Samhain sentence example
- I used tripwire for several years, and since have used Samhain and Osiris.
- This festival, celebrated each year by children and adults in the United States, is based on an ancient Celtic festival known as Samhain.
- The Celtic priests were also known as the Druids, and they made Samhain a big event by lighting large bonfires.
- In the Celtic Tradition, the year begins at Samhain, this is the most powerful night of the year to perform divination.
- Her symbol was an apple, so it's possible that the Halloween tradition of bobbing for apples came from her association with Samhain.Advertisement
- This Church-sanctioned festival, designed to honor the dead, was celebrated in a similar way as Samhain.
- The origin of Halloween begins with the Celtic celebration of Samhain.
- Samhain is the celebration of the end of summer, which first occurred late in the fall in Ireland when the weather turned colder.
- The purpose of the celebration of Samhain was to honor the harvest and mark the beginning of the winter, also known as the "time with little sun."
- The Samhain celebration included fortune telling, the lighting of bonfires and the tossing of animal bones and items from the harvest onto these fires.Advertisement
- When the Romans ruled over the Celts, they merged Samhain with two other festivals: Feralia and a celebration for the goddess Pomona.
- The Druids also dressed up in costumes that were made from animal heads and skins.When they were finished with the Samhain celebrations, the Celts re-lit the fires in their homes from the flames of those sacred bonfires.
- The Romans eventually conquered the territory where the Celts lived, and the tradition of observing Samhain was eventually combined with two Roman celebrations.
- He now became specially interested in the establishment of an Irish literary theatre; and he founded and conducted an occasional periodical (appearing fitfully at irregular intervals), called first Beltain and later Samhain, to expound its aims and preach his own views, the first number appearing in May 1899.
- In 1902 he published his own first original play in prose, Cathleen ni Houlihan, which was printed in Samhain in October that year.Advertisement