Strong-minded sentence example
- Darnley, though a Catholic, thought it well to go to Knox's preaching; but was so unfortunate as to hear a very long sermon, with allusions not only to "babes and women" as rulers, but to Ahab who did not control his strong-minded wife.
- The novel merges humor with poignancy as Birdy fends off a variety of suitors and attempts to express her strong-minded personality despite the social constraints of the time in which she lives.
- Hildebrand, now pope as Gregory VII., next summoned him to Rome, and, in a synod held there in 1078, tried once more to obtain a declaration of his orthodoxy by means of a confession of faith drawn up in general terms; but even this strong-minded and strong-willed pontiff was at length forced to yield to the demands of the multitude and its leaders; and in another synod at Rome (1079), finding that he was only endangering his own position and reputation, he turned unexpectedly upon Berengar and commanded him to confess that he had erred in not teaching a change as to substantial reality of the sacramental bread and wine into the body and blood of Christ.
- No personal wrongs, but the deliberate determination of a strong-minded, capable woman to snatch the reins of government from the hands of a semi-imbecile, was the cause of Peter's overthrow, and his stupendous blunders supplied Catherine with her opportunity.
- But I was so shrewdly taxed with posing as a strong-minded woman and a philosopher that one fine day I said to myself, ` What, I wonder, is philosophy?'Advertisement
- Stella's mother was living at Moor Park, as servant or dame de compagnie of Temple's strong-minded sister, Lady Giffard.
- The influence of Marlborough at home was the result partly of the prestige of his victories, partly of the dominating influence of his strong-minded duchess (Mrs Freeman) over the queen (see ANNE, queen of England).
- strong-minded woman who revered her father's ideas, she would prove to be a formidable opponent to any critics of psychoanalysis.
- strong-minded man.
- strong-minded people on these boards - either side of the center line.Advertisement
- I remembered the very strong-minded captain of the two Chinese ladies teams for her appearance in Brighton a few years back.
- A strong-minded woman who revered her father 's ideas, she would prove to be a formidable opponent to any critics of psychoanalysis.
- It is n't worth while for any strong-minded man.
- It would n ot work as easily on some of the strong-minded people on these boards - either side of the center line.