Top-dressing sentence example
- It appears that with soils which are not rich in humus or not deficient in lime, calcium cyanamide is almost as good, nitrogen for nitrogen, as ammonium sulphate or sodium nitrate; but it is of doubtful value with peaty soils or soils containing little lime, nor is it usefully available as a top-dressing or for storing.
- It has been found by experiment that the nitrogen needed by practically all farm crops except leguminous ones is best supplied in the form of a nitrate; the rapid effect of nitrate of soda when used' as a top dressing to wheat or other plants is well known to farmers..
- The plant grows freely in good garden soil, preferring a deep welldrained loam, and is all the better for a top-dressing of manure as it approaches the flowering stage.
- Malt-dust is an active manure frequently used as a top-dressing, especially for fruit trees in pots.
- Gypsum, or sulphate of lime, applied as a top-dressing at the rate of 2 to 3 cwt.Advertisement
- Soot forms a good top-dressing; it consists principally of charcoal, but contains ammonia and a smaller proportion of phosphates and potash, whence its value as a manure is derived.
- It is used as a top-dressing sown by the hand.
- In the broad river basins the inundations deposit annually a fresh top-dressing of silt, thus superseding the necessity of manures.
- Thousands of square miles in Lower Bengal annually receive a top-dressing of virgin soil from the Himalayas, - a system of natural manuring which renders elaborate tillage a waste of labour, and defies the utmost power of over-cropping to exhaust its fertility.
- Urea is used as a top dressing in Portugal, mainly calcareous soils.Advertisement
- Use a top dressing of granular fertilizer in Spring, followed by a liquid feed once week during the main growing season.
- On soils of good phosphate and potash fertility: Use NK top dressing to replace some of the potash removed.
- What I DO notice is that roads with a coarse, or damaged, top dressing can induce pronounced high-frequency vibration.
- Plant them in fibry loam and tough and fibry peat, with a liberal admixture of leaf-mould and well-decayed woody matter, to which add a thin top-dressing of similar material every autumn.
- Preparing the bed the old-fashioned way is a lot of work, but a well-made bed will grow delicious asparagus for fifty years with only annual top-dressing and hand cultivation.Advertisement
- A top dressing of mulch helps preserve moisture and prevent freezing and thawing of the soil near the roots during the winter months.
- Diana Loring of the Sunnyvale Organic Garden Center suggests top dressing your garden with greens at a rate of 80 pounds per 1,000 square feet in the heavy clay soils of North Texas.