Stag-beetle sentence example
- The oak in Europe is liable to injury from a great variety of insect enemies: the young wood is attacked by the larvae of the small stag-beetle and several other Coleoptera, and those of the wood-leopard moth, goat moth and other Lepidoptera feed upon it occasionally; the foliage is devoured by innumerable larvae; indeed, it has been stated that half the plant-eating insects of England prey more or less upon the oak, and in some seasons it is difficult to find a leaf perfectly free from their depredations.
- Sharp; in the stag-beetle larva a series of short tubercles on the hind-leg is drawn across the serrate edge of a plate on the haunch of the intermediate legs, while in the Passalid grub the modified tip of the hind-leg acts as a scraper, being so shortened that it is useless for locomotion, but highly specialized for producing sound.
- The lady-bird weighs 150 times less than the stag-beetle, and possesses 5 times more of surface, &c. It is the same with the birds.
- Colin would also like to hear from volunteers interested in helping survey stag beetle activity in their own patch.
- The stag beetle is listed on Annex II of the EC Habitats Directive.Advertisement
- The rare stag beetle is reliant upon standing deadwood, this tends to rot from the inside to the outside.
- A rotting log can become a world of insect life and a home for beetles, including the increasingly uncommon stag beetle.
- Thus, in comparing the insects with one another, we find that the gnat, which weighs 460 times less than the stag-beetle, has 14 times more of surface.