Sergeant-major sentence example
- So the Sergeant major gets a meat cleaver and chops his privates off!
- Another company, a lucky one for not all the companies had vodka, crowded round a pockmarked, broad-shouldered sergeant major who, tilting a keg, filled one after another the canteen lids held out to him.
- The soldiers lifted the canteen lids to their lips with reverential faces, emptied them, rolling the vodka in their mouths, and walked away from the sergeant major with brightened expressions, licking their lips and wiping them on the sleeves of their greatcoats.
- However far he has walked, whatever strange, unknown, and dangerous places he reaches, just as a sailor is always surrounded by the same decks, masts, and rigging of his ship, so the soldier always has around him the same comrades, the same ranks, the same sergeant major Ivan Mitrich, the same company dog Jack, and the same commanders.
- Rostov remembered Sventsyani, because on the first day of their arrival at that small town he changed his sergeant major and was unable to manage all the drunken men of his squadron who, unknown to him, had appropriated five barrels of old beer.Advertisement
- "What are you up to?" suddenly came the authoritative voice of a sergeant major who came upon the men who were hauling their burden.
- He's made my face all bloody, said he in a frightened whisper when the sergeant major had passed on.
- "And that son of a bitch Petrov has lagged behind after all, it seems," said one sergeant major.
- Don't talk nonsense! said a sergeant major.
- I've got no strength left, he added, with sudden resolution turning to the sergeant major.Advertisement
- "That'll do, that'll do!" replied the sergeant major quietly.
- "It must be from their food," said the sergeant major.
- The film revolves around the powerful character of the Regimental Sergeant Major played by Richard Attenborough.