Saigon sentence example
- Trade is carried on chiefly through Saigon in Cochin-China, Kampot, the only port of Cambodia, being accessible solely to coasting vessels.
- He is assisted by the conseil colonial numbering sixteen members, six of whom are French citizens elected by the French, six natives elected by the natives, the other four being members of the chamber of commerce of Saigon and the conseil prive.
- Besides the important harbours already referred to, the French fleet has naval bases at Oran in Algeria, Bizerta in Tunisia, Saigon in Cochin China and Hongaj in Tongking, DiegoSuarez in Madagascar, Dakar in Senegal, Fort de France in Martinique, Nouma in New Caledonia.
- Steamers ply regularly from Saigon through Mytho to Pnompenh, and launches proceed from this place, the capital of Cambodia, to the Preapatano rapids, and beyond this a considerable portion of the distance to Luang Prabang, the journey being finished in native boats.
- The inland telegraph is also widely distributed, and foreign lines communicate with Saigon, the Straits Settlements and Moulmein.Advertisement
- The French' then despatched gunboats from Saigon to enforce their demands at Bangkok, and these made their way up to the capital in, spite of an attempt on the part of the Siamese naval forces to bar their way.
- Better means of internal transport and increased production in the island have greatly reduced the import of rice, which came mostly from Saigon.
- Trade is small and is carried on by Chinese settlers, chiefly overland with Bangkok, but to a small extent also by water with Saigon.
- The story is set in Saigon during the 1950s, the last days of French colonialism in Vietnam.
- Day 2: Mekong Delta - Can Tho Leave Saigon for a scenic drive to Mekong Delta.Advertisement
- Overall, one should definitely not feel any hesitation to buy a ticket for Saigon at the moment.
- They ask how we can speak of free elections when the Saigon press is censored and controlled by the military junta.
- The chief industrial establishments are those for the decortication of rice at Saigon and Cholon; they are in the hands of the Chinese, by whom most of the trade in the colony is conducted.
- The ports of Saigon and Mytho are accessible to the largest vessels, and are connected by a railway (see Indo-China, French).
- The colony is divided into four circumscriptions (Saigon, My-Tho, Vinh-Long, Bassac), at the head of each of which is an inspector of native affairs.Advertisement
- Saigon has two chambers of the court of appeal of French Indo-China 'and a tribunal of commerce.
- The capital is Saigon (q.v.); of the other towns, Cholon (q.v.), My-Tho, Vinh-Long and Chau-Doc are of importance.