Sap-wood sentence example
- Wood thus altered is known as heart-wood, or duramen, as distinguished from the young sap-wood, or alburnum, which, forming a cylinder next the cambium, remains alive and carries on the active functions of the xylem, particularly the conduction of water.
- The sap-wood is made up of the outer layers or rings, and these are softer than the heart and generally of more open grain.
- If the tree is too young the proportion of sap-wood is large, and the heart-wood is not so hard as that of a tree of mature age.
- "Dry rot," which usually attacks the sap-wood, generally starts in a warm damp unventilated place, and is caused by the growth of fungi, some of which are visible to the naked eye, some microscopic. The spores from the fungi on the decayed wood float in the air and alight on any adjacent timber, infecting this also if the conditions be favourable.
- The sap-wood is more perishable,, but it is useful for fences, casks and a variety of other purposes;.Advertisement
- He has used only the heartwood of the oak trunk for this sculpture, the sap wood having been cut away.
- The sap-wood is lighter and much more perishable, but is of value for many purposes of rural economy.