Tartaric-acid sentence example
- It is usually made by distilling tartaric acid with potassium bisulphate at about zoo-250° C., the crude product being afterwards fractionated.
- Citric acid is also distinguished from tartaric acid by the fact that an ammonia solution of silver tartrate produces a brilliant silver mirror when boiled, whereas silver citrate is reduced only after prolonged ebullition.
- Kekule (Ann., 1883, 221, p. 230), however, reinvestigated this acid; he showed that it was dibasic and not tribasic; that it gave tartaric acid on reduction; and, finally, that it was dioxytartaric acid, HOOC C(OH) 2 C(OH) 2 COOH.
- The character of the acidity, however, changes, the free tartaric acid gradually disappearing, forming bitartrate of potash and being otherwise broken up. On the other hand, the free malic acid increases and the tannin decreases.
- It has been found, for instance, that in the case of the mannitic disease the action of the micro-organism may be checked, or prevented altogether, by bringing the acidity of the must up to a certain level by the addition of a small quantity of tartaric acid.Advertisement
- In repeating and extending the experiments of Haiiy much later, Sir David Brewster discovered that various artificial salts were pyro-electric, and he mentions the tartrates of potash and soda and tartaric acid as exhibiting this property in a very strong degree.
- If taken in overdose or in a concentrated form tartaric acid produces severe gastro-enteritis.
- It may be prepared by the lactic fermentation of starches, sugars, gums, &c., the sugar being dissolved in water and acidified by a small quantity of tartaric acid and then fermented by the addition of sour milk, with a little putrid cheese.
- The wine maker can also correct or adjust the acidity of the wine using tartaric acid to achieve the taste they are looking for.
- It is usually made by distilling tartaric acid with potassium bisulphate at about zoo-250Ã‚° C., the crude product being afterwards fractionated.Advertisement
- Absence of rotary power when asymmetric carbon atoms are present, may be caused by an internal compensation within the molecule as with the inactive tartaric acid (mesotartaric acid), or may be due to the fact that the compound is an equimolecular mixture of leftand right-hand varieties, this being the case with racemic acid that was broken by Louis Pasteur into laevoand dextro-tartaric acid (see Stereo-Isomerism).
- Excessive ingestion of tartaric acid results in laxative effects Taurine Another amino acid which is not found in proteins.
- Using tartaric acid as a standard for determining the titer of your NaOH is probably good enough - at least for TA measurements.
- Sheep sorrel contains beta carotene, oxalic acid, and tartaric acid which make this herb one of the main ingredients of Essiac herbs.