Serjeant sentence example
- The office of marshal in the high court is represented in this court by a serjeant, who also bears a silver oar.
- what is usually called spiritualism) "is supported," says Serjeant Cox.
- The report, however, would be of greater value if the names of the medium and of the working members of the committee were given - we only know that of Serjeant Cox - and if they had written independent accounts of what they witnessed.
- At his suggestion the duke invited Gladstone to stand for Newark in the Tory interest against Mr Serjeant Wilde, afterwards Lord Chancellor Truro.
- In 1531 he had been made a serjeant-at-law and king's serjeant; and on the 10th of May 1532 he was knighted, and succeeded Sir Thomas More as lord keeper of the great seal, being appointed lord chancellor on the 26th of January 1533.Advertisement
- The old offence was not yet forgiven, and after a tedious delay, the office was given, in October 1 595, to Serjeant Thomas Fleming.
- His leading counsel was the celebrated Serjeant Glanville (1586-1661), who, perceiving in the acuteness and sagacity of his youthful client a peculiar fitness for the legal profession, succeeded, with much difficulty, in inducing him to renounce his military for a legal career, and on the 8th of November 1629 Hale became a member of the honourable society of Lincoln's Inn.
- Consistently with his desire to remain neutral, Hale took the engagement to the Commonwealth as he had done to the king, and in 1653, already serjeant, he became a judge in the court of common pleas.
- serjeant king's sergeant, Sir Richard was working for the Crown.