Sackcloth sentence example
- "girdle," "sackcloth"; and M.
- He wore sackcloth, made his bed in ashes, and fasted or used only the very plainest fare.
- It is used chiefly in the manufacture of coarse sackcloth, cordage and hammocks, and is exported in large quantities.
- The sun becomes black as sackcloth made of hair and the moon becomes like blood.
- The " atheistic " Republic did not for one moment think of putting on sackcloth, or even of giving the Church a single proof of esteem and sympathy.Advertisement
- Some of them imitated the Hebrew prophets in the performance of symbolic acts of denunciation, foretelling or warning, going barefoot, or in sackcloth or undress, and, in a few cases, for brief periods, altogether naked; even women in some cases distinguished themselves by extravagance of conduct.
- The custom, which is ultimately based on the penance of "sackcloth and ashes" spoken of by the prophets of the Old Testament, has been dropped in those of the reformed Churches which still observe the fast; but it is retained in the Roman Catholic Church, the day being known as dies cinerum (day of ashes) or dies cineris et cilicii (day of ash and sackcloth).
- She obtained an interview with him, and to test her resolution he told her to dress in penitential sackcloth and beg alms for the poor in the streets of Assisi.
- Before reaching Montserrato, Ignatius purchased some sackcloth for a garment and hempen shoes, which, with a staff and gourd, formed the usual pilgrim's dress.
- gird yourselves with sackcloth and haircloth, and wail for your children, and lament for them; for your destruction is at hand.Advertisement
- This ceremony is derived from the custom of public penance in the early Church, when the sinner to be reconciled had to appear in the congregation clad in sackcloth and covered with ashes (cf.
- Fabric of Your Mind Does the fabric of your mind, Feel as rough as sackcloth, Or as smooth as silk?
- Men cut off their beards, people shave their heads; they make cuts on their hands and wear sackcloth.
- sackcloth made of hair and the moon becomes like blood.
- Is it to bow down his head like a rush, and to spread sackcloth and ashes under him?Advertisement
- Will they don sackcloth and ashes, and promise to treat cop and State sources more skeptically in future?
- Like that of the bridge crew, he too was adorned in black sackcloth.