Subtractions sentence example
- Hence we can separate the numbers from the common unit, and replace 3 lb - I - 5 lb - 7 lb +2 lb by (3+5-7+2) lb, the additions and subtractions being then performed by means of an addition-table.
- This rule as to using brackets is not always observed, the convention sometimes adopted being that multiplications or divisions are to be performed before additions or subtractions.
- (vii.) The only exception that may be made to the above rule is that an expression involving multiplication-dots only, or a simple fraction written with the solidus, may have the brackets omitted for additions or subtractions, provided the figures are so spaced as to prevent misunderstanding.
- by a series of subtractions.
- (vi) Distributive Law, that multiplications and divisions may be distributed over additions and subtractions, e.g.Advertisement
- Additions and subtractions are simple.
- 8d., on the grouping system, we split up each quantity into its denominations, perform the subtractions independently, and then regroup the results as the " remainder " £6, 2s.
- Of the two kinds of division, although the idea of partition is perhaps the more elementary, the process of measuring is the easier to perform, since it is equivalent to a F series of subtractions.
- Starting from the dividend, we in theory keep on subtracting the unit, and count the number of subtractions that have to be performed until nothing is left.
- (i.) Additions and subtractions are performed from left to right.Advertisement
- (i.) The logical result of the commutative law, applied to a succession of additions and subtractions, is to produce a negative quantity-3s.
- Additions and a lot of the other functions are usually printed in black while subtractions are printed in red.