Rood-screen sentence example
- The church is cruciform and the altar stands beneath the eastern lantern arch, a fine rood screen separating off the choir, which was devoted to monastic use, while the nave was kept for the parishioners, in consequence of a dispute between the vicar and the monastery in 1499.
- Previous to the dissolution, a rood-screen bearing a gigantic rood, the object of many pilgrimages, stood to the west of the tower.
- The choir extended westwards for three bays beyond the tower and terminated in a stone rood-screen.
- The cruciform church of St Saviour is of the 14th and, 5th centuries, and contains a graceful rood-screen of the 16th century, an ancient stone pulpit and interesting monuments.
- The church of St Gery (18th century) contains, among other works of art, a marble rood-screen of Renaissance workmanship. The Place d'Armes, a large square in the centre of the town, is bordered on the north by a handsome hotel de ville built in 1634 and rebuilt in the 19th century.Advertisement
- Band of carved vine leaf cornice from the medieval rood screen set along the sill of the window.
- Behind the rood screen dado is Suffolk's most complete set of return stalls.
- It features a richly carved oak rood screen and a minstrel's gallery above.
- The 15th century rood screen is painted with figures.
- The interior, with its oak rood screen dividing the nave from the choir, is in perfect taste.Advertisement
- Parker's drawing of the rood screen reveals its sophistication.
- The rood screen is also 14th century and a colorful tapestry hangs on the west wall.
- A crucifix, often accompanied by figures of St John and the Virgin Mary, was usually placed in churches above the screen, hence known as " rood screen "Ã‚° C A FIG.
- Parker 's drawing of the rood screen reveals its sophistication.