Schisms sentence example
- Amidst these schisms the defence of Italy collapsed.
- There had already been other schisms on such questions as the right way to swing a censer and the legality of self-immolation for the Lord's sake.
- He was interested in the theological disputes and schisms in Galatia, in the two languages spoken in Cilicia, &c. At Antioch the party remained some time.
- Internally, Catholicism in the United States has been free from any noteworthy schisms or heresies that might impede its development - its doctrinal history offers nothing of importance.
- There had been mutual excommunications before, but they had not resulted in permanent schisms. Now, however, the separation was final, and the ostensible cause of its finality was the introduction by the Latins of two words Filioque into the creed.'Advertisement
- Speaking broadly the development was from rigour to indulgence, and the three schisms referred to voiced the protests of the puritan minority.
- It turned on the successive schisms in the ruling minority.
- Soon afterward the church experienced a number of internal schisms.
- schisms of the churches in South Africa.
- It is impossible here to follow the schisms which split the seceding body within itself: the Erskines themselves were handed over to Satan; their very families adopted opposite factions: there were " Burghers " and " Anti-Burghers," " New Lights " and " Old Lights "; besides the sects which in the 19th century merged in United Presbyterians, and merged themselves later with the Free Church of the Disruption, itself the parent of a small protesting body, popularly styled " The Wee Frees " (see SCOTLAND, CHURCH or).Advertisement
- Jesuit missionaries after the Reformation stirred up schisms in some parts of the Eastern Church, and in Austria, Poland and elsewhere large numbers of Orthodox Christians submitted, either willingly or under compulsion to the see of Rome (see Roman Catholic Church, section Uniat Oriental Churches).
- As he joined me he started discussing the schisms of the churches in South Africa.
- Thus have we examined the successive schisms and feuds that sacred history shews to have arisen from the mission of our Lord.