Sistine sentence example
- Sisto, which dates from 1499, and takes the place of the church founded in 874 by Angilberga (consort of the emperor Louis II.), lost its chief attraction when Raphael's Sistine.
- Thus, he said, Vatican City, not just the Sistine Chapel, is considered the site of the next conclave.
- The most important work for which he was responsible is the " Last Judgment " of Michelangelo in the Sistine Chapel.
- Michelangelo and Raphael, who had both, as we have seen, risen to greatness partly on Leonardo's shoulders, were fresh from the glory of their great achievements in the Sistine Chapel and the Stanze.
- For many, the quintessential image of a guardian angel actually comes in the form of a more cherubic image: Raphael's angels from the Sistine Madonna.Advertisement
- At the end is the famed Sistine Chapel with Michelangelo's gorgeous paintings adorning the ceiling.
- At the end is the famous Sistine Chapel with Michelangelo's paintings adorning the ceiling.
- He was crowned in the Sistine Chapel 3rd March 1878, and at once began a reform of the papal household on austere and economic lines which found little favour with the entourage of the former pope.
- Here he composed a large number of motets and sacred pieces, which, being brought under the notice of Pope Urban VIII., obtained for him an appointment in the choir of the Sistine Chapel at Rome.
- But the most celebrated composition of Allegri is the Miserere, still annually performed in the Sistine Chapel at Rome.Advertisement
- At the papal order there arose the Ponte Sisto, the hospital of San Spirito, Santa Maria del popolo, Santa Maria della pace, and finally the Sistine Chapel, for the decoration of which the most famous Tuscan and Umbrian artists were summoned to Rome.
- But a still more striking period of art is represented by the Vatican, with its antique collections, the Sistine and the Stanze.
- In Santa Maria Maggiore the pope erected the noble Sistine Chapel, in which he was laid to rest.
- A very pretty curly-headed boy with a look of the Christ in the Sistine Madonna was depicted playing at stick and ball.
- He established and richly endowed the first foundling hospital, built and repaired numerous churches, constructed the Sistine Chapel and the Sistine Bridge, improved church music and instituted the famous Sistine choir, commissioned paintings on the largest scale, pensioned men of learning, and, above all, immortalized himself as the second founder of the Vatican library.Advertisement