I left the station, not sure what to do next.
The stage came to a halt in front of the station, and people drifted by, satisfying their curiosity about its occupants.
She moved from station to station.
I've waited at that station for five hours.
As he was leaving the station for the day on Thursday, she telephoned.
"At a police station?" she asked skeptically.
Savannah station, Lieutenant Huss.
The last thing you want to do is walk into a police station with a couple of suitcases of what's most likely stolen money.
She gave me a couple of hundred bucks and left me at this bus station in this little town in Illinois—I don't remember the name.
Why don't you come down to the station and file a report.
The exhausted couple stopped at a service station to fill the tires to their proper level.
She guided the car to the lit parking lot near the metro station, her destination.
Recalling the moment at the ambulance station when he had seen Kuragin, he could not now regain the feeling he then had, but was tormented by the question whether Kuragin was alive.
Some station themselves on this side of the pond, some on that, for the poor bird cannot be omnipresent; if he dive here he must come up there.
When the train at last pulled into the station at Boston it was as if a beautiful fairy tale had come true.
There was another phone outside a gas station but it only took credit cards.
She'd had an impending sense of doom since meeting Gabriel on the street outside the faux police station, but this feeling was…defined.
I called the station in Maryland but it was a cash sale so they don't have a record.
Meeting a comrade at the last post station but one before Moscow, Denisov had drunk three bottles of wine with him and, despite the jolting ruts across the snow-covered road, did not once wake up on the way to Moscow, but lay at the bottom of the sleigh beside Rostov, who grew more and more impatient the nearer they got to Moscow.
"I'll contact his station chief," Dusty said, pulling out his phone.
After explaining the situation and giving her address, she turned down the road toward the nearest public area – a service station 2 miles away.
It was three miles before he came to a closed gas station, but there was a phone booth outside.
It was three miles before he came to a closed gas station, but there was a phone booth outside.
"What place is safer than the police station?" said Winston.
The injured may proceed immediately to the emergency station, the fed said.
I had a couple of Sam Adams and a roast beef sandwich and arrived at the 30th Street station in Philadelphia just before four o'clock.
I caught MBTA Silver Line to South Station, for my 11:15 departure.
She'd been too flustered to pay attention to the trip to the police station and looked around, not recognizing the area.
In spite of the massive benefits civilization offers to every person in every station of life, a crazy few will always see it very differently.
Store fronts interspersed with vacant lots lined one side of the street while the other remained absent of any buildings except a closed gas station and a dollar store.
I should be leaving for the police station in a few minutes.
The engine-bell tells the passengers that they are coming to a station, and it tells the people to keep out of the way.
A radio station did a piece on the tip center and requested an interview with someone who answered the phones.
Too surprised to understand what exactly was happening, she obeyed the police officer's instructions to sit down and shut up and sat in the quiet police station reception area.
The ol' boys at the station are about split down the middle but we're not privy to Byrne's lifestyle and I suppose that's the key.
Too surprised to understand what exactly was happening, she obeyed the police officer's instructions to sit down and shut up and sat in the quiet police station reception area.
The ol' boys at the station are about split down the middle but we're not privy to Byrne's lifestyle and I suppose that's the key.
At the Torzhok post station, either there were no horses or the postmaster would not supply them.
At the last post station before Otradnoe he gave the driver a three-ruble tip, and on arriving he ran breathlessly, like a boy, up the steps of his home.
The militiamen carried Prince Andrew to the dressing station by the wood, where wagons were stationed.
The dressing station consisted of three tents with flaps turned back, pitched at the edge of a birch wood.
Toward the end of the battle of Borodino, Pierre, having run down from Raevski's battery a second time, made his way through a gully to Knyazkovo with a crowd of soldiers, reached the dressing station, and seeing blood and hearing cries and groans hurried on, still entangled in the crowds of soldiers.
Seven days had passed since Prince Andrew found himself in the ambulance station on the field of Borodino.
It resembled a doctor's waiting room rather than any police station she'd seen.
My wife and I stopped at a closed filling station in Connecticut and with Martha's notes in hand I attempted to phone the authorities.
I spotted a gas station on a corner as we entered the city of Lynn but as we pulled closer, we saw the place was out of business.
The beautiful granite structure of South Station was opened in 1899 and within ten years, was the busiest train station in the United States.
She'd never been in a police station, but she didn't think they'd be this different from the police shows on television!
No one at the station is dumb enough to give out any information on personnel.
The next three days slid by, closer to the normal routine at both home and at the station than Dean had experienced since Jeffrey Byrne's midnight swim.
Mrs. Freeman and Carrie and Ethel and Frank and Helen came to station to meet us in a huge carriage.
"You did not get my letter?" he asked, and not waiting for a reply-- which he would not have received, for the princess was unable to speak-- he turned back, rapidly mounted the stairs again with the doctor who had entered the hall after him (they had met at the last post station), and again embraced his sister.
He had begun to think of the last station and was still pondering on the same question--one so important that he took no notice of what went on around him.
There's an afternoon Amtrak train that makes the trip from South Station in Boston to Philly in less than five hours.
Dusty glanced at his long-time Miami Station Chief, the handsome Hispanic man who looked as severe as he was lighthearted.
The sense grew stronger as she led them down the hall past a waiting room and nurse's station towards the quiet hallway lined by patients' rooms, each housing four to five patients.
You have a Traveler assigned to station, Laney?
The quarterly conference held four times a century with the highest ranking station commanders was coming up soon, and he had more pressing issues to resolve before it launched.
Rainy, a brooding Guardian with striking green eyes and a shock of dark hair, was his youngest station chief at a youthful two thousand years old.
"He's the only one at station who can Travel," Dusty reminded him.
You know, like, you can't have a cop station in a nice side of town.
The voice of the friendly nurse from the nurse's station brought her back from her thoughts.
Bus station and airport personnel had been questioned, but no one remembered anything of note.
Yes, she would come by the station with the names of all Arthur's known friends, all the little fairies, as she called them, and the addresses of his favorite haunts.
Bus station and airport personnel had been questioned, but no one remembered anything of note.
Yes, she would come by the station with the names of all Arthur's known friends, all the little fairies, as she called them, and the addresses of his favorite haunts.
As she peered through the soft gray light not a house of any sort was visible near the station, nor was any person in sight; but after a while the child discovered a horse and buggy standing near a group of trees a short distance away.
Almost before I knew it, the train stopped at the Tuscumbia station, and there on the platform stood the whole family.
After we had had our breakfast, Teacher asked one of the train-men in the station if the New York train was made up.
A few days ago I met Tommy Stringer in the railroad station at Wrentham.
Captain Tushin, having given orders to his company, sent a soldier to find a dressing station or a doctor for the cadet, and sat down by a bonfire the soldiers had kindled on the road.
The drive from the station to the house, a distance of one mile, was very lovely and restful.
Sean was supposed to serve her dessert laced with a sedative, so they could drug her and take her back to the station for questioning.
He and Sean had been assigned together at the station for over a decade.
Han's brother Laney, one of Damian's oldest Guardians and the station chief for NOVA sector, leaned in the doorway to the main house with a smile.
Dusty's suggestion to bring in every station chief for interrogation was sounding better.
Amid backslapping and handshaking, the station assumed a party atmosphere for much of the afternoon.
Dean didn't go into any detail explaining why he had not gone to the Norfolk Police Station the prior evening—he just mumbled that he had a very distraught widow on his hands.
An omelet station, peanut and jelly pizza and large platter of smoked salmon make up the favorites of the dining experience.
In addition to a raw bar and pasta station, the dinner menu includes chicken, steak and vegetarian selections.
Cassie had the stage driver leave her things at the station.
The figures ran through our operation like a train past a no-stop station.
It was a warm late afternoon as I stood out on the sidewalk and looked up at the six massive columns towering above another busy and impressive train station.
He rose without another look at Jonny and intercepted Bianca on her way back from the nurse's station.
He hadn't visited the Guardians' Irish station in years, mainly because Ireland had no regular vamp population.
I've gotta get to the station.
Watch your back until I have someone else assigned to station.
She was already at the bus station.
It was four-thirty, and she'd never seen a cop along this stretch leading up to the nearest metro station.
She protested until the cops came and took them both to a police station.
This wasn't a police station.
She attached the prescriptions to the fridge with another cartoon magnet and smoothed out the paperwork she'd been given from the police station.
For a long moment, it was dark and silent, until the interior of the pod lit up with two screens, one displaying the empty space outside and the other displaying a control panel with writing similar to that of the battle planning station.
Why leave it up there if you've got a better choice, like a tree or iron ring to rig your station?
Drink up, you will feel better, then you may wash yourselves and the master will explain your station.
Where's the med station?
She returned to the communications station.
It was a Texaco station.
If you're an honest, law-abiding guy, like everyone says Jeffrey Byrne was or is, why don't you just turn it in to the closest police station?
I had my suitcase in the car anyway 'cause I was gonna get a room near the bus station.
Early the next morning, after showering, he walked around the corner to a gas station and from an outside payphone dialed Cece Baldwin.
He called the station and reported the description of the vehicle.
The police arrived, in the form of Jenny Nachman and a young Hispanic named Alverez and it was suggested that Dean and Fred go to the station.
When they finally finished and left the station, Jenny drove the exhausted pair home.
The same day the station received word from the FBI the gun Dean recovered at Willoughby's had been stolen from a security guard in Connecticut the prior March.
He had no intention of calling the Parkside Police station.
You should be grateful for your station.
She gave him a long look, imagining them Traveling to a bustling train station populated only by Others.
There's a station near here.
She pushed the location of the station into his mind then disappeared, Traveling without him.
He circled the portal once again, stalling, before finally Traveling to the nearby station.
The station nearest the portal had called him with the previous evening's activity report early in the morning.
Jenn stood on the low front porch of the Guardians' station.
A gas station that fixed flats, a few houses and the store – that was about it.
At the gas station there were only two cars.
She didn't immediately notice the tall man watching her from the gas station.
She glanced at the station as she passed, but the little blue mustang was gone.
It was the man who had watched her from the station... the man on the airplane.
Xander picked up on one of the Guardians from the local station moving towards the alley.
"Evenin'," he greeted Gerry, the station chief.
Neat and comfortable, their station acted as their home as well as their hub for coordinating operations in LA.
He'd pay Gerry's station another visit later today.
Figures they're somewhere where our nearest station is ten miles out.
It is an important station on the Oudh & Rohilkhand railway, with a junction for Aligarh.
On the 2nd of July, while on his way to attend the commencement exercises at Williams College, the new president was shot in a Washington railway station by a disappointed office-seeker named Charles J.
from Dalwhinnie station on the Highland railway.
At any single station potential gradient has a wide range of values.
The diurnal variation in summer at the latter station is shown graphically in the top curve of fig.
So again, in the case of the Paris curves, the absolute value of the diurnal range in summer was much greater for the Eiffel Tower than for the Bureau Central, but the mean voltage was 2150 at the former station and only 134 at the latter.
aims at giving a summary of the several phenomena for a single station, Kew, on electrically quiet days.
His station, Philippeville, is close to the shores of the Mediterranean, and sea breezes persisted during the day.
On the other hand, at Altjoch, an Alpine station, from nine days' observations in July 1903 they obtained a mean of 137, the maximum being 224, and the minimum 92.
At this station much lower values were found for A with sea breezes than with land breezes.
Thunder.-Trustworthy frequency statistics for an individual station are obtainable only from a long series of observations, while if means are taken from a large area places may be included which differ largely amongst themselves.
This number at the average station of the country fell from 38.4 in 1901 to 23.1 in 1902.
A curing station is established at Killeany, the harbour of Inishmore.
Down to the close of the 17th century it was of some importance as a naval station.
The harbour, now of little commercial or strategic importance, but formerly a celebrated naval station, is sheltered on the west and south-west by the promontory of Mt.
At La Carlota the Spanish government established a station for the study of the culture of sugar-cane; by the American government this has been converted into a general agricultural experiment station, known as "Government Farm."
DINAPUR, a town and military station of British India, in the Patna district of Bengal, on the right bank of the Ganges, 12 m.
Since the British occupation Valletta has been a naval and military station of the first importance.
At the northeastern extremity is a group of islands, upon one of which is the naval station of La Maddalena: farther S.E.
This small island serves as a quarantine station.
It is the seat of the New York State Agricultural Experiment Station and of Hobart College (nonsectarian), which was first planned in 1812, was founded in 1822 (the majority of its incorporators being members of the Protestant Episcopal church) as successor to Geneva Academy, received a full charter as Geneva College in 1825, and was renamed Hobart Free College in 1852 and Hobart College in 1860, in honour of Bishop John Henry Hobart.
It seems, however, to have had some importance as a post station.
The city has a station on the North Western railway 32 m.
It was the first mission station of the church of England in the Punjab.
In 1443 the allied armies of the Hungarians under Hunyady and the Servians under George Brankovich, retook it from the Turks, but in 1456 it again came under Turkish dominion, and remained for more than 300 years the most important Turkish military station on the road between Hungary and Constantinople.
Greenwich is first noticed in the reign of Ethelred, when it was a station of the Danish fleet (1011-1014).
The marshes have been drained, and a pumping station erected near Castel Fusano.
In spite of the Roman origin suggested by its name, so few remains have been found here that it is doubtful whether Chesterfield was a Roman station.
Among the principal buildings are the First National bank, the immense Union station and the Saint Vincent hospital; besides several fine office and school buildings (including the beautiful manual training high school) and churches.
The most important educational institutions are the Birmingham medical college and college of pharmacy; the Birmingham dental college; a school of art and a conservatory of music. At East Lake station, in the north-east of the city, is Howard College (Baptist; founded at Marion, Perry county, in 1841 as an academy; granted first collegiate degrees in 1848; opened in East Lake in 1887); and 2 m.
The town has a station on the Southern Mahratta railway.
Avranches, an important military station of the Romans, was in the middle ages chief place of a county of the duchy of Normandy.
The town has a station on the Anatolian railway, about 60 m.
It has manufactures of coarse cloth, spirits and soap. The nearest railway station is Calasparra, 6 m.
Morelia is served by a branch of the Mexican National railway; its station is outside the city, with which it is connected by a small tramway line.
The growth has been chiefly towards the north and north-west; but there are large suburbs on the west, and on the southwest near the railway station on the plain of Rephaim.
Without the walls carriage roads have been made to the mount of Olives, the railway station, and various parts of the suburbs, but they are kept in bad repair.
It is a military station, and was founded towards the close of the 11th century.
of the station of the same name on the Caledonian railway from Callander to Oban, and 274 m.
Naval defence in any case remained primarily a question for the Imperial navy, and by agreement (1903, for ten years) between the British government and the governments of the Commonwealth (contributing an annual subsidy of £200,000) and of New Zealand (£40,000), an efficient fleet patrolled the Australasian waters, Sydney, its headquarters, being ranked as a first-class naval station.
A military station having been fixed by the British government at Port Victoria, on the coast of Arnheim Land, for the protection of shipwrecked mariners on the north coast, it was thought desirable to find an overland route between this settlement and Moreton Bay, in what then was the northern portion of New South Wales, now called Queensland.
Mr Gosse, with men and horses provided by the South Australian government, started on the 21st of April from the telegraph station So m.
Forrest and his party safely crossed the entire extent of Western Australia, and entering South Australia struck the overland telegraph line at Peake station, and, after resting, journeyed south to Adelaide.
In 1827 and 1829, an English company endeavoured to plant a settlement at the Swan river, and this, added to a small military station established in 1825 at King George Sound, constituted Western Australia.
m.), with a lighthouse and lifeboat station.
Neuwerk, containing some marshland protected by dikes, has two lighthouses and a lifeboat station.
UJJAIN, or Ujain, a city of central India, in the state of Gwalior, on the right bank of the river Sipra, with a station on the branch of the Rajputana railway from Ratlam to Bhopal.
Woolwich seems to have been a small fishing village until in the beginning of the 16th century it rose into prominence as a dockyard and naval station.
The department of agriculture has an experiment station, established by the state in 1896, in which important experiments in cotton breeding have been carried on.
Important railway lines were constructed from Kagan (the station on the main line io m.
It has a station on the Cambrian line between Moat Lane and Brecon, and two others (high and low levels) at Builth Road about 14 m.
This, of course, means that a new station, where clearing, digging, and building are in progress, is often unhealthy for a time, and to this must be attributed the evil reputation which the peninsula formerly enjoyed.
from its station (Grampound Road) on the Great Western railway.
The Islands), capital and largest city of Algeria, North Africa, seat of the governorgeneral, of a court of appeal, and of an archbishop, and station of the French XIX.
On the quay are the landing-stages, the custom-house and the railway station.
Algiers is the chief coaling station in the Mediterranean, having become so largely at the expense of Gibraltar.
Garrison, a fishing station on the wild Lough Melvin, and Pettigo, near to the lower Lough Erne, are market villages.
Benevento is a station on the railway from Naples to Foggia, and has branch lines to Campobasso and to Avellino.
2 Port Lloyd, the chief anchorage (situated on Peel Island), is considered by Commodore Perry - who visited the islands in 1853 and strongly urged the establishment of a United States coaling station there - to have been formerly the crater of a volcano from which the surrounding hills were thrown up, the entrance to the harbour being a fissure through which lava used to pour into the sea.
of the VernexMontreux railway station, while it is well served by steamers plying over the Lake of Geneva.
Berhampur was fixed upon after the battle of Plassey as the site of the chief military station for Bengal; and a huge square of brick barracks was erected in 1767, at a cost of 30o,000.
BELA, a town of British India, administrative headquarters of the Partabgarh district of the United Provinces, with a railway station 80 m.
It adjoins the village of Partabgarh proper, and the civil station sometimes known as Andrewganj.
of Forres by the Highland railway, with a station on the Great North of Scotland's Speyside line connecting Craigellachie with Boat of Garten.
In front of the Royal Engineers' Institute is a statue (1890) of General Gordon, and near the railway station another (1888) to Thomas Waghorn, promoter of the overland route to India.
and Charles II., and became the chief naval station of England.
Steam is an extremely useful motive power for all cranes that are not worked off a central power station.
Where, however, there are a number of cranes all belonging to the same installation, and these are placed so as to be conveniently worked from a central power station, and where the work is rapid, heavy and continuous, as is the case at large ports, docks and railway or other warehouses, experience has shown that it is best to produce the power in a generating station and distribute it to the cranes.
Down to the closing decades of the 19th century hydraulic power was practically the only system available for working cranes from a power station.
When they are worked from a power station the great advantage is gained that the same plant which drives them can be used for many other purposes, such as working machine tools and supplying current for lighting.
Where electric or hydraulic cranes are worked from a central station the speed is greater, and may be roughly represented by V =5 +30o/T; e.g.
The repair being thus completed, the various mark buoys are picked up, and the ship returns to her usual station.
The currents actuate a ratchet-wheel mechanism at the receiving station, whereby the hand on a small dial is moved on letter by letter.
When signals are to be sent from either station the operator turns the switch c out of contact with the stop b, and then operates precisely as in open circuit send '" i ing.
The arrangement at a wayside station is shown at W.
The arrangement at a station worked by relay on the " single-current " system is shown in fig.
B, indicating whether a station is calling, in case the relay sticks or is out of adjustment.
The result is that the armature of the relay is attracted, and currents are sent through the sounder from the local battery, producing the signals from the distant station.
At each station sets of telegraph apparatus are connected to the segments, so that when the arms are kept rotating the set connected to I becomes periodically connected to the set connected to I', the set connected to 2 to the set connected to 2', and so on.
To each group is connected a set of apparatus; hence during a complete revolution of the arms a pair of instruments (at station A and station B) will be in communication four times, and the intervals during which any particular set of instruments at the two stations are not in connexion with each other become much smaller than in the case of fig.
At regular intervals a rotating arm on the distributor connects the five keys of each keyboard to line, thus passing the signals to the distant station, where they pass through the distributor and certain relays which repeat the currents corresponding to the depressed keys and actuate electromagnets in the receivers.
The Baudot apparatus can have certain channels extended so as to form a means of continuous communication between one station and two or three others by means of one line.
At the receiving station electrical mechanisms record the signals once more as perforations in a paper strip forming an exact replica of the transmitting tape.
Owing to the variable illumination of the selenium thus produced, the resistance of the latter, and therefore the intensity of the current sent through the line to the receiving station by the battery, will be altered accordingly.
At the receiving station a cylinder - which revolves synchronously with the transmitting cylinder - is covered with a photographic film or paper, upon a point of which a pencil of light from a Nernst lamp is concentrated.
To eliminate the sluggish action of the selenium transmitter a selenium cell similar to that at the transmitting station is arranged at the receiving apparatus, and exposed to precisely similar variations of light, the arrangement being such that the lag of this cell counteracts the lag of the transmitting cell.
A, slip as received on recorder, using ordinary relays for translating on to second cable; B, slip as received on recorder, when interpolator is used at intermediate station, for sending on to second cable; C (four cells through a line, KR=3.6), signals with recorder under ordinary conditions; D, all conditions the same as in C, but magnifying relay inserted between the end of the line and the recorder.
Elec. Eng., 2 7, p. 869.) In 1899 experiments were made atMenai Straits to put the lighthouse at the Skerries into communication with the coastguard station at Cemlyn.
At each signalling station was erected an insulated metallic surface facing and near to the ordinary telegraph wires.
Hence, when the coil at one fixed station was in action it generated high frequency alternating currents, which were propagated across the air gap between the ordinary telegraph wires and the metallic surfaces attached to one secondary terminal of the induction coil, and conveyed along the ordinary telegraph wires between station and moving train.
Thus, in the case of one station and one moving railway carriage, there is a circuit consisting partly of the earth, partly of the ordinary telegraph wires at the side of the track, and partly of the circuits of the telephone receiver at one place and the secondary of the induction coil at the other, two air gaps existing in this circuit.
At the sending station one battery was to have its positive pole connected to the earth and its negative pole to an insulated condenser.
At the receiving station a telephone receiver was placed in series with another insulated battery, the negative terminal of which was to be in connexion with the earth.
At the receiving station Marconi connected a single voltaic cell B 1 and a sensitive telegraphic relay R in series with his tube of metallic filings C, and interposed certain little coils called choking coils.
Later the Bournemouth station was removed to Poole Harbour, and the Alum Bay station to Niton in the Isle of Wight, the distance being thus increased to 30 m.
This consists of a receiving antenna similar to the sending antenna, and in any wireless telegraph station it is usual to make the one and the same antenna do duty as a receiver or sender by switching it over from one apparatus to the other.
The electric waves coming through space from the sending station strike against the receiving antenna and set up in it high frequency alternating electromotive forces.
At the receiving station the differences in these systems depend chiefly upon variations in the actual form of the oscillation detector used, whether it be a loose contact or a thermal, electrolytic or magnetic detector.
200 m., and he considered that the time had come for a serious attempt to be made to communicate across the Atlantic. A site for a first Transatlantic electric wave power station was secured at Poldhu, near Mullion in south Cornwall, by the Marconi Company, and plans arranged for an installation.
The special electrical engineering arrangements employed at the outset for this first electric wave power station required to create the oscillations of the desired power were designed for Marconi by J.
from the sending station at Poldhu, and also received the letter " S " at a distance of 2099 m.
The appliances in the Poldhu station were subsequently enlarged and improved by Marconi, and corresponding power stations erected at Cape Cod, Massachusetts, U.S.A., and at Cape Breton in Nova Scotia.
As the power station at Poldhu was then fully occupied with the business of long distance transmission to ships, the Marconi Company began to erect another large power station to Marconi's designs at Clifden in Connemara on the west coast of Ireland.
This station was intended for the Transatlantic service in correspondence with a similar station at Glace Bay in Nova Scotia.
The station was opened shortly afterwards for public service, the rates being greatly below that then current for the cable service.
The service was, however, interrupted in August 1909 by a fire, which destroyed part of the Glace Bay station, but was re-established in April 1910.
12039 of 1896) brought forward the idea of focusing a beam of electric radiation for telegraphic purposes on a distant station by means of parabolic mirrors, and tried this method successfully on Salisbury Plain up to a distance of about a couple of miles.
Another closely connected problem is that of locating or ascertaining the direction of the sending station.
If these two were broadside on to the direction of the sending station oscillations in the same phase would be produced in them both, but if they were in line with it then the oscillations would be in opposite phases.
It was then proposed to arrange a detector so that it was affected by the algebraic sum of the two oscillations, and by swivelling round the double receiving antennae to locate the direction of the sending station by finding out when the detector gave the best signal.
771818) to employ a receiving antenna consisting of vertical wires held in a frame which could be swivelled round into various positions and used to locate the position of the sending station by ascertaining the position in which the frame must be placed to create in it the maximum oscillatory current.
Marconi also showed that if such a bent receiving antenna was used the greatest oscillations were created in it when its insulated end pointed directly away from the sending station.
In this manner he was able to provide means for locating an invisible sending station.
5 The writer recommended the use of a flexible plate at the source of sound, which would vibrate in response to the varying pressure of the bons' air, and thus open and close an electric circuit, and of a similar plate at the receiving station, which would be acted on electromagnetically and thus give out as many pulsations as there are breaks in the current.
These suggestions were to some extent an anticipation of the work of Reis; but the conditions to be fulfilled before the sounds given out at the receiving station can be similar in pitch, quality and relative intensity to those produced at the transmitting station are not stated, and do not seem to have been appreciated.
These electric pulses were made to act on an electromagnet at the receiving station, which, in accordance with Page's discovery, gave out a sound of a pitch corresponding to the number of times it was magnetized or demagnetized per second.
The suggestion of Bourseul and the experiments of Reis are founded on the idea that a succession of currents, corresponding in number to the successive undulations of the pressure on the membrane of the transmitting instrument, could reproduce at the receiving station sounds of the same character as those produced at the sending station.
currents, and sounds were given out corresponding in pitch, and also to some extent in quality, with the sounds produced at the transmitting station.
This formed a local circuit at the transmitting station.
The line of circuit passed through the secondary of the induction coil I to the line, from that to the telephone T at the receiving station, 'See Journal of the Telegraph, New York, April 1877; Philadelphia Times, 9th July 1877; and Scientific American, August 181 This term was used by Wheatstone in 1827 for an acoustic apparatus intended to convert very feeble into audible sounds; see his Scientific Papers, p. 32.
An exchange is a central station to which wires are brought from the various subscribers in its neighbourhood, any two of whom can be put in telephonic communication with each other when the proper pairs of wires are joined together in the exchange.
At the subscriber's station when the receiver is on the hook switch the circuit is through the call-bell and a condenser.
From this station as a centre the little band of adventurers, playing the Greeks off against the Lombards, and the Lombards against the Greeks, spread their power in all directions, until they made themselves the most considerable force in southern Italy William of Hauteville was proclaimed count of Apulia.
No further step was taken until, at the end of 1879, Rubattino prepared to establish a commercial station.
Shortly afterwards his term of office was brought to a close by the failure of an attempt to secure for Italy a coaling station at Sanmen and a sphere of influence in China; but his policy of active participation in Chinese affairs was continued in a modified form by his successor, the Marquis Visconti Venosta, who, entering the reconstructed Pelloux cabinet in May 1899, retained the portfolio of foreign affairs in the ensuing Saracco administration, and secured the despatch of an Italian expedition, 2000 strong, to aid in repressing the Chinese outbreak and in protecting Italian interests in the Far East (July 1900).
The town is on the Great North Road, on which it was formerly an important coaching station.
A well-appointed meteorological station has been established at Port Blair since 1868.
The official figures in inches for the station at Port Blair, which is situated in by far the driest part of the settlement, were: - A tidal observatory has also been maintained at Port Blair since 1880.
The older advocates of evolution sought for the causes of the process exclusively in the influence of varying conditions, such as climate and station, or hybridization, upon living forms. Even Treviranus has got no further than this point.
Near the station is a second Beguinage with 400 inmates.
Extensive use is made of building materials from the Roman station of Corstopitum (also called Corchester), which lay half a mile west of Corbridge at the junction of the Cor with the Tyne.
in weight and ornamented with figures of deities; but the first-rate importance of the station was only revealed by careful excavations undertaken in 1907 seq.
Rhayader is a station on the Cambrian railway.
In 1801, when the Ceded Provinces were acquired by the East India Company, it became the chief British frontier station.
The fort has been dismantled; and in trade the town is outstripped by Astara, the customs station on the Persian frontier.
Station (1896), vii.
Other prominent structures are the U.S. government and the judiciary buildings, the latter connected with the capitol by a stone terrace, the city hall, the county court house, the union station, the board of trade, the soldiers' memorial hall (with a seating capacity of about 4500), and several office buildings.
The city has several parks, including the Franklin of 90 acres, the Goodale of 44 acres, and the Schiller of 24 acres, besides the Olentangy, a well-equipped amusement resort on the banks of the river from which it is named, the Indianola, another amusement resort, and the United States military post and recruiting station, which occupies 80 acres laid out like a park.
1887); the public library; the theatre; the post-office; and the fine new central railway station.
Trunk railway station.
above its mouth, and a terminal railway station 8 m.
The town lies among hills, has an excellent climate, and in colonial times was (like Holguin) an acclimatization station for troops fresh from Spain; it now has considerable repute as a health resort.
Agrippa made the fine natural harbour into the main naval station of the Mediterranean fleet, and founded a colony there probably in 31 B.C. The emperor Tiberius died in his villa here.
It is a station on the East Indian railway, 368 m.
At the Union Station more than 150 trains enter and depart daily, carrying more than 30,000 passengers.
Other noteworthy buildings are the Federal building (containing post-office, custom-house and Federal court-rooms; erected at a cost of $3,000,000); Tomlinson Hall, capable of seating 3000 persons, given to the city by Daniel Tomlinson; the Propylaeum, a club-house for women; the Commercial club; Das Deutsche Haus, belonging to a German social club; the Maennerchor club-house; the Union railway station; the traction terminal building; the city hall, and the public library.
of Norton Bridge station on the London & North-Western main line.
A somewhat better theory of rate regulation was then framed, which divided railway expenditures into movement expense, connected with the line in general, and terminal expense, which connected itself with the stations and station service.
There has been also a further attempt in England to divide terminal charges into station and service terminals, according to the nature of the work for which compensation is sought.
The Regulation of Railways Act of 1871 extends the provisions of the above act to the opening of " any additional line of railway, deviation line, station, junction or crossing on the level " which forms a portion of or is connected with a passenger railway, and which has been constructed subsequently to the inspection of it.
By being struck by barrows, by falling over packages, &c., on station platforms .
A terminal station embraces (I) the passenger station; (2) the goods station; (3) the locomotive, carriage and waggon depots, where the engines and the carrying stock are kept, cleaned, examined and repaired.
passengers and goods are generally in different and sometimes in distant positions, the place selected for each being that which is most convenient for the traffic. The passenger station abuts on the main line, or, at termini, forms the natural terminus, at a place as near as can conveniently be obtained to the centre of the population which constitutes the passenger traffic; and preferably its platforms should be at or near the ground level, for convenience of access.
The goods station is approached by a siding or fork set off from the main line at a point short of the passenger station.
In order to keep down the expense of shunting the empty trains and engines to and from the platforms the carriage and locomotive depots should be as near the passenger station as possible; but often the price of land renders it impracticable to locate them in the immediate vicinity and they are to be found at a distance of several miles.
At stations on double-track railways which have a heavy traffic four tracks are sometimes provided, the two outside ones only having platforms, so that fast trains get a clear road and can pass slow ones that are standing in the station.
At the new Victoria station (London) of the London, Brighton & South Coast railway - which is so long that two trains can stand end to end at the platforms - this system is extended so as to permit a train to start out from the inner end of a platform even though another train is occupying the outer end.
At intermediate stations the roofs are often carried on brackets fixed to the walls of the station buildings, and project only to the edge of the platforms. At larger stations where both the platforms and the tracks are covered in, there are two broad types of construction, with many intermediate variations: the roof may either be comparatively low, of the " ridge and furrow " pattern, borne on a number of rows of pillars, or it may consist of a single lofty span extending clear across the area from the side walls.
away from the edges of the platforms. On the other hand, wide spans are more expensive both in first cost and in maintenance, and there is the possibility of a failure such as caused the collapse in December 1905 of the roof of Charing Cross (S.E.R.) station, London, which then consisted of a single span.
At a small roadside station, where the traffic is of a purely local character, there will be some sidings to which horses and carts have access for handling bulk goods like coal, gravel,.
In a large station the arrangements become much more complicated, the precise design being governed by the nature of the traffic that has to be served and by the physical configuration of the site.
British railways also undertake the collection and delivery of freight, in addition to transporting it, and thus an extensive range of vans and wagons, whether drawn by horses or mechanically propelled, must be provided in connexion with an important station.
It may happen that from a large station sufficient traffic may be consigned to certain other large stations to enable full train-loads to be made up daily, or several times a day, and despatched direct to their destinations.
A station of moderate size may collect goods destined for a great variety of places but not in sufficient quantities to compose a full train-load for any of them, and then it becomes impossible to avoid despatching trains which contain wagons intended for many diverse destinations.
27 a the wagons is necessary to get them into station order this is effected on the same principle.
In the second case, however, there are all the losses due to transmission from the central station to the train to be considered, as well as the cost of the transmitting apparatus itself.
When the service is frequent enough to give a good power factor continuously, the steam locomotive cannot compete with the electric motor for the purpose of quick acceleration, because the motors applied to the axles of a train may for a short time absorb power from the central station to an extent far in excess of anything which a locomotive boiler can supply.
Except at the shafts, which were sunk on proposed station sites, there was no interference with the surface of the streets or with street traffic during construction.
The object was to bring the level of the station platforms as close to the .
Underground railways are of three general types: the one of extreme depth, built by tunnelling methods, usually with the shield and without regard to the surface topography, where the stations are put at such depth as to require lifts to carry the passengers from the station platform to the street level.
This system has the advantage of the greatest convenience in operation, no lifts being required, since the distance from the street surface to the station platform is about 12 to 15 ft.; it has the disadvantages, however, of necessitating the tearing up of the street surface during construction, and the readjustment of sewer, water, gas and electric mains and other subsurface structures, and of having the gradients partially dependent on the surface topography.
The third type is the intermediate one between those two, followed by the Metropolitan and Metropolitan District railways, in London, where the railway has an arched roof, built usually at a sufficient distance below the surface of the street to permit the other subsurface structures to lie in the ground above the crown of the arch, and where the station platforms are from 20 to 30 ft.
Next to Stanley the most important place on East Falkland is Darwin on Choiseul Sound - a village of Scottish shepherds and a station of the Falkland Island Company.
The Falkland Islands Company, having its headquarters at Stanley and an important station in the camp at Darwin, carries on an extensive business in sheep-farming and the dependent industries, and in the general import trade.
Stanley was for some years a naval station, but ceased to be so in 1904.
Near the station, which is on the E.
In 1877 the American consul hoisted his country's flag, but the action was repudiated by his government, which, however, in 1878 obtained Pago Pago as a coaling station and made a trading treaty with the natives.
Dunmore became a station of the Scranton post office in 1902.
An agricultural experiment station and a normal school are conducted in connexion with the university.
The earliest recorded public meeting was held at Mormon Station (now Genoa) on the 12th of November 1851.
At length under Augustus it suddenly rose into importance, when that emperor selected it as the station for his fleet on "the upper sea."
Tooley Street, leading east from Southwark by London Bridge railway station, is well known in connexion with the story of three tailors of Tooley Street, who addressed a petition to parliament opening with the comprehensive expression "We, the people of England."
below Reni railway station.
In 1809 the town was again captured by the Russians; and, when in 1812 it was assigned to them by the Bucharest peace, they chose it as the central station for their Danube fleet.
above the plain, commanding splendid views, and is approached on the east by a funicular railway from the station.
Augustus is said to have conducted here a colony of veterans,' but the place never had any great importance, and the lagoons behind it made it unhealthy, though the construction of the Via Domitiana through it must have made it a posting station.
At last (July 13, 1909) the powers announced to the Porte, in answer to a formal remonstrance, their decision to withdraw their remaining troops from Crete by July 26 and to station four war-ships off the island to protect the Moslems and to safeguard " the supreme rights " of the Ottoman Empire.
The nearest railway station is Luque (pop. 497 2), 4 m.
of Morelia; Patzcuaro (7621), on Patzcuaro lake, with a station on the Mexican National, 7550 ft.
of Ayr by the Glasgow & South-Western railway, with a station in the town and at the harbour.
of Cairo by rail, the railway station being on the opposite side of the river.
An agricultural experiment station established in 1887 under the Hatch Act, is at Agricultural College; and there are branch experiment stations at McNeill, Pearl River county (1906), near Holly Springs, and at Stoneville, near Greenville.
Johnston surrendered near Durham Station, in Durham county, on the 26th.
Mafeking was originally the headquarters of the Barolong tribe of Bechuana and is still their largest station, the native location (pop. 2860) being about a mile distant from the town.
The city of Bhopal, a railway station, had a population in 1901 of 76,561.
north of Burnham Beeches station on the Great Western railway.
In 1776 he was appointed to the command of the North American station.
On the arrival of Admiral John Byron from England with reinforcements, Howe left the station in September.
The dock railway station lies a mile from the town station.
It was a station on the Via Flaminia and a municipium.
of its station on the railway between Chiusi and Orvieto.
of the station, crowns the summit of a hill (1984 ft.), and is surrounded by medieval walls.
In 1840 the appearance of Chemistry in its Application to Agriculture and Physiology by Justus von Liebig set on foot a movement in favour of scientific husbandry, the most notable outcome of which was the establishment by Sir John Bennet Lawes in 1843 of the experimental station of Rothamsted.
Pembroke is a station on the South Wales system of the Great Western railway.
The more subservient Champagny now became what was virtually the chief clerk in the French foreign office; and other changes placed in high station men who were remarkable for docility rather than originality and power.
The station for the town (Catanzaro Sala) is situated on a branch line connecting the two main lines along the east and west coasts of Calabria, 6 m.
By the end of 1914, the entrances of Scapa Flow had been adequately protected, facilities for carrying out all but the most serious repairs were installed, and Scapa Flow gradually assumed the aspect of a great naval station, which it retained to the end of the war.
David Thomson with a small company from Plymouth, England, in the spring or early summer of 1623 built and fortified a house at Little Harbor (now Odiorne's Point in the township of Rye) as a fishing and trading station.
In 1849 he severed his connexion with politics and retired to the mission station at Hankey, Cape Colony, where he died on the 27th of August 1851.
The former (the North, or Union station, 1893) covers 9 acres and has 23 tracks; the latter (the South Terminal, 1898), one of the largest stations in the world, covers 13 acres and has 32 tracks, and is used by the Boston & Albany and by the New York, New Haven & Hartford railways.
After its overthrow by Aurelian, Palmyra was partially revived as a military station by Diocletian (end of 3rd century A.D.), as we learn from a Latin inscription found on the site.
400, Palmyra was the station of the first Illyrian legion (Not.
Railway station, 10 m.
At Sackett's Harbor are Madison Barracks, a United States military post, established in 1813 and including a reservation of 99 acres; and a United States Naval Station.
In the War of 1812 Sackett's Harbor was an important strategic point for the Americans, who had here a naval station, Fort Tompkins, at the base of Navy Point, and Fort Volunteer, on the eastern side of the harbour.
Almost all the American stores at the naval station were destroyed to save them from the enemy.
Llandilo is a station on the Mid-Wales section of the London & NorthWestern railway, and a terminus of the Llandilo-Llanelly branch line of the Great Western.
The lake freezes usually at the end of December, or in the beginning of January, so solidly that a temporary post-horse station is erected on the ice in the middle of the lake, and it remains frozen till the second half of May.
The principal public buildings are the Federal building, the court house, an auditorium seating 7000, a Union Station and a public library.
The line, which affords through communication from Europe by way of the Trans-Siberian system, enters Manchuria near a station of that name in the north-west corner of the country, passes Khailar, and runs south-east, near Tsitsihar, to Harbin.
of Maseru, is the oldest mission station in the Territory, having been founded by the Paris Society about 1833.
Before 1905 the state provided for higher education by the Florida State College, at Tallahassee, formerly the West Florida Seminary (founded in 1857); the University of Florida, at Lake City, which was organized in 1903 by enlarging the work of the Florida Agricultural College (founded in 1884); the East Florida Seminary, at Gainesville (founded 1848 at Ocala); the normal school (for whites) at De Funiak Springs; and the South Florida Military Institute at Bartow; but in 1905 the legislature passed the Buckman bill abolishing all these state institutions for higher education and establishing in their place the university of the state of Florida and a state Agricultural Experiment Station, both now at Gainesville, and the Florida Female College at Tallahassee, which has the same standards for entrance and for graduation as the state university for men.
This station is the centre of a polyglot circuit or district 150 m.
The central or main railway station is in Gross Basel, while the Baden station is in Klein Basel.
Among institutions there are a specially fine public library, museums of geology and natural history and antiquities, mining and science schools, the West Cornwall Infirmary and a meteorological station.
The village became a station on the Underground Railway, and an important centre of anti-slavery sentiment.
YOKOSUKA, a seaport and naval station of Japan, on the W.
In 1884 the port became a first-class naval station; and naval barracks, warehouses, offices, hospitals, &c., were established here.
The Federal government has an agricultural experiment station at Mayaguez.
It is a station on the Mexican Central railway, 364 m.
and the centre the old railway station, the Union Depot (the new station is called the Terminal); large additions have been made beyond this circle, including West End, Inman Park on the east, and North Atlanta.
ZUTPHEN, or Zutfen, a town in the province of Gelderland, Holland, on the right bank of the Ysel at the influx of the Berkel, and a junction station 18 m.
It is the eastern terminus of the Pennsylvania, the Lehigh Valley, the West Shore, the Central of New Jersey, the Baltimore & Ohio, the Northern of New Jersey (operated by the Erie), the Erie, the New York, Susquehanna & Western, and the New Jersey & New York (controlled by the Erie) railways, the first three using the Pennsylvania station; and of the little-used Morris canal.
The police station is partly accommodated in an ancient square tower, once the stronghold of the Johnstones, for a long period the ruling family under whose protection the town gradually grew up. At Dryfe Sands, about 2 m.
He, however, again came to England, and remained there in a private station for several years.
As Helston has the nearest railway station to the Lizard, with its magnificent coast-scenery, there is a considerable tourist traffic in summer.
Near the station, below the town, are factories of india-rubber and calcium carbide.
along the axis of the disturbance, and the mission station of Wairoa (8 m.
The town is on the sea-coast, and has a railway station.
It serves as a coaling station for men-of-war and as a highroad to Abyssinia.
The station of Lugh, the most advanced point occupied by Italy, had been founded by Captain Bottego in 1895.
He named one hundred preachers who after his death were to meet once a year, fill up vacancies in their number, appoint a president and secretary, station the preachers, admit proper persons into the ministry, and take general oversight of the societies.
from the boulevard to the railway station is the mosque of Nebi Daniel, containing the tombs of Said Pasha and other members of the khedivial family.
(2) The Great Theatre, on the modern Hospital Hill near the Ramleh station.
A.).] During the anarchy which accompanied Ottoman rule in Egypt from first to last, Alexandria sank to a small town of about 4000 inhabitants; and it owed its modern renascence solely to Mehemet Ali, who wanted a deep port and naval station for his viceregal domain.
BETTIA, a town of British India, in the Champaran district of Bengal; situated on a former branch of the Harha river, with a station on the Tirhoot section of the Bengal & NorthWestern railway.
wide, is an important fishing station.
It contains several brochs and ruined chapels and is an important fishing station.
TALGARTH, a decayed market town in Breconshire, South Wales, situated on the Ennig near its junction with the Llynfi (a tributary of the Wye), with a station on the joint line of the Cambrian and Midland companies from Brecon to Three Cocks Junction (22 m.
The fortified station of Dinas occupies the summit of a hill about 22 m.
Of these a great proportion came from the cemetery and from the foundations of the railway station.
Victrix was situated near the site of the cathedral, and a municipality (colonia) grew up, near where the railway station now is, on the opposite side of the Ouse.
It is hardly mentioned in imperial times, except as a station on the road (Via Amerina) which diverged from the Via Cassia near the modern Settevene and ran to Ameria and Tuder.
Suez is a quarantine station for pilgrims from Mecca; otherwise its importance is due almost entirely to the ships using the canal.
On the Ottoman conquest of Egypt in the 6th century Suez became a naval as well as a trading station, and here fleets were equipped which for a time disputed the mastery of the Indian Ocean with the Portuguese.
Levi Coffin (1798-1877), a native of North Carolina (whose cousin, Vestal Coffin, had established before 1819 a "station" of the Underground near what is now Guilford College, North Carolina), in 1826 settled in Wayne County, Ohio; his home at New Garden (now Fountain City) was the meeting point of three "lines" from Kentucky; and in 1847 he removed to Cincinnati, where his labours in bringing slaves out of the South were even more successful.
A state sugar experiment station is maintained at Audubon Park in New Orleans, its work embracing the development of seedlings, the improvement of cane varieties, the study of fungus diseases of the cane, the improvement of mill methods and the reconciliation of such methods (for example, the use of sulphur as a bleaching and clarifying agent) with the requirements of " pure food " laws.
A central agricultural experiment station (founded 1904) is maintained by the government at Santiago de las Vegas; but there is no agricultural college, nor any special school for the scientific teaching and improvement of sugar and tobacco farming or manufacture.
In Havana, also, there is a school of painting and sculpture, a school of arts and trades, and a national library, all of which are supported or subventioned by the national government, as are also a public library in Matanzas, and the Agricultural Experiment Station at Santiago de las Vegas.
The city of Bikanir has a railway station.
The burden of maintaining it, however, proving too great for the society's means, appeal was made in vain to government for national support, and the station was closed in 1904.
The town of Bahawalpur is situated near the left bank of the Sutlej, and has a railway station 65 m.
The neolithic station of Butmir, near Ilidze, was probably a lake-dwellers' colony, and has yielded numerous stone and horn implements, clay figures and pottery.
Sporadic insurrections had already broken out among the Bosnian Christians, and on the 1st of July 1875 the villagers of Nevesinje, which gives its name to a mountain neolithische Station von Butmir (Vienna 1895-1898); P. Ballif, Romische Strassen in Bosnien and Herzegovina (Vienna, 1893, &c.).
The cable and telegraph line from Otranto, in Italy, to Constantinople, has an important station here.
It is reached from the Pacific by way of Challapata, a station on the Antofagasta & Oruro railway.
The line was thus continued to a station taking its name from Bulgurlu, a small straggling village four miles away, between which and Eregli there is not a single habitation.
Captain Bettesworth who commanded the brig hurried home, and the information he brought was at once acted on by Lord Barham, the First Lord of the Admiralty, who took measures to station a force to intercept Villeneuve outside Ferrol.
Pop. (1905), 3735 It has a palace built about 1630 and now converted into a cadet school, a gymnasium and a biological station.
of London by the London & South Western railway (Esher and Claremont station).
To the north near the railway station is Sandown Park, where important race meetings are held.
of Windermere station on the London & North-Western railway.
To these parish parliaments delegates are sent from every station.
In the beginning of the 12th century Greenland got its own bishop, who resided at Garolar, near the present Eskimo station Igoliko, on an isthmus between two fjords, Igaliksfjord (the old Einarsfjord) and Tunugdliarfik (the old Eriksfjord), inside the present colony Julianehaab.
Excavations carried out by the marquess of Bute from 188 9 onward furnished for the first time conclusive proof that Cardiff had been a Roman station, and also revealed the sequence of changes which it had subsequently undergone.
At Amherst is also the MassachusettsAgricultural College (co-educational; 1867) and experiment station (1887).
This did not suit him, but from March 1883 to July 1884 he was at home at a charming house called La Solitude, above Hyeres; this was in many ways to be the happiest station in the painful and hurrying pilgrimage of Stevenson's life.
Thyateira was an ancient town re-peopled with Macedonians by Seleucus about 290 B.C. It became an ithportant station on the Roman road from Pergamum to Laodicea, and one of the "Seven Churches" of Asia (Rev. ii.
The Act of 1872 provided for five or more colleges or departments: a college of science, literature and the arts, which offers (for the degree of Bachelor of Arts) a four-years course, is entirely elective (except that a certain number of " long courses " must be selected) after the first year, and in which the only restriction is upon the range of subjects from which the student's choice may be made; a college of agriculture (including military tactics), which is now a " department," including a college and a school of agriculture, a short course for farmers, a dairy school, the Crookston school of agriculture, a main experiment station at St Anthony Park, between Minneapolis and St Paul, and sub-stations 1 m.
The village is the nearest station to Greylock, which can be easily ascended, and affords fine views of the Hoosac and Housatonic valleys, the Berkshire Hills and the Green Mountains; the mountain has been a state timber reservation since 1898.
Directly west of the town hall is the new Stadthaus, the chief police station of the town, in front of which is a bronze statue of the burgomaster Karl Friedrich Petersen (1809-1892), erected in 1897.
The through railway traffic of Hamburg is practically confined to that proceeding northwards - to Kiel and Jutland - and for the accommodation of such trains the central (terminus) station at Altona is the chief gathering point.
The Hamburg stations, connected with the other by the Verbindungs-Bahn (or metropolitan railway) crossing the Lombards-Brucke, are those of the Venloer (or Hanoverian, as it is often called) Bahnhof on the south-east, in close proximity to the harbour, into which converge the lines from Cologne and Bremen, Hanover and Frankfort-on-Main, and from Berlin, via Nelzen; the Klostertor-Bahnhof (on the metropolitan line) which temporarily superseded the old Berlin station, and the Lubeck station a little to the north-east, during the erection of the new central station, which occupies a site between the Klostertor-Bahnhof and the Lombards-Brucke.
Between this central station and Altona terminus runs the metropolitan railway, which has been raised several feet so as to bridge over the streets, and on which lie the important stations Dammtor and Sternschanze.
FORUM APPII, an ancient post station on the Via Appia, 43 m.
Only scanty relics of antiquity have been found here; a post station was placed here by Pius VI.
Hellevoetsluis is an important naval station, and possesses a naval arsenal, dry and wet docks, wharves and a naval college for engineers.
ENSCHEDE, a town in the province of Overysel, Holland, near the Prussian frontier, and a junction station 5 m.
Naval Station), the bar at the entrance of which was removed (1903) by the U.S. government.
of London (Liverpool Street station) by the Great Eastern railway.
west of Montrose, and has a station on the loop line of the Caledonian railway from Forfar to Bridge of Dun.
bank of the Nile, the railway station being on the opposite side of the river.
There is a torpedo and submarine boat station on the north side of the channel at the entrance to the lake, but the principal naval works are at Sidi Abdallah at the south-west corner of the lake and to m.
The northern part of the Sea of Japan, which washes the Usuri region, has, besides the smaller bays of Olga and Vladimir, the beautiful Gulf of Peter the Great, on which stands Vladivostok, the Russian naval station on the Pacific. Okhotsk and Ayan on the Sea of Okhotsk, Petropavlovsk on the east shore of Kamchatka, Nikolayevsk, and Vladivostok on the Sea of Japan, and Dui on Sakhalin are the only ports of Siberia.
At the polar meteorological station of Sagastyr, in the delta of the Lena (73° 23' N.), the following average temperatures have been observed: January - 34.3° F.
of Harwich, with a station between Parkeston Quay and Harwich town on the Great Eastern railway, 70 m.
During the Civil War General Goring quartered his troops at Totnes, and Fairfax also made it his temporary station.
Vivero Bay and the Ria del Barquero y Vares are of a similar character; while the harbour of Ferrol ranks among the best in Europe, and is the chief naval station on the northern coast of Spain.
WEI-HAI-WEI, a British naval and coaling station, on the N.E.
It was formerly a Chinese naval station strongly fortified, but was captured by the Japanese in February 1895, and occupied by their troops until May 1898, pending the payment of the indemnity.
Within this area Great Britain has exclusive jurisdiction, and is represented by a commissioner under the colonial office; and has, besides, the right to erect fortifications, station troops and take any other measures necessary for defensive purposes at any points on or near the coast in that part of the peninsula east of 121 0 40' E.
Huntington is served by three railways - the Wabash, the Erie (which has car shops and division headquarters here) and the Cincinnati, Bluffton & Chicago (which has machine shops here), and by the Fort Wayne & Wabash Valley Traction Company, whose car and repair shops and power station are in Huntington.
It was primarily a military station and transport post on the road to Peru, but after the discovery of the rich silver deposits near Chanarcillo by Juan Godoy in 1832 it became an important mining centre.
It has a good mining school and reduction works, and is the supply station for an extensive mining district.
It is an important station on the Great Northern railway, whose principal locomotive and carriage works are here, and it is also served by the North Eastern, Great Eastern, Great Central, Lancashire & Yorkshire, and Midland railways.
There was a Roman station here, and numerous remains of the Roman period have been found.
railway, now a part of the Leopoldina system, which connects with Rio de Janeiro and Nictheroy on the coast, and with the station of Entre Rios on the Central of Brazil railway.
In historical times it belonged to the Ozolian Locrians; but about 455 B.C., in spite of a partial resettlement with Locrians of Opus, it fell to the Athenians, who peopled it with Messenian refugees and made it their chief naval station in western Greece during the Peloponnesian war.
The town has a station on the railway, 68 m.
Felice sul Panaro, and a third to Budrio and Portomaggiore (a station on the line from Ferrara to Ravenna).
It is the terminal station of a branch of the London & North-Western railway coming southward from Shrewsbury, and is a station on the main line of the Great Western running to Fishguard; it is also the terminus of a branch-line of the Great Western running to Newcastle-Emlyn.
The station buildings lie on the left bank of the river, which is here spanned by a fine old stone bridge.
It is a station on the Eastern Bengal railway.
Dupont, curator of the Botanic station at Mahe, who visited Aldabra in 1906, says: "The specimens represented, besides being partly peculiar, mostly belong to the Mascarenes, Madagascar and Comoros species.
Pamplona has a station on the Ebro railway connecting Alsasua with Saragossa.
Yet on the death of his king and patron in 1777, when court intrigue forced him from his high station, he who had done so much for his country's institutions was reviled on all hands.
A marine station here was established by Sir John Murray, but has been discontinued.
To the south of the metropolis are Colinton (pop. 5499), on the Water of Leith, with several mansions that once belonged to famous men, such as Dreghorn Castle and Bonally Tower; and Currie (pop. 2513), which was a Roman station and near which are Curriehill Castle (held by the rebels against Queen Mary), the ruins of Lennox Tower, and Riccarton, the seat of the GibsonCraigs, one of the best-known Midlothian families.
The North British station is Waverley, to which the trains of the Great Northern, North Eastern and the Midland systems run from England.
The Caledonian station is Princes Street, where the through trains from the London & North-Western system of England arrive.
Tramways connect the different parts of the city with Leith, Newhaven, Portobello and Joppa; and the Suburban railway, starting from Waverley station, returns by way of Restalrig, Portobello, Duddingston, Morningside and Haymarket.
The town, a military station of some importance, lies on the river Gash (Mareb) in 15° 28' N., 36° 24' E., 260 m.
Aleppo is an important consular station for all European powers, the residence of the Greek and Armenian Patriarchs of Antioch, and of Jacobite and Maronite bishops, and a station of Roman Catholic and Protestant missions.
Second in importance to George Street is Pitt Street, which runs parallel to it from the Circular Quay to the railway station; Macquarie Street runs alongside the Domain and contains a number of public buildings, including the treasury, the office of public works, the houses of parliament and the mint.
The Domain embraces 138 acres, extending along one side of Woolloomooloo Bay and surrounding Farm Cove, in which the warships belonging to the Australian station are usually anchored; in this charming expanse of park land are the governor's residence and the National Art Gallery, which houses a splendid collection of pictures by modern artists, statuary, pottery and other objects of art.
to Riverside Station, forming a link in the scheme for direct communication between Natal and East London and Port Elizabeth.
With the support of the traders he founded a mission station on the hill overlooking the bay.
Pesto), an ancient Greek city in Lucania, near the sea, with a railway station 24 m.
from London by the London & North-Western railway (the station being 2 m.
The remains of Basingwerk Abbey (Maes glas, green field), partly Saxon and partly Early English, are near the station.
The fort was dismantled in 1860, and demolished in 1890 to provide room for the railway and the station.
Beyond the railway station stands the obelisk to the memory of Ewen Maclachlan (1775-1822), the Gaelic poet, who was born in the parish.
It is served by the coast division of the Southern Pacific railway, and is the railway station for Leland Stanford Jr. University, which is about 1 m.
north-east of Broughty Ferry, with a station on the North British railway, is noted for its golf links.
long from Witbank, a station on the Pretoria-Delagoa Bay line, to Brakpan on the Springs line.
On the following day the Boer attack on an armoured train at Kraaipan, a railway station in Cape Colony south of Mafeking and close to the western frontier of the Transvaal, witnessed the first hostile shot of a bloody war, destined to plunge South Africa into strife for two years and a half.
LLANWRTYD WELLS, an urban district of Breconshire, south Wales, with a station on the central Wales section of the London & North Western railway, 231 m.
Four miles lower down the Irfon valley, at the junction of the Cammarch and Irfon, and with a station on the London & North Western railway, is the village of Llangammarch, noted for its barium springs.
Its railway station, which is the chief terminus of the South Wales system of the Great Western railway, is at the hamlet of Goodwick across the bay, a mile distant to the south-west.
6 weight of the rafts passing the station of Schandau on the Saxon Bohemian frontier amounting in 1901 to 333,000 tons.
In 1753 he was made commander of the "Jamaica" sloop, and served in her on the North American station.
In 1756, while still on the North American station, he attained to post rank.
The correspondence of the two shows that they were far from being on cordial personal terms with one another, but Hood always discharged his duty punctually, and his capacity was so great, and so signally proved, that no question of removing him from the station ever arose.
from its station on the Ismid-Angora railway.
The plateau at its foot was the site of the English laager during the war of 1880-81, and is now occupied by the central railway station and workshops.
The word is derived from ribat, a fortified frontier station.
Containing the popular seaside resorts of Ramsgate, Broadstairs, Margate and Westgate, Thanet is served by the South-Eastern & Chatham railway, and Minster is a junction station of the lines to Ramsgate and Sandwich respectively.
The Pontypridd and Newport railway was constructed in 1887, and there is a joint station at Caerphilly for both railways.
eastwards there is a station on the Brecon and Merthyr railway at Bedwas.
The military skill of Gylippus enabled the Syracusan militia to meet the Athenian troops on equal terms, to wrest from them their fortified position on Plemmyrium, which Nicias had occupied as a naval station shortly after Gylippus's arrival, and thus to drive them to keep their ships on the low beach between their double walls, to take Labdalum, an Athenian fort on the northern edge of Epipolae, and make a third counter-work right along Epipolae in a westerly direction, to the north of the circular fort.
The medieval and modern town of Syracuse (with the exception of a new quarter which has sprung up since the construction of the railway between the station and the island) is confined to the island.
A large reservoir of the Greek period exists under the present railway station (Notizie degli scavi, 3904, 280).
It has a station on the Glasgow & South-Western line from Dumfries to Kirkcudbright.
St Paul's Station on the Holborn branch is also terminal in part.
The North London railway has a terminal station at Broad Street, City, and serves the parts of London implied by its name.
The Underground Electric Railways Company, which acquired a controlling influence over these concerns, undertook the construction of a great power station at Chelsea; while the Metropolitan Company, which had fallen into line with the District (not without dispute over the system of electrification to be adopted) erected a station at Neasden on the Aylesbury branch.
The surface tramway system of London cannot be complete, as, within an area roughly represented by the boroughs of Chelsea, Kensington and Fulham, the city of Westminster and a considerable district north thereof, and the city of London, the ' Charing Cross station was the scene of a remarkable catastrophe on the 5th of December 1905, when a large part of the roof collapsed, and the falling debris did very serious damage to the Avenue theatre, which stands close to the station at a lower level.
If we take from the Itinerary the last station before Londinium in all the routes we shall be able to obtain some idea of the position of the gate entered from each route by drawing a line on the map of London to the nearest point.
of the mission station of the same name in which Col.
Bishop Colenso visited him in 1857 and obtained a grant of land for a mission station, which was opened in 1860, by the Rev. R.
The artificial harbour was formed (1807-1832) between the mainland and the picturesque island of Ireland's Eye, and preceded Kingstown as the station for the mail-packets from Great Britain, but was found after its construction to be liable to silt, and is now chiefly used by fishing-boats and yachts.
Meshra-er-Rek, the chief station and trading centre of the first European visitors to the country, is on a backwater south of this lake.
from Bralitz, a station 44 m.
Its habits much resemble those of the rest of the group to which it belongs; and, like the leopard, when it happens to come within reach of an abundant and easy prey, as the sheep or calves of an outlying farming station, it kills far more than it can eat, either for the sake of the blood only or to gratify its propensity for destruction.
The town is on the Godavari river, connected by a tramway (5 m.) with Nasik Road railway station, 107 m.
Among the most recent improvements must be mentioned the Brausenwerther Platz, flanked by the theatre, the public baths, and the railway station and administrative offices.
With few exceptions tapeworms select the small intestine for their station, and in this situation execute active movements of extension and contraction.
This depends largely on the station adopted by the parasite.
In Upper Pannonia were Vindobona (Vienna), probably founded by Vespasian; Carnuntum (Petronell); Arrabona (Raab), a considerable military station; Brigetio; Savaria or Sabaria (Stein-am-Anger), founded by Claudius, a frequent residence of the later emperors, and capital of Pannonia prima; Poetovio (Pettau); Siscia, a place of great importance down to the end of the empire; Emona (Laibach), later assigned to Italy; Nauportus (Ober-Laibach).
of the modern railway station of Ascea, 25 m.
The following analyses of upper leaves made at the Connecticut state station, and recorded in Report No.
Towards the end of 545 the Gothic king took up his station at Tivoli and prepared to starve Rome into surrender, making at the same time elaborate preparations for checking the progress of Belisarius who was advancing to its relief.
Corwen is a favourite station for artists and anglers.
The township is served, at Alfred station, by the Erie railway.
The village, which is connected by stage with the station, is situated at the junction of two valleys and commands delightful views of mountain scenery.
Sirhan is continuous with the depression known as the Jauf, situated on the northern edge of the Nefud or Nafud, and the halfway station between Damascus and Hail; and it is possible that this depression continues eastward towards the Euphrates along a line a little north of the thirtieth parallel, where wells and pasturages are known to exist.
The word usage examples above have been gathered from various sources to reflect current and historial usage. They do not represent the opinions of YourDictionary.com.