Terra-incognita sentence example
- long., an extent of half a million square miles, still remained a blank in the map. But the two expeditions of 1873, conducted by William Christie Gosse (1842-1881), afterwards deputy surveyorgeneral for South Australia, and Colonel (then Major) Egerton Warburton, made a beginning in the exploration of this terra incognita west of the central telegraph route.
- - Tibet was long a terra incognita to Europeans.
- Murphy, Terra incognita (1873); and F.
- Some of RodrÃguez ' case-studies go some way toward exploring this question, but it pretty well remains terra incognita within terra obscura.
- It is still sort of terra incognita we have to cope with.Advertisement
- The symmetrically placed hypothetical islands in the great continuousocean disappeared, and the oekumene acquired a new form by the representation of the Indian Ocean as a larger Mediterranean completely cut off by land from the Atlantic. The terra incognita uniting Africa and Farther Asia was an unfortunate hypothesis which helped to retard exploration.