Schappe sentence example
- Before the silk can be manipulated by machinery to any advantage, the gum coating must be removed, really dissolved and washed away - and according to the method used in achieving this operation the result is either a " schappe " or a " discharged yarn."
- Therefore schappe spinners place their degumming plant in the hills, near or on a stream of pure water.
- There are two distinct kinds of spun silk - one called "schappe " and the other " spun silk " or " discharged spun silk."
- " Discharged silk " must be entirely free from gum when finished, where " schappe " contains a percentage of gum - sometimes as much as 20%.
- The continental spinners have largely increased, but are developing into huge syndicates, all working on the schappe principle.Advertisement