Santiago de cuba sentence example
santiago de cuba
- Because of the isolation of the eastern part of the island, the dangers from pirates, and the important considerations which had caused Santiago de Cuba (q.v.) to be the first capital of the island, Cuba was divided in 1607 into two departments, and a governor, subordinate in military matters to the captain-general at Havana, was appointed to rule the territory east of Puerto Principe.
- The other tobacco-producing provinces in order of importance are Havana, Santa Clara and Santiago de Cuba.
- In the same year the residence of the governor of the island was moved from Santiago de Cuba to Havana.
- No attempt was made, during the decade which followed the Spanish-American War, to replace the squadrons destroyed at Manila and Santiago de Cuba.
- Before it could be promulgated, the tidings came of a separatist rising in the old haunts of Creole disaffection near Santiago de Cuba.Advertisement
- Admiral Cerveras squadron was destroyed outside the Bay of Santiago de Cuba by the American fleet under Admirals Sampson and Schley.
- It was in the colonial port city of Santiago de Cuba where in 1862 he began production of his light and aged rums.