Steatite sentence example
- Steatite is extracted from the Arakan hill quarries.
- An inscription ran round one of the steatite vases just below the lid.
- Late Minoan art in its finest aspect is best illustrated by the animated ivory figures, wall paintings, and gesso duro reliefs at Cnossus, by the painted stucco designs at Hagia Triada, and the steatite vases found on the same site with zones in reliefs exhibiting life-like scenes of warriors, toreadors, gladiators, wrestlers and pugilists, and of a festal throng perhaps representing a kind of " harvest home."
- The steatite vases with reliefs are of great importance.
- It should be compared with stone work in Crete, especially the steatite vases with reliefs found at Hagia Triada.Advertisement
- These consisted of five vessels, two vases, a bowl and a casket being made of steatite, and the fifth, also a bowl, of crystal.
- Important formations of chromite are found at Hagdale and the Heog Hills; steatite occurs at Kleber Geo, and many interesting minerals have been recorded from these islands.
- Steatite or soapstone has long been used by the natives for the manufacture of lamps and vessels.
- Billwiller introduced the idea of sucking air into the flame at or just below the burner tip, and at this juncture the Naphey or Dolan burner was introduced in America, the principle employed being to use two small and widely separated jets instead of the two openings of the union jet burner, and to make each a minute bunsen, the acetylene dragging in from the base of the nipple enough air to surround and protect it while burning from contact with the steatite.
- This fault has now been reduced by a cage of steatite round the burner tip, which draws in sufficient air to prevent deposition.Advertisement
- The rocks in the Arakan range and its spurs are metamorphic, and comprise clay, slates, ironstone and indurated sandstone; towards the S., ironstone, trap and rocks of basaltic character are common; veins of steatite and white fibrous quartz are also found.
- To these may be added emery, steatite, barytes, felspar and ochre, in considerable quantities; excellent lithographic stone is obtained at Solenhofen; and gold and silver are still worked, but to an insignificant extent.
- One object of special interest found in the course of excavation is a black steatite vessel in the form of a bull's head.
- Mycenaean pottery and a carved steatite vase were found in caves in the island of Cythera in 1915.
- From the Mendi district many curious steatite figures which had been buried have been recovered and are exhibited in the British Museum.Advertisement
- As in 1997, Visitors could watch or participate in tablet weaving, spinning, wood turning, steatite working and metal working.