Sending-up sentence example
- Others are biennials producing a number of leaves on a very short stem in the first year, and in the second sending up a flowering shoot at the expense of the nourishment stored in the thick tap-root during the previous season.
- The surrounding gardens are adorned with fountains, cascades, lakes and grottos, the principal fountain sending up a jet of water 180 ft.
- It has a fleshy rootstock, creeping beneath the surface of the soil and sending up luxuriant tufts of narrow, swordshaped leaves, from 4 to 8 ft.
- At dusk a message came from Di Robilant that he was sending up a brigade of the VI.
- After waiting some time for the erection of a spire at Philadelphia, by means of which he hoped to bring down the electricity of a thunderstorm, he conceived the idea of sending up a kite among thunder-clouds.Advertisement
- -- it falls abruptly over the edge of an almost vertical chasm with a roar as of continuous thunder sending up vast columns of vapour.
- After I had recovered from my first experience in the water, I thought it great fun to sit on a big rock in my bathing-suit and feel wave after wave dash against the rock, sending up a shower of spray which quite covered me.
- Spring Meadow Saffron (Bulbocodium) - B. vernum is a pretty liliaceous bulb from 4 to 6 inches high, and one of the earliest of flowers, sending up large rosy-purple flower-buds, distinct in color.