by St Sava, the patron saint of Servia.Advertisement
The Royal Mint is on Tower Hill.
His first duty was to examine the Anabaptist prisoners in the Tower.
The result was that Shaftesbury, Buckingham, Wharton and Salisbury were sent to the Tower.
The church of St Mary and St Nicholas is a cruciform building in red sandstone, of the Decorated and Perpendicular periods, with a central octagonal tower.
The attack on Hispaniola, however, was a disastrous failure, and though a landing at Jamaica and the capture of the capital, Santiago de la Vega, was effected, the expedition was almost annihilated by disease; and Penn and Venables returned to England, when Cromwell threw them into the Tower.Advertisement
He arrested the persons who refused to pay taxes, and sent Cony's lawyers to the Tower.
The church df All Saints is a large cruciform building with low central tower.
Danby had removed to the country, but returned on the 21st of April to avoid the threatened passing by the Lords of the attainder, and was sent to the Tower.
Among the other 55 churches may be mentioned that of St Nicholas, an Early Gothic building, the oldest church in date of foundation in Ghent, and that of St Michael, completed in 1480, with an unfinished tower.
Scarcely a trace of the castle exists, although its site near St Clement's church is locally known as Tower Hill.
It is beautifully placed near the river, and is a fine cruciform structure, partly Early English and partly Perpendicular, with a central tower and lofty octagonal spire.
Murray's influence, however, being now supreme, he embarked in December for France, but was driven by storms on to Holy Island, where he was detained, and was subsequently, on the 18th of January 1564, seized at Berwick and sent by Elizabeth to the Tower, whence he was soon liberated and proceeded to France.
The last of the dukes of Norfolk had left a child heir, Anne Mowbray, married to the infant duke of York, the younger of the princes doomed by Richard in the Tower.
Thomas Howard, a politic mind, loyal to the powers that be, was released from the Tower of London in 1489, his earldom of Surrey and his Garter restored.
He himself was attainted and was lying a prisoner in the Tower, doomed to die in the morning, on the night of the death of Henry VIII.
Ten months in the Tower under strong suspicion would have warned another man, but Norfolk was unstable and false.
He died on Tower Hill in 1572 for an example to the disloyal counties, protesting innocence and repentance, warning his children in a last letter to discredit all "false bruits" that he was a papist.
But his ship was boarded in the Channel and the earl, condemned by the StarChamber to a heavy fine and to imprisonment during the queen's pleasure, suffered a harsh captivity in the Tower.
The Viscount Stafford was one of the "five Popish lords" committed to the Tower in 1678 as a result of the slanders of Titus Oates and he died by the axe in 1680 upon testimony which, as the diarist Evelyn protested, "should not be taken against the life of a dog."
The church of St Helen stands near the river, and its fine Early English tower with Perpendicular spire is the principal object in the pleasant views of the town from the river.
The church of St Michael has a Norman square embattled tower surmounted by a spire, and an apsidal chancel.
St Michael's, the parish church, has a striking Perpendicular tower, an arch of carved oak dividing its nave and chancel, a magnificent rood-loft, and a 13th-century monument doubtfully described as the tomb of Bracton, the famous lawyer, whose birthplace, according to local tradition, was Bratton Court in the vicinity.
It has a town hall with handsome rooms, a library, a gymnasium, a lyceum, elementary schools, an arsenal, and eleven churches, the finest of which is St Martin's, of the 15th century, with many excellent paintings and a tower 300 ft.
The state capitol stands in a square 8 acres in extent, and has a central tower and dome 240 ft.
The tower, of Frankish or Turkish date, that stood on the south wing, was pulled down in 1874.
The brick tower in Pavia in which he was confined was, and still is, an object of reverence to the country people.
Of this the ancient remains include a picturesque tower and bridge.
On an islet in the lake stands a ruined "broth" or round tower.
Tower (1903), of nervures similar to those of the hind-wing, and by the proof that the small membranous structures present beneath the elytra of certain beetles, believed by Meinert to represent the whole of the true fore-wings, are in reality only the alulae.
In the principal square stands the town hall, built in1448-1457in the VenetianGothic style, and skilfully restored after a fire in 1876; opposite is a clock tower resembling that of the Piazza di San Marco at Venice.
Each of the sixteen gates of the city is protected by a semi-circular enceinte, and is surmounted by a high tower built in galleries and provided with countless loopholes.
In the Drum Tower incense-sticks, specially prepared by the astronomical board, are kept burning to mark the passage of time, in which important duty their accuracy is checked by a clepsydra.
There are also a round tower, 80 ft.
On the 2nd Anne herself was committed to the Tower on a charge of adultery with various persons, including her own brother, Lord Rochford.
The same day all her reputed lovers were executed; and on the 19th she herself suffered death on Tower Green, her head being struck off with a sword by the executioner of Calais brought to England for the purpose.'
It flows at first through rather monotonous country, but the latter portion of its course, from the village of Altenahr, over which tower the ruins of the castle of Ahr, or Are (10th century), is full of romantic beauty.
He commanded a troop of horse in Scotland in 1639; was involved in army plots in 1641, for which he was committed to the Tower, but escaped abroad; and on the outbreak of the Civil War returned to England and served with Prince Rupert, being present at Marston Moor, the second battle of Newbury and Naseby.
Adjoining the town on the south-east is the beautifully-wooded Cluny Hill, a favourite public resort, carrying on its summit the tower, 70 ft.
The abbey church of St Mary the Virgin is a stately cruciform building with central tower, the nave and choir having aisles and clerestory.
Some pre-Norman work appears in the western wall, the tower arches and south porch are Norman, and there are an Early English chapel and some Decorated windows.
When their forces met at Jericho, Hyrcanus, finding that the bulk of his following deserted to Aristobulus, fled with those who remained to the tower Antonia and seized Aristobulus's wife and children as hostages for his own safety.
The vestments had been stored there since the time of the first high priest named Hyrcanus, and Herod had taken them over along with the tower, thinking that his possession of them would deter the Jews from rebellion against his rule.
Among the noteworthy buildings are the "Zwinger," a tower with walls 23 ft.
Here are the ruins of a palace of the native khans, built in the 16th century; the mosques of the Persian shahs, built in 1078 and now converted into an arsenal; nearer the sea the "maidens' tower," transformed into a lighthouse; and not far from it remains of ancient walls projecting above the sea, and showing traces of Arabic architecture of the 9th and 10th centuries.
The prisoners were lodged at first in the smaller Tower, but were removed to the larger Tower on the 27th of October.
The child was now taken out to walk on the roof of the Tower.
The dauphin was concealed in the fourth storey of the Tower, a wooden figure being substituted for him.
It is cruciform, with a central tower, and has been so restored as to preserve its ancient beauty.
The church of St Nicholas is a cruciform Perpendicular structure with a beautiful central tower, and some portions of earlier date.
The fine tower in this style is characteristic of this part of England.
It is by Wren, but there are traces of the previous Gothic edifice in the tower.
Its clock tower, surmounted by a statue of Mars, dates from the previous century.
Among interesting ancient buildings may be mentioned the palace within the fort, containing an armoury and fine library; and the Brihadiswaraswami temple, of the r rth century, enclosed in two courts, surmounted by a lofty tower and including the exquisitely decorated shrine of Subrahmanya.
Sheffield, speaker of the House of Commons, were both sent to the Tower for complaining of his conduct.
He succeeded in escaping from the Tower, but was again captured, was condemned to death by the new "high court of justice" on the 8th of March 1649, and was beheaded together with the duke of Hamilton and Lord Holland the next day.
In the middle of the market-place stands the old town hall, with red tower and cupola, known from its situation as the Mid Steeple, built by Tobias Bachup of Alloa (1708).
It has a stately transitional Norman tower, and three fine Norman arches.
The Early English style is on the whole less well exemplified in the county, but Ashbourne church, with its central tower and lofty spire, contains beautiful details of this period, notably the lancet windows in the Cockayne chapel.
The parish churches of Dronfield, Hathersage (with some notable stained glass), Sandiacre and Tideswell exemplify the Decorated period; the last is a particularly stately and beautiful building, with a lofty and ornate western tower and some good early brasses.
The more modern buildings include the City Hall, a fine granite structure (completed in 1893), with a tower 180 ft.
The (Roman Catholic) church of St Theobald (1351) is an elegant specimen of Gothic, and has a remarkably fine tower (1450-1516), 266 ft.
The legend of the Mouse Tower at Bingen is connected with Hatto II., who was archbishop of Mainz from 968 to 970.
St Mary's church in the centre of the town possesses a massive tower of the 12th century.
The town suffered much from the incursions of the Scots, and Ralph, earl of Westmorland, who died 1426, built the castle, but a tower called the Bishop's Tower had been previously erected on the same site.
The church of All Saints has a good Perpendicular tower, but the remainder is extensively restored.
The principal public building is the town hall, completed in 1863 after the designs of Sir Charles Barry; it is a handsome Palladian building with a tower.
Of churches the most noteworthy is that of St John the Baptist, the parish church, a Perpendicular building with lofty western tower.
The Square chapel, erected by the Congregationalists in 18J7, is a striking cruciform building with a tower and elaborate crocketed spire.
These were at one time more numerous than at the present day; earthquakes and subsidence of foundations have brought many of them down, the latest to fall being the great tower of San Marco itself, which collapsed on July 14th, 1902.
Christ church (1723) is the oldest church of the city; in its tower the signal lanterns were displayed for Paul Revere on the night of the 18th of April 1775.
The large parish church of St Teilo has a low embattled Perpendicular tower.
The tower of the Groote Kerk of St Catherine serves as a lighthouse.
It may be more conveniently prepared by passing the vapour of sulphur over red hot charcoal, the unccndensed gases so produced being led into a tower containing plates over which a vegetable oil is allowed to flow in order to absorb any carbon bisulphide vapour, and then into a second tower containing lime, which absorbs any sulphuretted hydrogen.
Among the earlier buildings of this period is the Horologium The Horo- of Andronicus of Cyrrhus (the " Tower of the Winds"), logium of still standing near the eastern end of the Roman Agora.
His palace was in the Propylaea; the lofty " Tower of the Franks," which adjoined the south wing of that building, was possibly built in his time.
The north-west tower has a Perpendicular upper portion, but the south-west tower is destroyed.
The central tower and the south portal (13th century) are the chief features of its simple exterior; in the interior, the decorative work, notably the chapel-screens and some fine stained glass, is remarkable.
The police station is partly accommodated in an ancient square tower, once the stronghold of the Johnstones, for a long period the ruling family under whose protection the town gradually grew up. At Dryfe Sands, about 2 m.
He was an ardent Liberal in politics, and in 1880 he was elected to parliament for the Tower Hamlets division of London; in 1885 he was returned for South Aberdeen, where he was reelected on succeeding occasions.
Refusing to take the oath, he was committed (15th of April) to the Tower, where he suffered greatly from the rigours of a long confinement.
He was beheaded on Tower Hill on the 22 nd of June 1535, after saying the Te Deum and the psalm In to Domine speravi.
Peter's ad vincula in the Tower, where it lies beside that of Sir Thomas More.
The principal Protestant church is a Gothic building dating from the end of the 13th century, with a fine tower, and a choir of later date (1410).
The church tower dates from 1521, but the old town was destroyed by fire in 1833.
The old burying-ground was the kirkyard of the former parish church, the tower of which still exists, but a modern cemetery has been formed in Sunnyside.
Alloa Park, the seat of the earl of Mar and Kellie, is in the immediate vicinity, and in its grounds stand the ruins of Alloa Tower, an ancient structure 89 ft.
She is also designated as Nin-Khar-sag, "Lady of the mountain," which name stands in some relationship to Im-Khar-sag, "storm mountain" - the name of the staged tower or sacred edifice to Bel at Nippur.
In 1837 the tower and transepts were fitted for divine service.
The 17th-century spire was removed in 1707, and replaced by a square tower, which was rebuilt in 1797; the chancel was rebuilt in 1869.
The church of St Peter and St Paul is Perpendicular (largely restored) with a lofty tower.
The church of St Gwendoline, restored in 1873, is in Perpendicular style, with an embattled tower restored in 1898.
This is the so-called multangular tower, on the N.W.
It is a square tower built over a circular, probably Norman, arch, and has embattled corner turrets.
Of the fortress built by William the Conqueror in 1068 some portions were probably incorporated in Clifford's tower, the shell of which, showing an unusual ground plan of four intersecting circles, rises from an artificial mound.
With the erection of this tower the church was completed as it now stands, and on the 3rd of February 1472 it was reconsecrated by Archbishop Neville.
The more conspicuous buildings are the ancient Gothic cathedral (restored in 1866, and again in 1870 after the interior was destroyed by fire), with its lofty tower, the cavalry barracks, the ex-convent of the Capuchins at a little distance from the city, and the seminary in which are preserved the famous Oscan inscription known as the Cippus Abellanus (from Abella, the modern Avella, q.v.) and some Latin inscriptions relating to a treaty with Nola regarding a joint temple of Hercules.
After the victory of Nicopolis the siege of Constantinople was resumed, and the tower of Anatoli Hissar, on the Asiatic side of the Bosporus, was now built.
Mustafa, who had crossed the strait and fled northwards, was taken, brought to Adrianople, and hanged from a tower of the serai (1422).
This consists of a huge tower of unburned brick resting on a small hill of debris, the whole rising to a height of loo ft.
The church of St Michael is a fine Perpendicular and Decorated building of black flint, surmounted by a tower 96 ft.
The chief building in Agen is the cathedral of St Caprais, the most interesting portion of which is the apse of the 12th century with its three apse-chapels; the transept dates from the 12th and 13th centuries, the nave from the 14th to the 16th centuries; the tower flanking the south facade is modern.
There are several other churches, among them the church of the Jacobins, a brick building of the 13th century, and the church of St Hilaire of the 16th century, which has a modern tower.
The principal buildings are the town hall, with some ancient furniture, a large 15th century church with a notable square tower, a municipal orphanage, and the Nassau-Veluwe gymnasium.
It is known as Wolsey's Tower, but is apparently part of Waynflete's foundation.
It was in the keep, and not, as tradition says, in the much later "Black Tower" (also called "Duke Robert's Tower"), that Robert, duke of Normandy, was imprisoned by order of his brother Henry I.
The only other building of historic interest is the church of St John the Baptist, which is in the Perpendicular style, its fine tower having been built about 1443 by Hart, who also built the towers of Wrexham and St Stephen's, Bristol.
It lies on a gentle eminence in the flat fen country, and the fine Perpendicular tower and spire of the church of St Mary are a landmark from far.
The Dynamics of a Particle was written on the occasion of the contest between Gladstone and Mr Gathorne Hardy (afterwards earl of Cranbrook); and The New Belfry in ridicule of the erection put up at Christ Church for the bells that were removed from the Cathedral tower.
The Michaeliskirche, which is built on the highest point in the city and has a tower 428 ft.
The cruciform cathedral, with a low pinnacled tower, stands on the site of a church which the English destroyed in 1071 (dedicated to, and perhaps founded, about 525, by St Deiniol).
Bishop Dean (temp. Henry VII.) rebuilt the choir, Bishop Skevyngton (1532) added tower and nave.
The western gable with its flamboyant window and Gothic door and the massive square tower are all that is left of the original edifice.
Immediately adjoining the cathedral to the southwest stands the Round Tower, built about 1000.
Its church of St Nicholas (16th century) has a tower 200 ft.
The massive and richly decorated square tower in the centre of the west façade, which for centuries terminated in a temporary spire, was completed in 1890, according to the original plans, by the addition of an octagonal storey and a tall open spire (528 ft.), the loftiest ecclesiastical erection in the world, outstripping the twin spires of Cologne cathedral by 21 ft.
It has a fine Perpendicular church dedicated to St Mary, with a lofty, well-proportioned tower and many interesting monuments.
Thus they make Mer y a sort of watch tower over the entrance into Afghanistan on the north-west and at the same time create a stepping-stone or etape between north-east Persia and the states of Bokhara and Samarkand.
The old church at St Mary Church, north of Torquay, was rebuilt in Early Decorated style; and in 1871 a tower was erected as a memorial to Dr Phillpotts, bishop of Exeter, who with his wife is buried in the churchyard.
It is a fine cruciform structure of Decorated character, with a central tower 170 ft.
The town, which is quite modern, contains many churches and chapels of all denominations, a town hall, public libraries, the Victoria hospital, three piers, theatres, ball-rooms, and other places of public amusement, including a lofty tower, resembling the Eiffel Tower of Paris.
He was sent on the 26th of June 1683 to the Tower, and, looking upon himself as a dying man, betook himself wholly to preparation for death.
He behaved with his usual quiet cheerfulness during his stay in the Tower, spending his last day on earth as he had intended to spend the following Sunday if he had reached it.
The cathedral (dedicated to St Nicholas the Pilgrim, a Greek assassinated at Trani in 1094 and canonized by Urban II.), on a raised open site near the sea, was consecrated, before its completion, in 1143; it is a basilica with three apses, a large crypt and a lofty tower, the latter erected in1230-1239by the architect whose name appears on the ambo in the cathedral of Bitonto, Nicolaus Sacerdos.
Some remains of the town still exist, including a tower of the city wall in brick.
It was once the western tower of the church of St Eloi, from which it is now separated by a street.
Lauder also began the tower, completed in 1501.
Argyll Tower, in which Archibald, 9th earl of Argyll, spent his last days (1685), was also restored in 1892 by Mr William Nelson.
The choir (restored in 1873 by public subscription) is a fine example of 15th-century architecture, and the Gothic crown surmounting the central tower forms one of the most characteristic features in every view of the city.
To the south of the metropolis are Colinton (pop. 5499), on the Water of Leith, with several mansions that once belonged to famous men, such as Dreghorn Castle and Bonally Tower; and Currie (pop. 2513), which was a Roman station and near which are Curriehill Castle (held by the rebels against Queen Mary), the ruins of Lennox Tower, and Riccarton, the seat of the GibsonCraigs, one of the best-known Midlothian families.
The parish church of St Giles is believed to have been erected in the reign of Alexander I., about 1110, and the huge Norman keep of the castle, built by his younger brother, David I., continued to be known as David's Tower till its destruction in the siege of 1572.
A short distance from the town is Khatmia, containing a tomb mosque with a high tower, the headquarters of the Morgani family.
The light and elegant tower (Torre del Mangla) soaring from one side of the palace was begun in 1338 and finished after 1348, and the chapel standing at its foot, raised at the expense of the Opera del Duomo as a public thank-offering after the plague of 1348, begun in 1352 and completed in 1376.
Several styles are represented in its architecture which for the most part is the work of the 11th, 12th and 13th centuries; the eastern apse and the tower date from the reign of Louis XV.
Some relics of old military architecture survive, among them a cylindrical tower of the 15th century near the Porte Notre-Dame, the southern gate of the city, and the Porte Rivotte, a gate of the 16th century, flanked by two round towers.
The post office is a handsome sandstone building in Renaissance style; it is colonnaded on two sides with polished granite columns and surmounted by a clock tower, containing a peal of bells.
The town-hall, a large florid building of Classic order, stands on an eminence, and its clock tower forms a landmark; it contains the spacious Centennial Hall (commemorating the first Australian colonization here in 1787), and has one of the finest organs in the world.
Adjoining the town hall is the Anglican cathedral of St Andrew, in the Perpendicular style; it has two towers at the west end and a low central tower above the intersection of the nave and transepts, with a very handsome chapter house.
Horne Tooke was arrested early on the morning of the 16th of May 1794, and conveyed to the Tower.
The parish church (1769) has some columns of an earlier building, interesting brasses and strong embattled tower.
A mile and a half from the town, on the Lochy, stands the grand old ruin of Inverlochy Castle, a massive quadrangular pile with a round tower at each corner, a favourite subject with landscape painters.
While this was in progress Tyler with a small band of followers returned to the Tower, which they entered, and dragged forth Archbishop Sudbury and Sir Robert Hales from the chapel and murdered them on Tower Hill.
St John's church is a Gothic edifice with a lofty tower; St Salvator's was built about 1720.
In the 3rd century Bronwen (white bosom), daughter of Bran Fendigaid (the blessed), is said to have stayed here, perhaps by force; and there was here a tower, called Twr Bronwen, and replaced about A.D.
The Romanesque church of St Gertrude, named after Itta's daughter, dates from the II th century, but has been badly restored and is disfigured by a heavy tower.
On the top of the tower is the effigy of a man in iron who strikes the hours with a hammer.
On this cliff also stands the parish church of St Mary and St Eanswith, a cruciform building of much interest, with central tower.
Scarcely anything is left of the old chapel dedicated to St Dennis, which for a time was used as a smithy; and of the chapel of St Serf, the patron saint of the burgh, only the tower remains.
There are remains of a Norman west tower; the Perpendicular tower stands on the north side.
They were erected in 1892 and are a handsome block in Renaissance style, three-storied, with a central tower surmounted by a statue of Liberty.
The 2nd and 4th Austrian corps found themselves all at once threatened in flank and rear by heavy masses of Prussian infantry, the leading brigades of the crown prince's army, and they began to withdraw towards the centre of their position in ordered brigade masses, apparently so intent on keeping their men in hand that they seem never to have noticed the approach of the Prussian reserve artillery of the Guard which (under Prince Kraft zu Hohenlohe-Ingelfingen) was straining forward over heavy soil and through standing corn towards their point of direction, a clump of trees close to the tower of the church of Chlum.
The name "mountain house" suggests a lofty structure and was perhaps the designation originally of the staged tower at Nippur, built in imitation of a mountain, with the sacred shrine of the god on the top. The tower, however, also had its special designation of "Im-Khar-sag," the elements of which, signifying "storm" and "mountain," confirm the conclusion drawn from other evidence that En-lil was originally a storm-god having his seat on the top of a mountain.
On the west this valley is bounded by the Congo mountains, which form the wall of the rift-valley, on the east by the mighty range of Ruwenzori, whose heights tower over 16,000 ft.
The church of St Mary the Virgin has Norman remains in the tower and chancel.
On the north there is a flat tract between Chelsea and Westminster, covering Pimlico, but from Westminster down to the Tower there is a marked slope directly up from the river bank.
Below London Bridge the river is embanked for a short distance in front of the Tower of London, and above Westminster Bridge the Albert Embankment extends for nearly 1 m.
There was no bridge over the Thames below London Bridge until 1894, when the Tower Bridge was opened.
Among other ancient churches within the City, that of All Hallows Barking, near the Tower of London, is principally Perpendicular and contains some fine brasses.
It belonged to the convent at Barking, Essex, and was the burial-place of many who were executed at the scaffold on Tower Hill.
Among secular buildings, there is none more venerable than the Tower of London (q.v.), the moated fortress which overlooks the Thames at the eastern boundary of the City.
The principal external features are the huge Victoria Tower at the south, and the clock tower, with its well-known chimes and the hour-bell " Big Ben," on the north.
Following the river down from the Tower these docks, with dates of original opening and existing extent, are - St Katherine's (1828; 102 acres), London (1805; 571 acres), West India, covering the northern part of the peninsula called the Isle of Dogs (1802; 1212 acres), East India, Blackwall (1806; 38 acres), Royal Victoria and Albert Docks (1876 and 1880 respectively), parallel with the river along Bugsby's and Woolwich Reaches, nearly 3 m.
For judicial purposes Westminster was merged with the county of London in 1889, and the Liberty of the Tower was abolished in 1894.
The earliest Roman city probably extended as far as Tower Hill on the east, and there is, reason to believe that it did not include any ground to the west of Leadenhall.
Now no such remains have been found between Gracechurch Street and the Tower.
In the latest or third Roman enclosure the line of the wall` ran straight from the Tower to Aldgate, where it bent round somewhat to Bishopsgate.
So in later times when William the Conqueror planned the Tower he gave the site at the western extremity to his follower Ralph Baynard, where was erected the stronghold known as.
Besides the forum Stukeley suggested the sites of seven other buildings - the Arx Palatina guarding the south-eastern angle of the city where the Tower now stands, the grove and temple of Diana on the site of St Paul's, &c. No traces of any of these buildings have been found, and they are therefore purely conjectural.
The Tower was situated at the eastern limit of the city, and not far from the western extremity Castle Baynard was built.
The White Tower, the famous keep of the Tower of London, was begun by Gundulph, bishop of Rochester, c. 1078.
The Tower was injured, and a portion of the roof of the church of St Mary-leBow, Cheapside, was carried off and fell some distance away, being forced into the ground as much as 20 ft., a proof of the badness of the thoroughfares as well as of the force of the wind.
These were the walling round of the Tower and the rebuilding of London Bridge, which had been almost destroyed by a flood.
This was the Abbey of St Mary Graces, East-Minster or New Abbey without the walls of London, beyond Tower Hill, which Edward III.
He first attempted to land from his ships in the city, but the Thames side from Baynard's Castle to the Tower was so well fortified that he had to seek a quieter and less prepared position.
On June 22 he entirely routed the rebels; and some time afterwards Perkin Warbeck gave himself up, and was conducted in triumph through London to the Tower.
Lady Jane Grey was received at the Tower as queen, she having gone there by water from Durham House in the Strand.
The preparations for the coronation of King James were interrupted by a severe visitation of the plague, which killed off as many as 30,578 persons, and it was not till March 25, 1604, that the king, the queen and Prince Henry passed triumphantly from the Tower to Westminster.
London within the walls has been almost entirely rebuilt, although in the neighbourhood of the Tower there are still many old houses which have only been refronted.
The corner-stone was laid in 1871, and the building was completed, with the exception of the central tower and dome, in 1904.
In 1550 eight Muranese glass-blowers were working in or near the Tower of London.
This tower formed part of the donjon of the fortress erected by Baldwin IV., count of Hainaut, about the year 1150.
Opposite the Hotel de Ville is the fine church of St Pierre, in the form of a cross with a low tower to which the spire has never been added.
Along with his six brethren, Ken was committed to the Tower on the 8th of June 1688, on a charge of high misdemeanour; the trial, which took place on the 29th and 30th of the month, and which resulted in a verdict of acquittal, is matter of history.
Behind them tower the massive ridges of the Niphates and Zagros ranges, where the Tigris and Euphrates take their rise, and which cut off Assyria from Armenia and Kurdistan.
This act by tradition happened on the market-place, where in 1895, at the foot of an old tower (with rude frescoes commemorating the feat), there was set up a fine bronze statue (by Richard Kissling of Zurich) of Tell and his son.
This latter project, however, was not carried out, and all that remains of the building intended for the college is a three-storeyed tower.
The old castle of the Frasers on Kinnaird Head now contains a lighthouse, and close by is the Wine Tower, with a cave below.
The Martello tower was introduced in consequence of an incident of the French revolutionary wars.
It was determined in the first place to take a tower on Cape Mortella which commanded the only secure anchorage in the Gulf of San Fiorenzo.
This tower, according to James, was named "after its inventor"; but the real derivation appears to be the name of a wild myrtle which grew thickly around.
The tower, which mounted one 24-pounder and two 18-pounders on its top, was bombarded for a short time by the frigates, was then deserted by its little garrison, and occupied by a landing party.
The tower was afterwards retaken by the French from the Corsicans.
On the 7th of February 1400 troops were landed, and the tower was attacked by land and sea on the 8th.
The chief defect of the tower was its weakness against vertical fire; its masonry was further liable to be cut through by breaching batteries.
While the Martello tower owes its reputation and its widespread adoption in Great Britain to a single incident of modern warfare, the round masonry structure entered by a door raised high above the base is to be found in many lands, and is one of the earliest types of masonry fortification.
The portcullis gate and a tower are all that remain of it; of the abbey which was at one time the finest in Wales, there still exist the external walls, with parts of the chapel, vaulted chapter-house, refectory and abbot's house.
The portal is of 1154, and the Lombardesque square brick tower of 1160.
After a year's imprisonment in the Tower Prynne was sentenced by the star chamber on the 17th of February 1634 to be imprisoned for life, and also to be fined f5000, expelled from Lincoln's Inn, rendered incapable of returning to his profession, degraded from his degree in the university of Oxford, and set in the pillory, where he was to lose both his ears.
He was nominated a commissioner for disbanding the army, and was appointed keeper of the records in the Tower, a post in which he performed useful services.
The date of the Abridgment of the Records of the Tower of London, published 1689, is doubtful, though the preface is dated 1656-1657.
The slender turrets massed round the western towers and the octagonal central tower, which forms a lantern within, are conspicuous features of the church.
The round tower, which still stands, was added in 1550 by Bishop Reid.
It is known as the Mass Tower and contains a niche in which is a small effigy believed to represent the founder, who also endowed the grammar school which is still in existence.
The church of St John the Baptist, principally Perpendicular, - has in its tower three bells presented by Charles Both this town and the adjacent urban district of Radstock (pop. 3355) have a considerable trade in coal, which is mined in the vicinity.
It has a handsome town hall with fine paintings, an old tower (the Hexenturm, or witches' tower), a museum and various educational institutions.
The castle, erected by the Ezzelini in the 13th century, lies in the upper portion of the town, above the river; a tower, erected by a member of the same family, is a c9nspicuous feature.
The campanile car "leaning tower of Pisa" is a round tower, the noblest, according to Freeman, of the southern Romanesque.
The eighth storey, which contains the bells, is of much smaller diameter than the rest of the tower, and has only twelve columns.
The height of the tower is 179 ft., but the ascent is easy by a stair in the wall, and the visitor hardly perceives the inclination till he reaches the top and from the lower edge of the gallery looks "down" along the shaft receding to its base.
The great bell of the commune called together the adherents of the archbishop; the bell of the people summoned the partisans of the count, After a day's fighting (July 1, 1288) the count, his two sons and his two grandsons were captured in the palazzo del popolo (or town hall), and cast into a tower belonging to the Gualandi and known as the "Tower of the Seven.
He is shown the " holy church " under the similitude of a tower in building, and the great and final tribulation (already alluded to as near at hand) under that of a devouring beast, which yet is innocuous to undoubting faith.
In this latter the building of the Tower, already shown in outline in Vis.
Among newer churches the most noticeable are the Evangelical church of St Luke, a Transitional building, with an imposing dome, finished in 1896, and the Gothic parochial church of the Giesing suburb, with a tower 312 ft.
Here a tower was begun on the lines of the Eiffel Tower in Paris, and projected to exceed it in height, reaching 1200 ft., but only a short stage was completed.
The cathedral of San Giusto was formed as it now stands by the union in the 14th century of three adjacent early Christian buildings of the 6th century; the tower incorporates portions of a Roman temple.
The church of St Mary is of good Perpendicular work, with Early English tower and Decorated spire.
The prisoners were conveyed to the Palazzo Vecchio, and Savonarola was lodged in the tower cell which had once harboured Cosimo de' Medici.
A censer lid with a late Saxon tower upon it, now in the British Museum, dates from the 12th century or earlier.
In 1861 he travelled in Auvergne and the Pyrenees, with Clough, who was to die a few months later; to this year belong "Helen's Tower" and the "Dedication" of the Idylls to the prince consort, "These to his Memory."
In the immediate neighbourhood of the modern Tlemcen are numerous remains of the fortifications of Agadir (vide infra), and the minaret of the mosque, a beautiful tower dating Sidi from the 13th century, the lower part of which is built Medin.
The upper part of the tower is ornamented with green and blue tiles and the entrance arch is beautifully carved.
An inscription records that the tower was built by order of Abu Yakub Yusef.
The church of St Peter has a remarkable west tower of pre-Conquest workmanship, excepting the early Norman top storey.
On the north side of the church is a lofty tower, called the tower of Peppin; while the slender brick campanile on the south dates from 1045 to 1178.
Of the medieval fortifications the picturesque Eschenheimer Tor, a round tower 155 ft.
Built of red sandstone, with a massive tower terminating in a richly ornamented cupola and 300 ft.
The tower was begun in 1415, but remained unfinished.
On the 15th of August 1867 the tower and roof were destroyed by fire and considerable damage was done to the rest of the edifice.
The restoration was immediately taken in hand, and the whole work was finished in 1881, including the completion of the tower, according to the plans of the 15th century architect, Hans von Ingelheim.
The choir was added in 1506-1509 and the whole church thoroughly restored in the second half of the 18th century, when the tower was built (1770).
Among the more noteworthy of the newer Protestant churches are the Peterskirche (1892-1895) in the North German Renaissance style, with a tower 256 ft.
It is first mentioned in 1322, was bought with the adjacent hostelry in 1405 by the city and rearranged as a town hall, and has since, from time to time, been enlarged by the purchase of adjoining patrician houses, forming a complex of buildings of various styles and dates surmounted by a clock tower.
New municipal buildings adjoining the " Rimer " on the north side were erected in 1900-1903 in German Renaissance style, with a handsome tower 220 ft.
It was not till 1801 that the last mouldering head of the Fettmilch company dropped unnoticed from the Rententurm, the old tower near the bridge.
Its west portal, the decoration of the spire of the tower, and its stained glass are among the features which make it one of the finest churches of the Rouen diocese.
The principal buildings are the parish church of St Andrew (dating from the time of Henry I., modernized in 1710, rebuilt with the exception of the tower in 1805, and again rebuilt in 1878), and the handsome Gothic mechanics' institute and technical school (1870).
The most prominent church is the cathedral, a Gothic building of the 14th century, restored in 1883-1886, with a tower 328 ft.
It possesses a tower 250 ft.
The church of St Nicholas is a fine Perpendicular structure exhibiting the flint-work common to the district, and possessing a beautiful south porch and the ruin of a massive western tower which partly collapsed early in the 18th century.
The church of Notre-Dame, built during the English occupancy of Calais, has a fine high altar of the 17th century; its lofty tower serves as a landmark for sailors.
Robinson Crusoe was immediately popular, and a wild story was set afloat of its having been written by Lord Oxford in the Tower.
Of its secular buildings, the Rathaus (town-hall), built in 1574-1576, on the model of that of Antwerp, with a lofty tower, and containing an interest-' ing collection of arms and armour, is particularly remarkable.
The church of St Andrew is cruciform with a lofty tower.
It was restored to use in 1882 by a French Benedictine community, the fine Perpendicular abbot's tower remaining, while other parts have been rebuilt on the original lines.
The abbey, though greatly mutilated, is full of interesting details, and includes a lofty tower, a marble screen, a chapter-house, a notable east window, several fine tombs and an altar of St Francis.
The parish church of St John the Baptist, with its fine tower and spire, was built about the close of the 14th century, and, though largely restored, has a beautiful chancel, Lady chapel and baptistery.
The Gothic Wallace Tower in High Street stands on the site of an old building of the same name taken down in 1835, from which were transferred the clock and bells of the Dungeon steeple.
A portion of the tower of St John's church remains, but has been completely modernized.
The church of St Bartholomew is remarkable for a fine Early English tower surmounted by a Decorated spire; there are also beautiful Decorated windows and details in the body of the church, and a richly carved octagonal font.
Among the public buildings constructed since 1911 are the town hall with a clock tower 170 ft.
On each side of the facade is a massive tower of four storeys.
At the highest point of the road, according to Pausanias, there stood the famous temple of Aphrodite, but the remains excavated at this point seem to be those of a late tower, and the few foundations below it do not resemble those of a temple.
In 1486, the year following the accession of Henry VII., rumours were disseminated by the adherents of the Yorkist dynasty that the two sons of Edward IV., who had been murdered in the Tower of London, were still alive.
The Yorkists had many adherents in Ireland, and thither Lambert Simnel was taken by Symonds early in 1487; and, gaining the support of the earl of Kildare, the archbishop of Dublin, the lord chancellor and a powerful following, who were, or pretended to be, convinced that the boy was the earl of Warwick escaped from the Tower, Simnel was crowned as King Edward VI.
Elizabeth Woodville, widow of Edward IV., was imprisoned in the convent of Bermondsey; and the real earl of Warwick was taken from the Tower and shown in public in the streets of London.
The plan is a Latin cross, the west front rising to a height of 105 ft., while the central tower is 175 ft.
The belfry tower of five storeys with three terraces, surmounted by a golden figure, is a striking feature.
On the defeat of the royal army Leslie, intercepted in his retreat through Yorkshire, was committed to the Tower, where he remained till the Restoration in 1660.
The two western portals are adorned with sculpture in the ornate Romanesque style; the tower on the left of the facade was rebuilt in the 17th century.
His empire extended over the three Indies, including that Farther India, where lay the body of St Thomas, to the sun-rising, and back again down the slope to the ruins of Babylon and the tower of Babel.
The summit of the college tower is 110 ft.
At this time Edward and his brother Richard, duke of York, were living in the Tower of London.
According to the narrative of Sir Thomas More, Sir Robert Brackenbury, the constable of the Tower, refused to obey Richard's command to put the young princes to death; but he complied with a warrant ordering him to give up his keys for one night to Sir James Tyrell, who had arranged for the assassination.
Here they attempted to build a city and a tower whose top might reach unto heaven, but were miraculously prevented by their language being confounded.
The tower was no doubt suggested by one of the temple towers of Babylon.
A tradition similar to that of the tower of Babel is found in Central America.
The chief buildings are the church of St Pierre (15th and 16th centuries), which has an imposing tower and rich interior decoration; a hotel de ville of the 18th century; and the Bailliage (16th century), a small building in the Renaissance style.
The church of St Mary is cruciform, with a low square tower, and is largely Early English, with some richly decorated windows in the chancel.
In ascending the river a stranger's eye is first caught by the numerous huge ice-houses with high thatched roofs and by a tall white tower - the T'ien-feng-t'a or Ning-po pagoda or obelisk - which rises to a height of 160 ft.
Another striking structure in the heart of the city is the Drum Tower, dating from before the 15th century.
The church of St Mary and All Saints, originally collegiate, is Perpendicular, and only the nave with aisles, and the tower surmounted by an octagon, remain; but the building is in the best style of its period.
The palace contains collections of pictures and porcelain, and attached to it is a magnificent tower, all that remains of the castle built in 1560.
The church of St Nicholas, with a graceful tower and spire, is mainly Early English, but has Norman and later portions.
In Adderley Street are the customs house and railway station, the Standard bank, the general post and telegraph offices, with a tower 120 ft.
Of the original building only the clock tower (sent from Holland in 1727) remains.
From the balcony of the town house, which overlooks the square, proclamations were read to the burghers, summoned to the spot by the ringing of the bell in the smalldomed tower.
The most conspicuous feature is the clock tower and belfry, zoo ft.
The church of All Saints is cruciform, with central tower and spire.
The large church of St Mary, with a lofty tower, dating from the 14th century, the Renaissance castle of the 16th century, now used as a prison, and one of the ancient town-gates restored in 1872 are memorials of the time when Stolp was a prosperous member of the Hanseatic League.
Amongst the principal buildings are the town house (1815), with a tower and spire; the town hall (1873); the library (1887) founded by James Moffat, a merchant of the burgh, and the Carnegie Park Orphanage, also provided from the same bequest.
The wall was strengthened by towers at intervals, such as the Arundel Tower at the north-western corner.
The two old churches, St Michael's, the central tower and lofty spire of which rise from Norman arches, and Holy Rood, partly Decorated, are greatly modernized.
It has paintings by Hans Schaufelein, who was a native of Nordlingen, and a tower 290 ft.
An open space forming the heart of the square in which the church stands separates the solitary western tower (14th century) from the choir and transept, the nave having been blown down by a violent hurricane in 1674 and never rebuilt.
The church of St Mary, a fine cruciform structure, Early English and later, with a lofty and richly ornamented central tower, was enlarged in the reign of Elizabeth.
Among the more interesting buildings are the Schloss, a long, rectangle begun in 1255 and added to later, with a Gothic tower 277 ft.
Sainte-Marie contains many artistic treasures, the chief of which are the magnificent stained-glass windows of the Renaissance which light the apsidal chapels, and the 113 choir-stalls of carved oak, also of Renaissance workmanship. The archbishop's palace adjoins the cathedral; it is a building of the 18th century with a Romanesque hall and a tower of the r4th century.
A remnant of the old palace, with a tower, survives.
The cruciform church of St Denys has a 14th-century south porch and tower.
The Great Church, dedicated to St Bavo, with a lofty tower (255 ft.), is one of the most famous in Holland, and dates from the end of the 15th and the beginning of the 16th centuries.
The parish church of St Mary is Early English and Perpendicular, with a small octagonal tower, but has been largely restored in modern times.
The church of All Saints is Perpendicular, with an Early English tower, and contains some interesting monuments.
The church of the Magdalene possesses two candelabra, a gold cross, and various other works in metal by Bishop Bernward; and the Lutheran church of St Andrew has a choir dating from 1389 and a tower 385 ft.
Near Harlow Car is Harlow observatory, a square tower loo ft.
The date of the establishment of the Mint in the Tower of London is unknown.
The existing London Mint was erected on Tower Hill in 1810.
He was sent to the Tower.
In the same month he was one of the twelve bishops impeached by the Commons for high treason and committed to the Tower.
The church of St Peter is a fine building with Early English, Decorated and Perpendicular porticos, with a western tower and lofty spire.
The church of All Saints has a fine Perpendicular tower, left uninjured when the nave and chancel were burned down in 1842.
It was dismantled under Henry VIII., but considerable portions remain of the chapel, banqueting hall and herald's tower.
The present church of St Mary is in various styles, with a lofty tower and spire and carved timber roof.
In his study - a tower of refuge, separate from the house, which he has minutely described - he read, wrote, dictated, meditated, inscribed moral sentences which still remain on the walls and rafters, annotated his books, some of which are still in existence, and in other ways gave himself up to a learned ease.
Each chain over a shore span consists of two segments, the longer attached to the tie at the top of the river tower, the shorter to the link at the top of the abutment tower, and the two jointed together at the lowest point.
There was an idea of using suspension chains combined with a girder, and in fact the tower piers were built so as to accommodate chains.
Around the whole tower was a pavement of inscribed baked bricks, resting on a layer of clay 2 ft.
Other parks are Lake Park, also on the lake shore, at North Point, where stands the waterworks pumping station with its tall tower; Riverside and Kilbourn Parks, east and west respectively of the upper Milwaukee river, in the northern part of the city, Washington Park on the west side, containing a menagerie and a herd of deer; Sherman Park on the west side, and Kosciusko, Humboldt and Mitchell Parks on the south side.
The central tower terminates in a Gothic spire surmounted by a gilded bronze statue of St Michael.
The town, which was originally called Drobetae by the Romans, took its later name of Turns Severi, or the "Tower of Severus," from a tower which stood on a small hill surrounded by a deep fosse.
The churches of St Margaret-at-Cliff, Patrixbourne and Darenth are hardly less noteworthy, while the tower of New Romney church should also be mentioned.
The gate is approached by a road commanded on one side by the city wall, on the other by a projecting tower.
His papers were carried off, and he was sent at once to the Tower on a charge of high treason.
The western tower, commonly known as Boston Stump, forms a landmark for 40 m.
It somewhat resembles the completed tower of Antwerp cathedral, and is crowned by a graceful octagonal lantern, the whole being nearly 290 ft.