Tocsin sentence example
- His demand for immediate emancipation fell like a tocsin upon the ears of slaveholders.
- They sounded the tocsin, mustered their partisans, and released the prisoners.
- At the close of this troubled century peace descends upon exhausted passions; and amidst the choir of young and ardent voices celebrating the national reconciliation, the tocsin no longer sounds its sinister and persistent bass.
- "This dismissal," he said, "is the tocsin of the St Bartholomew of the patriots."
- On the 1st of September the Commune decreed that on the following day the tocsin should be rung, all ablebodied citizens convened in the Champs de Mars, and 60,000 volunteers enrolled for the defence of the country.Advertisement
- Marat himself sounded the tocsin, and Hanriot, at the head of the Parisian army, surrounded tl~e Convention.
- His arrest was decreed; but he had the generale sounded and the tocsin rung, and tried to rescue Robespierre, who was under arrest in the hall of the Comite de Siirete Generale.