Saint-just sentence example
- The time had come, however, when Saint Just and he were to turn their attention not only to les enrages, but to les indulgents- the powerful faction of the Dantonists.
- He entered into correspondence with Robespierre, who, flattered by his worship, admitted him to his friendship. Thus supported, Saint-Just became deputy of the department of Aisne to the National Convention, where he made his first speech on the condemnation of Louis XVI.
- What were then called reports were rather appeals to the passions; in Saint-Just's hands they furnished the occasion for a display of fanatical daring, of gloomy eloquence, and of undoubted genius; and - with the shadow of Robespierre behind him - they served their turn.
- This was agreed to, and Saint-Just was despatched to Strassburg, in company with another deputy, to superintend the military operations.
- Saint-Just's remedy was direct and terrible: he followed his experience in Paris, "organized the Terror," and soon the heads of all suspects sent to Paris were falling under the guillotine.Advertisement
- The conspiracy was defeated, and the armies of the Rhine and Moselle having been inspirited by success - Saint-Just himself taking a fearless part in the actual fighting - and having effected a junction, the frontier was delivered and Germany invaded.
- On his return Saint-Just was made president of the Convention.
- Meanwhile affairs in Paris looked gloomier than ever, and Robespierre recalled Saint-Just to the capital.
- Saint-Just maintained his proud self-possession to the last.
- The euvres completes de Saint-Just have been edited with notes by C. Vellay (Paris, 1908).Advertisement
- In 1793 Carnot and Saint Just were sent to find roturier generals who could be successful; Carnot discovered Jourdan, and Saint Just discovered Hoche and Pichegru.
- The former friend of Saint Just now offered his services to the Thermidorians, and after receiving from the Convention the title of "Sauveur de la Patrie," subdued the sans-culottes of Paris, when they rose in insurrection against the Convention on 12 Germinal (April 1).
- He flattered in turn Saint Just and the Terrorists, the Thermidorians and the Directors, and played always for his own hand - a strange egoist who rose to fame as the leader of an idealist and sentimental crusade.
- Arrested with Robespierre and Saint-Just, his colleagues in the triumvirate of the Terror, and subjected to indescribable sufferings and insults, he was taken to the scaffold on the same cart with Robespierre on the 28th of July 1794 (loth Thermidor).
- Despite this, Saint just remains pragmatic, and retains a surprising respect for those who create the works he defiles.Advertisement
- Camille Desmoulins, in jest and mockery, said of Saint-Just - the youth with the beautiful countenance and the long fair locks- "He carries his head like a Holy Sacrament."
- The same ferocious inflexibility animated Saint-Just with reference to the external policy of France.