Tethys sentence example
- Suess; the southern, of which the Indian peninsula is but a fragment, is called Gondwanaland by Neumayr, Suess and others; while the intervening sea is the central Mediterranean sea of Neumayr and the Tethys of Suess.
- a, oraI hood (compare with Tethys, fig.
- 36) to the adult form has not been properly observed, and many interesting points as to the true nature of folds (whether parapodia or mantle or velum) have yet to be cleared up by a knowledge of such development in forms like Tethys, Doris, Phyllidia, &c. As in other Molluscan groups, we find even in closely-allied genera (for instance, in Aplysia and Pleurobranchidium, and other genera), the f operculum.
- B, Tethys leporina, dorsal view.
- 1 33, 337-37 o) the son of Uranus and Gaea, the husband of Tethys, father of 3000 streams and 4000 ocean nymphs.
- Other accounts make her the daughter of Zeus and Nemesis, or of Oceanus and Tethys.
- Between these land masses lay a great Mediterranean sea - the " Tethys " of Suess.
- In the Himalaya the geological sequence, from the Ordovician to the Eocene, is almost entirely marine; there are indeed occasional breaks in the series, but during nearly the whole of this long period the Iimalayan region, or at least its northern part, must have been beneath the sea - the Central Mediterranean Sea of Neumayr or Tethys of Suess.
- Its northern shores were washed by the Sea of Tethys, which, at least in Jurassic and Cretaceous times, stretched across the Old World from west to east, and in this sea were laid down the marine deposits of the Himalaya.Advertisement
- 246) are spoken of as the source of all the gods, and in the same book (290) " Oceanus and mother Tethys " are regarded as the parents of the immortals.
- They are Ocean, Coeus, Crius, Hyperion, Iapetus, Theia, Rhea, Themis, Mnemosyne, Phoebe, Tethys and the youngest, Cronus, " and he hated his glorious father."
- During the Tertiary era the geographical configuration of the globe was steadily approaching that of the present day; but in the earlier part of the time there still existed the great equatorial ocean "Tethys," and there is evidence that East India and Africa, Australia and Asia, north Europe and North America were probably severally united by land connexions.
- As the period advanced, along the very line that had been occupied by the nummulitic sea (Tethys) the crust began to be folded up, giving rise to the Alps, Carpathians, Caucasus, Himalayas and other mountains, some of the early Tertiary marine formations being now found raised more than 16,000 ft.
- From Gaia and Uranus sprang: Mnemosyme, the Cyclopes, Cronus / Kronos, Rhea, Coeus, Phoebe, Hyperion, Hecatonchires, Iapetus, Oceanus, Tethys, and Echidna.Advertisement