Scale-insects sentence example
- Like the perfect insects, they are predaceous, feeding on plant-lice (Aphidae) and scale insects (Coccidae).
- Besides the aphids, other insects, such as scale insects (Coccidae), caterpillars of blue butterflies (Lycaenidae), and numerous beetles, furnish the ants with nutrient secretions.
- By far the most destructive insects in warm climates belong to the Hemiptera, especially to the Coccidae or scale insects.
- Other scale insects of note are the cosmopolitan mussel scale (Mytilaspis pomorum) and the Australian Icerya purchasi.
- They feed entirely by suction, and the majority of the species pierce plant tissues and suck sap. The leaves of plants are for the most part the objects of attack, but many aphids and scale-insects pierce stems, and some go underground and feed on roots.Advertisement
- Homoptera This sub-order includes the cicads, lantern-flies, frog-hoppers, aphids and scale-insects.
- The two families to which special attention has been paid are the Aphidae or plant-lice (" green fly ") and the Coccidae or scale-insects.
- Many scale-insects are among the most serious of pests, but various species have been utilized by man for the production of wax (lac) and red dye (cochineal).
- They are remarkable for their variety, and are due to small scale-insects of the peculiar sub-family Brachyscelinae.
- Their larvae resemble those of the lacewings, attacking scale-insects and sucking their juices.Advertisement
- They can be important predators of insect pests, such as aphids, scale insects and bark beetle larvae.
- Includes the cicads, aphides and scale-insects (see Hemiptera).