Rood-screen sentence example
- The church is cruciform and the altar stands beneath the eastern lantern arch, a fine rood screen separating off the choir, which was devoted to monastic use, while the nave was kept for the parishioners, in consequence of a dispute between the vicar and the monastery in 1499.
- above the nave and is separated from it by a marble rood-screen, on the architrave of which stand fourteen figures, the signed work of Jacobello and Pietro Paolo delle Masegne, 1394.
- ANTE-CHOIR, the term given to the space enclosed in a church between the outer gate or railing of the rood screen and the door of the screen; sometimes there is only one rail, gate or door, but in Westminster Abbey it is equal in depth to one bay of the nave.
- Previous to the dissolution, a rood-screen bearing a gigantic rood, the object of many pilgrimages, stood to the west of the tower.
- The choir extended westwards for three bays beyond the tower and terminated in a stone rood-screen.Advertisement
- The cruciform church of St Saviour is of the 14th and, 5th centuries, and contains a graceful rood-screen of the 16th century, an ancient stone pulpit and interesting monuments.
- The church of St Gery (18th century) contains, among other works of art, a marble rood-screen of Renaissance workmanship. The Place d'Armes, a large square in the centre of the town, is bordered on the north by a handsome hotel de ville built in 1634 and rebuilt in the 19th century.
- Band of carved vine leaf cornice from the medieval rood screen set along the sill of the window.
- Behind the rood screen dado is Suffolk's most complete set of return stalls.
- It features a richly carved oak rood screen and a minstrel's gallery above.Advertisement
- The 15th century rood screen is painted with figures.
- The interior, with its oak rood screen dividing the nave from the choir, is in perfect taste.
- Parker's drawing of the rood screen reveals its sophistication.
- The rood screen is also 14th century and a colorful tapestry hangs on the west wall.
- vine leaf cornice from the medieval rood screen set along the sill of the window.Advertisement
- A crucifix, often accompanied by figures of St John and the Virgin Mary, was usually placed in churches above the screen, hence known as " rood screen "Ã‚° C A FIG.
- aisle is Perpendicular, and has also a very fine rood screen.
- Parker 's drawing of the rood screen reveals its sophistication.