Telegraph-line sentence example
- Forrest and his party safely crossed the entire extent of Western Australia, and entering South Australia struck the overland telegraph line at Peake station, and, after resting, journeyed south to Adelaide.
- After resting in Perth for a short time, he commenced the return journey, which was made for the most part between the 24th and 25th parallels, and again successfully traversed the desert, reaching the overland telegraph line in about seven months.
- The cable and telegraph line from Otranto, in Italy, to Constantinople, has an important station here.
- Leaving the telegraph line at Alice Springs (2 3 ° 40' S., 133° 14' E.), 1120 m.
- As it uses the Baudot telegraph alphabet it has an advantage in theory over the Wheatstone using the Morse alphabet in regard to the speed that can be obtained on a long telegraph line in the ratio of eight to five, and this theoretical advantage is more or less realized in practice.Advertisement
- The first telegraph line in Natal was opened in 1873; in 1878 communication was established with Cape Town and in the following year with Delagoa Bay.
- In 1874, with his brother Alexander Forrest (born 1849), he explored eastwards from Champion Bay, following as far as possible the 26th parallel, and striking the telegraph line between Adelaide and Port Darwin; a distance of about 2000 m.
- P. Girouard, R.E., pushed southward; and a telegraph line followed the advance.
- They are all more or less practicable for carts, and are flanked by a good telegraph line as long as they lie in Italian territory.
- Frequent interruptions occurred on the telegraph line between Teheran and Meshed in 1885, at the time of the Panjdeh incident, when the Russians were advancing towards Afghanistan and Sir Peter Lumsden was on the Afghan frontier; and Sir Ronald Thomson concluded an agreement with the Persian government for the line to be kept in working order by an English inspector, the Indian government paying a share not exceeding 20,000 rupees per annum of the cost of maintenance, and an English signaller being stationed at Meshed.Advertisement
- Graves, the inspector of the English telegraph line from Jask eastwards, was brutally murdered by Baluchis, and the agents of the Persian government sent to seize the murderers were resisted by the tribes.
- It is also a station on the African trans-continental telegraph line.
- In 1864 authority was granted to an American company to make explorations for a proposed Russo-American company's telegraph line overland from the Amur river in Siberia to Bering Strait, and through Alaska to British Columbia.
- The first experimental telegraph line was only erected in the year in which Queen Victoria came to the throne.
- A telegraph line was constructed between Lanchow in the Chinese province of Kan-su and Turfan in 1893.Advertisement
- The first telegraph line was constructed as early as 1855; telegrams between Constantinople, Sofia, Budapest and Vienna pass over lines constructed by the Servian government (under conventions with Austria-Hungary and Turkey) in 1899 and 1906.
- Leaving the telegraph line at Alice Springs (2 3 Ã‚° 40' S., 133Ã‚° 14' E.), 1120 m.