Simonides sentence example
- Iulis was the birthplace of the lyric poets Simonides and Bacchylides, the philosophers Prodicus and Ariston, and the physician Erasistratus; the excellence of its laws was so generally recognized that the title of Cean Laws passed into a proverb.
- "David was to be henceforth his Simonides, Pindar and Alcaeus, his Flaccus, Catullus and Severus."
- He is acquainted with the poems of the epic cycle, the Cypria, the Epigoni, &c. He quotes or otherwise shows familiarity with the writings of Hesiod, Olen, Musaeus, Bacis, Lysistratus, Archilochus of Paros, Alcaeus, Sappho, Solon, Aesop, Aristeas of Proconnesus, Simonides of Ceos, Phrynichus, Aeschylus and Pindar.
- Azzo di Correggio died in 1362, and Laelius, Simonides, Barbato, in the following year.
- He had a share in exposing the frauds of Constantine Simonides, who had asserted that the Codex Sinaiticus brought by Tischendorf from the Greek monastery of Mount Sinai was a modern forgery of which he was himself the author.Advertisement
- Simonides of Ceos was.
- He told Simonides he was only going to pay him half the fee and if he wanted the other half, he should collect it from Castor and Pollux.
- Later that evening when Simonides was at a banquet with Scopas, he got word that two young men were outside looking for him.
- While Simonides was outside, the roof of the house caved in and killed everyone.
- The implication was that Castor and Pollux, knowing of the imminent collapse of the roof, had come calling with the purpose of saving Simonides's life as their payment for the poem.Advertisement
- That's what interests me about this story (which may or may not be purely true): What Simonides did—recalling the names and locations of everyone at a large banquet—is described as entirely possible and an enviable, practical skill.