Sindarin sentence example
- The two primary types of Elvish are Sindarin and Quenya.
- Sindarin is the common language used by gray Elves and Quenya is the language of scholars also known as High Elven speech.
- Fellowship of the Word Smiths: This wide-ranging site offers a dictionary of reconstructed Sindarin words, and a similar dictionary for reconstructed Quenya words.
- Along with dictionary help, they provide Sindarin Elvish language tools including a summary of Sindarin grammar and Sindarin pronouns as well as courses for the two primary Elvish languages.
- Hisweloke: Provides a downloadable Sindarin dictionary that is still a work in progress.Advertisement
- There are different dialects or "modes" of the language such as Quenya, Sindarin or English.
- As mentioned above, vowels appear over the preceding consonant (or the following consonant in Sindarin mode).
- Although, overall Elvish was based on the Finnish language as well as Latin, Tolkien based the Sindarin mode upon the Welsh language.
- Elvish (including Quenya and Sindarin) The Quenya quote, "Elen sila lûmenn' omentielvo" means "A star shines on the hour of our meeting."