Side-walls sentence example
- The sieve-tubes of the secondary phloem usually have very oblique end-walls bearing a row of sieve-plates; plates also occur on the radial side-walls.
- A trench was first excavated to the proper depth, then the side walls and arched roof of brick were put in place, earth was filled in behind and over the arch, and the surface of the ground restored, either by paving where streets were followed, or by actually being built over with houses where the lines passed under private property.
- On a larger scale several pencils are used to make the connexions between carbon blocks which form the end walls of the furnace, while the side walls are of fire-brick laid upon one another without mortar.
- In it were carved out four chambers or reservoirs all connected and a porch consisting of three pillars between two antae in which the side walls ended.
- It revolves with the smallest possible clearance in a chamber of masonry, one of the side walls being perforated by a large round hole, through which the air from the mine is admitted to the centre of the fan.Advertisement
- In gardens of large size the northern or principal wall may be 14 ft., and the side walls 12 ft.
- The side walls are surmounted by short upright sashes which open outwards by machinery a, and the roof is provided with sliding upper sashes for top ventilation.
- Their chambers are rudely but strongly built, with dome-shaped roofs, formed by overlapping the successive courses of the upper part of the side walls.
- The first part of the alimentary canal consists of the pharynx or branchial sac, the side walls of which are perforated by upwards of sixty pairs of elongated slits, the gill-clefts.
- The back and side walls of the portico are covered with frescoes, from designs by Schinkel, representing the world's progress from chaos to organic and developed life.Advertisement
- Mr Wagner first conceived the idea of adding slightly raised side walls to the hexagonal outlines of the cells, by means of which the bees are supplied with the material for building out one-half or more of the complete cell walls or sides.
- The side walls are timber framed with four large panels per bay and curved diagonal braces at the ends.
- The walls were thickened to 3.5 foot and standard Bren gun embrasures were built into the 5 front and side walls.
- Problems such as the migration of solder paste up the side walls can create both poor filets and voids and blow holes.
- This speaker is designed to be hung on rear or side walls in pairs to create the ideal rear soundstage for modern multi-channel systems.Advertisement
- In cases like this, a cushioned mat without side walls or an orthopedic dog bed may be a more appropriate solution than a cot.
- The side walls of the cold frame are generally sloped so the lid sets on a slant, allowing a maximum amount of light to enter the cold frame.
- This large model with back and side walls makes it easy to move around and wheelchair accessible.