Self-sown sentence example
- In central Scotland, forests occur of Pinus sylvestris; and, in south-eastern England, extensive plantations and self-sown woods occur of the same species.
- Here they found the "self-sown" wheatfields and vines of Leif's Vinland, and here accordingly they settled and built their huts above the lake (1004-1005).
- As on his outward voyage, Leif was again driven far out of his course by contrary weather - this time to lands (in America) "of which he had previously had no knowledge," where "self-sown" wheat grew, and vines, and "m&sur" (maple?) wood.
- This expedition, too, found "grapes and self-sown wheat," though seemingly not in any great abundance.
- The "self-sown wheat" of the sagas he identifies as strand wheat, instead of Indian corn, or wild rice, and the mdsur trees as the canoe birch.Advertisement
- Iceland was not agricultural but pastoral, depending upon flocks and herds for subsistence, for, though rye and other grain would grow in favoured localities, the hay, self-sown, was the only regular crop. In some districts the fisheries and fowling Mode of were of importance, but nine-tenths of the population M i lved by their sheep and cattle.
- Only an annual, but easily maintains itself by self-sown seedlings.
- Some species in the mixture spread rapidly from self-sown seed, these can have their heads removed after flowering to prevent them seeding.
- In addition a self-sown bay tree in this area will be removed.
- Though short-lived, self-sown seedlings maintain themselves as pretty patches, coming year after year on old walls or any rocky surface.Advertisement