Stadtholders sentence example
- The beginning of the i 2th century was the age of the atabegs (regents or stadtholders).
- These dynasties were founded by emancipated mamelukes, who had held high office at court and in camp under powerful amirs, and who, on their death, first became stadtholders for their descendants, and then usurped the throne of their masters.
- The younger line became stadtholders of the other states after the extinction of the elder, and were the ancestors of the present royal family of the Netherlands.
- Though the stadtholders of the house of Orange-Nassau were of princely rank and intermarried with the royal families of Europe, they were not sovereign princes.
- It was restored in 1816 and contains a portrait gallery of the Frisian stadtholders.Advertisement
- The splendid tombs of the Frisian stadtholders buried here (Louis of Nassau, Anne of Orange, and others) were destroyed in the revolution 1795.
- The city held out obstinately against the pretensions of the stadtholders, and in 1650 opened the dykes in order to prevent William II.
- Several centuries later the stadtholders also lived here.
- Close by on the one side are the courts of justice, and on the other the first and second chambers of the states-general, containing some richly painted ceilings and the portraits of various stadtholders.