Shibboleth sentence example
- The Alexandrians, led by Cyril, stood for the doctrine of the perfect union of two complete natures in one person, and made Novi/cos the shibboleth of orthodoxy.
- The Strategic Defense Initiative, or Star Wars, became a shibboleth for Reagan, the believer in Armageddon.
- A willingness to call the Virgin Mary Theotokos is an important shibboleth for Christological orthodoxy.
- This may be the case with those for whom homophobia has become the shibboleth of orthodoxy.
- There is no single shibboleth used as a test.Advertisement
- It became - to quote Professor Kattenbusch - the "secular" designation of the adherents of the Reformation, the shibboleth of the "liberal" ecclesiastical and theological tendencies.
- Whether or no the so-called "fourth formula" (Hahn, § 156) is to be ascribed to a continuation of this synod or to a subsequent but distinct assembly of the same year, its aim is like that of the first three; while repudiating certain Arian formulas it avoids the Athanasian shibboleth "homoousios."