Slavers sentence example
- Before its annexation by Germany the lagoons were a favourite resort of slavers, and stations were established there by Portuguese, British, French and German traders.
- When driven from other parts of Guinea the slavers made this difficult and little known coast one of their last resorts, and many barracoons were built in the late years of the 18th century.
- An English fort was built on Bance Island in the Sierra Leone estuary towards the close of the 17th century, but was soon afterwards abandoned, though for a long period the estuary was the haunt of slavers and pirates.
- It was here that a party of Arab slavers, without warning or provocation, assembled one day when the market was busiest and commenced shooting the women, hundreds being killed or drowned in trying to escape.
- By the Arab slavers whom he opposed he was also greatly admired, and was by them styled "the very great doctor."Advertisement
- The slavers, accustomed to the smooth-bore musket, had thought themselves quite safe at such a distance.
- We had no commission to catch slavers or to do mischief further than resenting personal injuries.
- European slavers dispersed them across the Americas to lead lives of degradation and brutality, without thought for their personal lives.
- After the War of the Spanish Succession in 1713, British slavers dominated the infamous Atlantic slave trade.
- A group of Arab slavers were standing on a hill together.Advertisement
- After slavery was abolished in the USA (in 1865) the British and American navies worked out detailed plans to catch illegal slavers.