Shawnee sentence example
- Shawnee was first settled in 1895 and was chartered as a city in 1896.
- Before the coming of white settlers there was an Indian village called Shawnee on the site of the present borough.
- In 1 774 the governor of Virginia, Lord Dunmore, himself led a force over the mountains, and a body of militia under General Andrew Lewis dealt the Shawnee Indians under Cornstalk a crushing blow at Point Pleasant at the junction of the Kanawha and the Ohio rivers, but Indian attacks continued until after the War of Independence.
- Three Indian villages bore the name Chillicothe, each being in turn the chief town of the Chillicothe, one of the four tribal divisions of the Shawnee, in their retreat before the whites; the village near what is now Oldtown in Greene county was destro y ed by George Rogers Clark in 1780; that in Miami county, where Piqua is now, was destroyed by Clark in 1782; and the Indian village near the present Chillicothe was destroyed in 1787 by Kentuckians.
- With the encroachment of the white settlers upon their hunting-grounds the Creek Indians began to grow restless, and the great Shawnee chief Tecumseh, who visited them in 1811, fomented their discontent.Advertisement
- Shawnee is situated in a fine agricultural region, is a shipping-point for alfalfa, cotton and potatoes, is an important market for mules, and has large railway repair shops, and cotton-gins and cotton compresses; among its manufactures are cotton-seed oil, cotton goods, lumber, bricks and flour.
- In 1810 began the last great Indian war in Indiana, in which the confederated Indians were led by Tecumseh, the celebrated Shawnee chief; it terminated with their defeat at Tippecanoe (the present Battle Ground) by Governor Harrison on the 7th of November 1811.
- By 1808 the Indian title was extinguished to two-thirds of the state, though actual settlement did not extend more than a few miles westward from the Mississippi; in 1825, by a treaty with the Shawnee made at St Louis on the 7th of November, the title to the rest of the state was cleared, and a general removal of the Indians followed.
- The resultant legislature (at Pawnee, later at Shawnee Mission) adopted the laws of Missouri almost en bloc, made it a felony to utter a word against slavery, made extreme pro-slavery views a qualification for office, declared death the penalty for aiding a slave to escape, and in general repudiated liberty for its opponents., The radical free-state men thereupon began the importation of rifles.
- The principal cities in 1907 were Oklahoma City, Muskogee, Guthrie (the capital), Shawnee, Enid, Ardmore, McAlester and Chickasha.Advertisement
- Shawnee is served by the Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe, the Chicago, Rock Island & Pacific, and the Missouri, Kansas & Texas railways and by interurban electric lines.
- Another option for skiing Poconos is to visit Shawnee Mountain Ski Area.
- The Shawnee Mountain has an elevation of 1350 feet.
- Shawnee Mountain - Shawnee Mountain is the resort in the Poconos located closest to New York City.
- Future heartthrob William Bradley Pitt was born in Shawnee, Oklahoma, on December 18, 1963 to William and Jane Pitt.Advertisement
- During the mid twentieth century Shawnee Pottery produced unique teapots one after the other.
- Furthermore, a free-state " government " was set up, the " bogus " legislature at Shawnee being " repudiated."