Self-fertilization sentence example
- The anthers are so situated that the pollen on escaping comes into contact with the stigma; in such flowers self-fertilization is compulsory and very effectual, as seeds in profusion are produced.
- In subsequent generations produced by self-fertilization of the hybrids it was found that the positive character was not present in all the individuals, but that a result was obtained showing that in the formation of the reproductive cells (ova and sperms) of the hybrid, half were endowed with the positive character and half with the negative.
- They differ structurally from the normal form in being capable of self-fertilization only, and in the shape and details of their spermatozoa.
- Only where there is no such struggle for existence does self-fertilization often prove satisfactory for many generations."
- Self-fertilization occurs when the pollen of a given flower affects the egg-cell of the same individual flower.Advertisement
- To prevent self-fertilization, or the access of insects, it is advisable to remove the stamens and even the corolla from the flower to be impregnated, as its own pollen or that of a flower of the same species is often found to be " prepotent."
- Some flowers, such as rye, have lost the power of effective self-fertilization, but in most cases both forms, selfand cross-fertilization, seem to be possible.
- This process of self-fertilization is the usual method, and no doubt keeps the variety true or unmixed; but the occasional presence of varieties in a wheat-field shows that cross-fertilization is sometimes secured.
- But even in plants with hermaphrodite flowers self-fertilization is often provided against by the structure of the parts or by the period of ripening of the organs.
- To allure and attract them to visit the flower the odoriferous secretions and gay colours are developed, and the position and complicated structure of the parts of the flower are adapted to the perfect performance of the process, It is comparatively rare in hermaphrodite flowers for self-fertilization to occur, and the various forms of dichogamy, dimorphism and trimorphism are fitted to prevent this.Advertisement