Everything west of the river was blank.
It was on these byways that Dean opted to travel, rolling along the river with the down of cottonwoods filling the air like a winter snowstorm, past the occasional farm house, fields, and ever-present vista of mountains wrapping around him.
He continued to trudge forward, leaving the river and crowds behind.
Everything west of the river is fine.
I have seen our river, when, the landscape being covered with snow, both water and ice were almost as green as grass.
The chasm appeared to Dean to be a hundred feet or more to the river below.
The couple strolled down Seventh Street to the bridge that crossed the Uncompahgre River as it spilled its way down from the mountains.
Let's go up river a way and you can hold my rope.
The size of the river made Lana tick off one of her alternatives.
While she despised the man, her feelings still lacked a motive to sever his rope in cold blood and watch him plummet down to the rocks and churning river below.
Brady could've lost it in the river, but she should still pick up some electromagnetic fluctuation, if he was anywhere except the bottom of the river.
There's no river feeding into this lake.
I crossed the mighty Missouri River, leaving agrarian Nebraska in my rear view window.
To anyone who looks at the field of Borodino without thinking of how the battle was actually fought, this position, protected by the river Kolocha, presents itself as obvious for an army whose object was to prevent an enemy from advancing along the Smolensk road to Moscow.
We'll have to risk flying past the river if we want to find her.
She sat on the river bank across from a series of wide, large steps leading up a hill to the park where the Arch stood, framed against a black sky.
It climbed gently along the escarpment above the river and was devoid of traffic.
The officer pointed with his hand to the smoke visible on the left beyond the river, and the same stern and serious expression that Pierre had noticed on many of the faces he had met came into his face.
"Smuggled her via the subs across the river," Mike said.
Now, mostly bound to its banks by ice, the river looked much less menacing as it wound its way downward.
She struggled to pull herself out of the cabin, against the flow of cold river water.
All the cities along the Mississippi River had been marked as contaminated to some extent.
Her anger at him slid away as she huddled against a large river rock, alone.
He did not notice the sound of the bullets whistling from every side, or the projectiles that flew over him, did not see the enemy on the other side of the river, and for a long time did not notice the killed and wounded, though many fell near him.
Moscow seen from the Poklonny Hill lay spaciously spread out with her river, her gardens, and her churches, and she seemed to be living her usual life, her cupolas glittering like stars in the sunlight.
We formed our own networks along the river and joined forces with the Twelfth Army.
We used to camp over on the Gunnison River, and fish some, all four of us.
I have said that Walden has no visible inlet nor outlet, but it is on the one hand distantly and indirectly related to Flint's Pond, which is more elevated, by a chain of small ponds coming from that quarter, and on the other directly and manifestly to Concord River, which is lower, by a similar chain of ponds through which in some other geological period it may have flowed, and by a little digging, which God forbid, it can be made to flow thither again.
With one last look at the river, she turned away and climbed the bank clumsily before heading towards the road leading from the bridge to her home.
The submarine bumped against the dock on the other side of the river, and the soldier turned it off.
We sailed on the Hudson River and wandered about on its green banks, of which Bryant loved to sing.
He was a peasant from Pokrovsk, near the river Gzhat.
From the northwest angle of Nova Scotia, viz., that angle which is formed by a line drawn due north from the source of St. Croix River to the highlands; along the said highlands which divide those rivers that empty themselves into the river St. Lawrence ...
If they are to cross the river, hang two.
Dean's mind churned the details of the recent happenings, trying to make sense of Shipton's orchestrated plunge to the river, and the strange reactions of those still sleeping beneath Bird Song's roof, and elsewhere.
The helo left them at Texarkana, the southernmost point on their map, before missile fire from the other side of the river erupted.
"Did they pull the helo out of the river?" he asked.
But his cry came an instant too late as Shipton plummeted past him, his ice ax swinging in a rip across Dean's calf as he plummeted backward into space, and down to the rocks and churning river below.
Could be an underground spring or river or something causing them to move.
In between, his sleep-movies starred Annie, huddled and pregnant as she walked the penstock trail in tears, and Shipton plunging down to the rocks and river below, amid scores of viewers clapping and cheering his bloody demise.
If Shipton was far enough over the edge, close enough to the bottom and the river to survive the fall, how could he see you hacking away at his rope?
The jets came from the west, beyond the river, a realization that didn't register until the ground shook under the impact of the first laser missile strike dropped.
The river was several hundred meters away.
"Run for the river!" shouted the Wizard, and Jim quickly freed himself from his unseen tormenters by a few vicious kicks and then obeyed.
I had the previous winter made a small quantity of lime by burning the shells of the Unio fluviatilis, which our river affords, for the sake of the experiment; so that I knew where my materials came from.
Below the village the road crossed the river by a bridge and, winding down and up, rose higher and higher to the village of Valuevo visible about four miles away, where Napoleon was then stationed.
When only a child he liked to stand by the river and see the ships sailing past.
"You must take to the river," was the reply.
He walked up and down the river bank, leading his horse behind him; but he kept his eyes turned always toward the dim, dark spot which he knew was the old North Church.
Some forty uhlans were drowned in the river, though boats were sent to their assistance.
There was a lot about some guy from here who turned up missing fishing over on the Gunnison River, but they just stopped mentioning it after a few weeks.
Soon a green river winked at them playfully between rocks and bushes, and roared impressively as they entered the clearing at the mill site.
In fact, all the cities along the river could.
It was a beautiful land lying on both sides of the wonderful river Nile.
They reached a river that had overflowed its banks and which they had to cross by ferry.
As there was not a single town or large village in the vicinity of the camp, the immense number of generals and courtiers accompanying the army were living in the best houses of the villages on both sides of the river, over a radius of six miles.
On the twenty-eighth of October Kutuzov with his army crossed to the left bank of the Danube and took up a position for the first time with the river between himself and the main body of the French.
Yes, he writes that the French were beaten at... at... what river is it?
The Uncompahgre Gorge, a deep and narrow cut in the rock of the San Juan Mountains, hugged in its confines, a river of the same name.
Once beyond access to the river below, the seldom-used path presented an unbroken cover of fresh white, now blanketed in more than a foot of fresh powder, as it followed the large pipe toward the reservoir.
He hit a comfortable pace and stayed there as he peddled past the cemetery and the open meadows where a herd of elk grazed near the river to his left, standing at attention near the edge of the tall cottonwoods that lined the bank.
Our favourite walk was to Keller's Landing, an old tumbledown lumber-wharf on the Tennessee River, used during the Civil War to land soldiers.
On October 23 the Russian troops were crossing the river Enns.
A cool breeze swept over the river, and Lana shivered until they neared one of the spits, the one with the least amount of people there.
The man who piloted her across the river stayed in the sub, and she and Jack climbed out.
"I think we'd better stick to the river, after this," said Dorothy.
"That is true," agreed the Wizard, "and as the river seems to be flowing in the direction of the Pyramid Mountain it will be the easiest way for us to travel."
Once this became known, the question was submitted for arbitration to the king of the Netherlands, who ruled the St. John River to be the border.
On the left there was water--a great river--and on the right a porch.
He knew the river lay far below and they'd negotiated less than half the distance.
Three stories tall, the old mill stood picturesquely at the edge of the river, an old metal one-lane bridge at one side beckoned travelers to visit the lush pastures on the other side.
Randolph was the smallest of them, so she'd picked this town to cross the River rather than the larger ones south along the Mississippi.
We're building a bigger battery to store the energy we generate from the river, but … Kelli shrugged.
Alarms were sounding, and lights flooded the river and area around it.
So energetically do we pursue this aim that after crossing an unfordable river we burn the bridges to separate ourselves from our enemy, who at the moment is not Bonaparte but Buxhowden.
The colonel of the Polish uhlans, a handsome old man, flushed and, fumbling in his speech from excitement, asked the aide-de-camp whether he would be permitted to swim the river with his uhlans instead of seeking a ford.
The pair tramped further to the next closest point where they could see his line of descent to the river far below.
Armfeldt says our army is cut in half, and Paulucci says we have got the French army between two fires; Michaud says that the worthlessness of the Drissa camp lies in having the river behind it, and Pfuel says that is what constitutes its strength; Toll proposes one plan, Armfeldt another, and they are all good and all bad, and the advantages of any suggestions can be seen only at the moment of trial.
In October I went a-graping to the river meadows, and loaded myself with clusters more precious for their beauty and fragrance than for food.
Like the water, the Walden ice, seen near at hand, has a green tint, but at a distance is beautifully blue, and you can easily tell it from the white ice of the river, or the merely greenish ice of some ponds, a quarter of a mile off.
It was no longer, as before, a dark, unseen river flowing through the gloom, but a dark sea swelling and gradually subsiding after a storm.
He hardly crosses the river to our side before we recross to the other.
Napoleon looked up and down the river, dismounted, and sat down on a log that lay on the bank.
They tried to make their way forward to the opposite bank and, though there was a ford one third of a mile away, were proud that they were swimming and drowning in this river under the eyes of the man who sat on the log and was not even looking at what they were doing.
Our right flank is over there"--he pointed sharply to the right, far away in the broken ground--"That's where the Moskva River is, and we have thrown up three redoubts there, very strong ones.
I should like to start from the Moskva River and ride round the whole position.
Lanskoy informed the commander-in-chief that the army supplies were for the most part stored along the Oka in the Tula and Ryazan provinces, and that if they retreated on Nizhni the army would be separated from its supplies by the broad river Oka, which cannot be crossed early in winter.
Yes, I told you--the whole quarter beyond the river, and so it is.
At the Berezina they again became disorganized, many were drowned and many surrendered, but those who got across the river fled farther.
She turned, peering again down the river, as if the message she'd delivered was as perfunctory as a call to supper.
Teacher and I went to ride on Tennessee River, in a boat.
When the warmer days come, they who dwell near the river hear the ice crack at night with a startling whoop as loud as artillery, as if its icy fetters were rent from end to end, and within a few days see it rapidly going out.
And fairer still were the faraway blue mountains beyond the river, the nunnery, the mysterious gorges, and the pine forests veiled in the mist of their summits...
In the darkness, it seemed as though a gloomy unseen river was flowing always in one direction, humming with whispers and talk and the sound of hoofs and wheels.
In the valley he saw before him something like a river, but when he reached it he found it was a road.
They say the other day Matthew Ivanych Platov drove them into the river Marina and drowned some eighteen thousand in one day.
The road paralleled the river to their right and far below, which was most often hidden by the pine trees that blanketed the slope.
The pair drove down Seventh Street, crossed over the Uncompahgre River and followed the dirt road to the small cluster of mobile homes.
But it was August and that river isn't exactly world-class white water.
At this spot, a bridge spanning the Uncompahgre River bisected the two main climbing sections that extended almost a mile.
She was standing at the rail, peering down river, dressed in only a sweater, clutching her arms to her body against the snow and chilling cold.
Several days of unseasonable melt had boiled the river to a noisy torrent of cascading water.
You're lucky if you fell out of the sky into the river and lived to tell it.
"I need to cross the river," she told Kelli.
As soon as he trotted out upon the surface of the river he found himself safe from pursuit, and Zeb was already running across the water toward Dorothy.
On the river, however, the adventurers seemed to be perfectly safe.
Where the pools are bright and deep, Where the gray trout lies asleep, Up the river and o'er the lea, That's the way for Billy and me.
"This is slow work, Robert," said the older of the boys as they were poling up the river to a new fishing place.
When we got to Jersey City at six o'clock Friday evening we were obliged to cross the Harlem River in a ferry-boat.
A thaw had set in, it was muddy and cold, the ice on the river broke, and the roads became impassable.
All beyond the river, and Zubova, and in the Kremlin....
Sometimes through the monotonous waves of men, like a fleck of white foam on the waves of the Enns, an officer, in a cloak and with a type of face different from that of the men, squeezed his way along; sometimes like a chip of wood whirling in the river, an hussar on foot, an orderly, or a townsman was carried through the waves of infantry; and sometimes like a log floating down the river, an officers' or company's baggage wagon, piled high, leather covered, and hemmed in on all sides, moved across the bridge.
It's a long way down to the river.
This river was more thoroughly examined by Mr A.
The Kabul (ancient Kophes), which is the most important (although not the largest) river in Afghanistan, rises at the foot of the Unai pass leading over the Sanglakh range, an offshoot of the Hindu Kush towards Bamian and Afghan Turkestan.
From its source to the city of Kabul the course of the river is only 45 m., and this part of it is often exhausted in summer for purposes of irrigation.
Two or three miles below Jalalabad it is joined by the Kunar, the river of Chitral.
The western boundary was settled by Anglo-German agreements of 1890 and 1899; it leaves the coast west of the town of Lome and proceeds in a zigzag line to where the Deine river joins the Volta; thence follows the Volta to its junction with the Daka and then the Daka up to the point where 9° N.
Before that time there was no basin or wet-dock, though the river Medway to some extent answered the same purpose, but a portion of the adjoining salt-marshes was then taken in, and three basins have been constructed, communicating with each other by means of large locks, so that ships can pass from the bend of the Medway at Gillingham to that at Upnor.
"Pray tell me anything new that has happened to a man anywhere on this globe"--and he reads it over his coffee and rolls, that a man has had his eyes gouged out this morning on the Wachito River; never dreaming the while that he lives in the dark unfathomed mammoth cave of this world, and has but the rudiment of an eye himself.
Also, as we are masters of Ulm, we cannot be deprived of the advantage of commanding both sides of the Danube, so that should the enemy not cross the Lech, we can cross the Danube, throw ourselves on his line of communications, recross the river lower down, and frustrate his intention should he try to direct his whole force against our faithful ally.
As the merchant was walking along, he came to a river that flowed gently between green and shady banks.
But then again, there are so many refugees trickling into the cities along the river, it's hard to say she's not here.
The hotel was so near the river that I could feel it rushing past by putting my hand on the window.
There were four units in the building that faced the waterway and walking paths that wound along the banks of the river.
When they approached the area known as The Drinking Cup, the road narrowed and barely clung to the rock wall, a breath-gulping overhang hundreds of feet above the river.
Why didn't you bring the body over to the river?
Rhyn felt Hell's and Sasha's power roll over him like a boulder in a river.
The sounds of heated discussion made her look toward the river.
The next depicted the planet, the next a woman holding a knife, then the fountain, a plant, a river.
Donald Ryland led the troupe down the path on the west side of the river.
He fell in the river.
However, unlike the highway, the snow here had not yet melted and Dean was forced to return to the main road at the first opportunity to cross back over the river.
It happened in a swimming pool, not some river.
My guess is the missing piece of line fell into the river.
And, I might need a few assassinations called in to keep things from blowing up on your side of the river.
Lana typed a message to Mr. Tim, telling him she was leaving and heading to the Peace Command Center, which was the first center beyond the Mississippi River.
When she could, she pushed herself up and gazed out over the dark river.
You came from the river?
After ten days of walking, she needed a rest, now that she'd made it to the river.
Why don't you just cross the river?
The brunette waved in return and led her through the small town to a boardwalk lining the wide, slow-moving Mississippi River.
Kelli waited by the door, gazing out at the river.
So you haven't tried to cross the river?
She feared staying here too long and wondered again how she'd cross the river.
They left the town and joined those in the field beside the river.
She could see nothing in her micro beyond the River.
She can't cross the river.
I'm giving her the benefit of the doubt that she made it all the way to the river.
It runs parallel to the river.
We are all that's holding the world together along the river.
All Mike had to do was get her across the river.
Seems there are a lot of them along the river.
I understand you want to cross the river.
I'd rather see you alive and here than blown to pieces trying to get across the river.
When it stopped, she twisted to see a crater at the end of the street near the river.
You still want to get across the river?
She guessed they were paralleling the river.
The door cracked open, revealing a similar platform to the one that had been on the other side of the river.
She crossed the river.
"I have a feeling these folks would like to cross the river," Mike said and motioned to Brady.
And the damned comms are down east of the river.
A figure appeared from the forest between her and the river.
The highway to Pagosa Springs followed the San Juan River up the pass to the top of the Rocky Mountains while side streams, arush with melting snow, ice cold to the touch, cascaded down from the roof of the sky, thousands of feet above.
Cushing himself swam to the swamps on the river bank, and after wading among them for hours reached a Federal picket boat.
It pervades almost the whole of Europe, and in Asia reaches the river Ob.
NEW GLASGOW, a manufacturing and mining town of Pictou county, Nova Scotia, Canada, on the East river, near its entrance into Pictou Harbour, and the Intercolonial railway, 104 m.
In 1811 he founded at the mouth of the Columbia river a settlement named after him Astoria, which was intended to serve as the central depot; but two years later the settlement was seized and occupied by the English.
It lies in the open valley of the Trent, at a short distance from the river, and near the important Trent Junction on the Midland railway system.
It is formed by the junction of the Bafing or Black river and the Bakhoy or White river, and its chief affluent is the Faleme.
North of the Senegal the Sahara reaches the coast, and for over moo miles no river enters the ocean.
After receiving the Baule, the Bakhoy, now a river of fine proportions, flows W.
From the south it is joined by the Faleme, a considerable river which rises in hilly country in about I I° 50' N.
A short distance below the Felu Falls is the town of Kayes on the left bank of the river.
Below Bakel the river passes through flatter country and presents a series of great reaches.
At this point the right branch of the river is only 500 ft.
from the open Atlantic. A marigot, called the Ndiadier or Maringuins, leaves the river 40 m.
of the mouth of the river.
In the upper part of the river the reservoirs are partially protected by curtains of verdure from the effects of the evaporation which makes itself so severely felt on the treeless seaboard.
It was not until 1637 that the explorations of the upper river began, Jannequin, Sieur de Rochfort, in that year ascending the river some 200 m.
He was originally the god of the small river of the same name near Celaenae, an old Phrygian town.
The battle of the Atbara, fought near Nakheila, a place on the north bank of the river about 30 m.
Shortly afterwards, in 616, he was defeated and slain in battle on the river Idle by Edwin, who was assisted by the East Anglian king Raedwald.
from its source, it joins the Danube, which river down to that point it equals in length and far exceeds in volume of water.
Spain, in the province of Leon; situated near the right bank of the river Tuerto, and at the junction of the Salamanca-Corunna and Leon-Astorga railways.
On the 26th of August 1278 the rival armies met on the banks of the river March near Diirnkrut, and Ottakar was defeated and killed.
It is picturesquely placed on the river Kent, and is irregularly built.
The town proper occupies an elevated promontory, washed on the north by the Charente and on the south and west by the Anguienne, a small tributary of that river.
The German populations of these lands seem in Roman times to have been scanty, and Roman subjects from the modern Alsace and Lorraine had drifted across the river eastwards.
It is situated on the east side of the Kushk river near its junction with the Murghab at Pul-i-Khishti.
On the Tongking side this trade follows the Red River route as far as Manhao, which is distant from Mengtsze about 40 m., though the navigation of the river is difficult.
Natural gas, piped from the Kansas fields, is used for light and power, and electricity for commercial lighting and power is derived from plants on Spring River, near Vark, Kansas, and on Shoal creek.
along both banks of the river, the mills and factories occupying the valley by the stream, the villas and better-class houses the high-lying ground on either side.
It is bounded on the north-west by Ohio, from which it is separated by the Ohio river, on the north by Pennsylvania and Maryland, the Potomac river dividing it from the latter state; on the east and south-east by Pennsylvania, Maryland and Virginia, the boundary lines in the first two cases being meridians, in the last case a very irregular line following the crest of mountain ridges in places; and on the south-west by Virginia and Kentucky, the Big Sandy river separating it from the latter state.
Along the Ohio river, these hills rise to an elevation of 800 to 1,000 ft.
The entire plateau area is drained by the Ohio river and its tributaries.
The plateau portion of West Virginia is largely covered by hardwood forests, but along the Ohio river and its principal tributaries the valuable timber has been removed and considerable areas have been wholly cleared for farming and pasture lands.
Manufacturing is largely localized in the northwestern part of the state along the Ohio river.
The Baltimore & Ohio railway leads in trackage: it enters the state with several lines at its northern end; its main line crosses this portion of the state from east to west, striking the Ohio at Parkersburg, and one of its lines (Ohio River railway) extends nearly the length of the state from Wheeling in the north through Parkersburg to Kenova in the south.
Natural facilities for transportation, afforded by the Ohio river and its branches, the Monongahela, at the northern end of the state, and the Little Kanawha and the Great Kanawha, are of special value for the shipment of lumber and coal.
A small river, the Tiretaine, borders the town on the north.
It lies in a hilly well-wooded district above the valley of the small river Wye, a tributary of the Thames.
The cottage is situated on the Spey river amidst scenery of surpassing loveliness.
AGUILAR, or Aguilar De La Frontera, a town of southern Spain, in the province of Cordova; near the small river Cabra, and on the Cordova - Malaga railway.
CHARLOTTESVILLE, a city and the county-seat of Albemarle county, Virginia, U.S.A., picturesquely situated on the Rivanna river, 96 m.
In the north, however, the ranges which separate the river valleys are apparently the remains of the table-land through which deep valleys have been eroded.
The first industry was that of mining, gold having been discovered in the river valleys on the southern slopes of the plateau, and diamonds on the head-waters of the Paraguay, about Diamantino and in two or three other districts.
The capital of the state is Cuyaba., and the chief commercial town is Corumbá at the head of navigation for the larger river boats, and 1986 m.
In 1752 its capital was situated on the right bank of the Guapore river and was named Villa Bella da Santissima Trindade de Matto Grosso, but in 1820 the seat of government was removed to Cuyaba and Villa Bella has fallen into decay.
coast of the island and the left bank of San Enrique river, about 18 m.
above the sea, but lying in a basin, skirts both banks of the river Semois which is crossed by two bridges.
RUHR, a river of Germany, an important right-bank tributary of the lower Rhine.
NORFOLK, a city and port of entry of Norfolk county, Virginia, U.S.A., on the northern side of the Elizabeth river (an arm of the Chesapeake Bay) and at the mouth of its eastern branch, and on the Albemarle and Chesapeake and the Dismal Swamp canals, about 90 m.
Stavanger commands a considerable tourist traffic. It is the starting-point of a favourite tour, embracing the fine valley of the Sand River, the great Lake Suldal and the Bratlandsdal.
It lies opposite Stockton-on-Tees, with which it is connected by a bridge, on the river Tees.
at its upper end, where it takes the shape of a crescent, one arm of which runs towards Glen Orchy, the other to the point where the river Awe leaves the lake.
The river Awe, issuing from the north-western horn of the loch, affords excellent trout and salmon fishing.
Pop. of urban district (1901) 5479ï¿½ It has a pleasant undulating site near the headwaters of the river Wey.
Williamstown, the principal village, is a pleasant residential centre on the Green river; it is surrounded by beautiful scenery and its streets are shaded by some fine old trees.
The Nerbudda river formed the boundary between the two empires.
ALIWAL NORTH, a town of South Africa, on the south bank of the Orange River, 4300 ft.
The river, here the boundary between the Cape province and Orange Free State, is crossed by a stone bridge 860 ft.
Crossing the Orange River at this spot in September 1848, Sir Harry noted that it was "a beautiful site for a town," and in the May following the town was founded.
The city extends for several miles along both sides of the river, and is in a good farming district, with which it is connected by stone roads.
These two groups are divided by the deep valley of the Tirso, the only real river in Sardinia, which has a course of 94 m.
Granite and Archean schists form nearly the whole of the eastern hills from the Strait of Bonifacio southwards to the Flumendosa river, culminating in Monti del Gennargentu.
Or again, a group of them may occupy a fertile plain, a river valley or a tableland,3 or they may stand close to the seashore.
It is served by the New York Central & Hudson River, and the Lehigh Valley railways, and by the Cayuga & Seneca Canal.
Asheville is situated at the junction of three branches of the Southern railway, on a high terrace on the east bank of the French Broad river, at the mouth of the Swannanoa, about 2300 ft.
by the river Ravi, on the S.E.
by the river Beas, on the N.E.
of the Delaware river.
Tipperary, Ireland, finely situated in a rich though hilly country near the river Nenagh, 962 m.
It consists of, first, a strip of mainland along the Bay of Bengal, extending from the An pass, across the main range, to the Ma-i River, and, secondly, the large islands of Ramree and Cheduba, with many others to the south, lying off the coast of Sandoway.
Kyaukse town is situated on the Zawgyi River and on the Rangoon-Mandalay railway line, and is well laid out in regular streets, covering an area of about a square mile.
CUMANA, a city and port of Venezuela, capital of the state of Bermudez, situated on the Manzanares river about i m.
by the river Thames, E.
in length, stretching along the river side, are the buildings erected in the time of Charles II.
MEMEL, or Niemen, a river of Russia and Prussia, rising in the middle of the Russian government of Minsk at an altitude of 580 ft.
There are capacious docks on the river, which is crossed by a wrought-iron bridge, 1000 ft.
VOLTURNO (anc. Volturnus, from volvere, to roll), a river of central Italy, which rises in the neighbourhood of Alfedena in the central Apennines of Samnium, runs S.
The Via Domitiana from Sinuessa to Puteoli crossed the river at this point, and some remains of the bridge are visible.
The river was navigable as far as Capua.
It is picturesquely situated in the hilly district of the upper valley of the river Aire, the course of which is followed by the Leeds and Liverpool canal.
OSTIA, an ancient town and harbour of Latium, Italy, at the mouth of the river Tiber on its left bank.
The difficulties of the harbour were increased by the continued silting up, produced by the enormous amount of solid material brought down by the river.
..: the ships anchor at considerable risk in the roads, but the love of gain prevails: for the large number of lighters which receive the cargoes and reload them renders the time short before they can enter the river, and having lightened a part of their cargoes they sail in and ascend to Rome."
wide leads northwest to the river.
The medieval Torre Boacciana marks approximately the mouth of the river in Roman times.
ANSONIA, a city of New Haven county, Connecticut, U.S.A., coextensive with the township of the same name, on the Naugatuck river, immediately N.
SUECA, a town of eastern Spain, in the province of Valencia, near the left bank of the river Jucar, and on the Silla-Cullera railway.
For the first time the Volga became a Russian river.
of Huddersfield by the Lancashire & Yorkshire railway, on the river Calder.
After the junction of the two branches the river pursues a winding course, generally south-east, for about Boo m.
Ormsby, in 1852, also reported a river, the Asas Amir, as coming down from the Sinjar hills and joining the Tigris near Kal-'at Shergat, about 35° 30' N.; but this seems now to be a dry bed.
On the eastern side of the river, on the other hand, there are several important tributaries descending from the Persian mountains: the Khabur, a little north of 37° N., navigable for rafts; the Great Zab, at 36° N., just below Nimrud, the ancient Calah; the Little Zab, about 35° 15' N.; the 'Adhem at 34° N.
south of Mosul, at which point navigation is blocked by two ancient dams, erected, apparently, to control the river for the Assyrian city of Calah, the ruins of which are called Nimrud by the natives after these dams, which they conceive to be the work of that mythical hero.
Two lines of steamers, an English and a Turkish, furnish an inadequate service between Basra and Bagdad, but there is no steam navigation on the river above the latter city.
This part of the river's course, the ancient Assyria, is also a rich agricultural region.
From a little above the confluence of the Great Zab downward, the banks of the river are absolutely uninhabited, and the river flows through a desert until Tekrit is reached.
Beginning shortly below Tekrit there are indications of considerable canalization, both for the purpose of irrigating country remote from the river, and also of shortening the course of the river for navigation.
Here the palm groves begin also, and from this point to a little beyond Bagdad the shores of the river are well cultivated.
The mud brought down by it, calculated at 7150 lb an hour at Bagdad, is not deposited in marshes to form alluvium, as in the case of the Euphrates, but although in flood time the river becomes at places an inland sea, rendering navigation extremely difficult and uncertain, the bulk of the mud is deposited in banks, shoals and islands in the bed of the river, and is finally carried out into the Persian Gulf.
Below the Shatt-el-Hai the country on both sides of the river is practically a swamp, except where the palm groves have formed land.
Just as in 335 he had crossed the Danube, so he now made one raid across the frontier river, the Jaxartes (Sir Dania), to teach the fear of his name to the outlying peoples of the steppe (summer 328).
Alexander reached the Hydaspes just as the rains broke, when the river was already swollen.
Alexander left the conquered portion of India east of the Indus to be governed under Porus, Omphis of Taxila, and Abisares, the country west of the Indus under Macedonian governors, and set out to explore the great river The g ?
The neighbouring country is pleasant enough, particularly along the river, but the town itself is purely industrial, and contains no pre-eminent buildings.
There are pleasant recreation grounds on the Derbyshire side of the river.
166 a verse from the oracle was used as an amulet and was inscribed over the doors of houses as a protection, and an oracle was sent, at Marcus Aurelius' request, by Alexander to the Roman army on the Danube during the war with the Marcomanni, declaring that victory would follow on the throwing of two lions alive into the river.
The exiles dwelt at Tell-abib (" Hill of the flood "), one of the mounds or ruins made by the great floods that devastated the country,1 near the " river " Chebar (Kebar), probably a large canal not far south of the city of Babylon.
LENA, a river of Siberia, rising in the Baikal Mountains, on the W.
The total length of the river is estimated at 2860 m.
on reaching the Mokra Planina, and then follows the course of the Tara river.
On the S., Albanian territory was curtailed owing to the acquisition of the Arta district by Greece (May 1881), the river Arta now forming the frontier.
The river Shkumb separates the northern from the central district, the Viossa the central from the southern.
Central Albania differs from the northern and southern regions in the more undulating and less rugged character of its surface; it contains considerable lowland tracts, such as the wide and fertile plain of Musseki, traversed by the river Simen.
of the Orinoco and Apure, with the Yuruari territory on the E., the Caroni river forming the boundary, and the Amazonas territory and Brazil on the S.
They are drained and in large part enclosed by the North (or Belle Fourche) and South forks of the Cheyenne river (at whose junction a fur-trading post was established about 1830); and are surrounded by semi-arid, alkaline plains lying 3000 to 3500 ft.
The Assiniboine river enters the Red river 45 m.
The Winnipeg, which flows from the territory lying south-east of Lake Winnipeg, is a noble river some 200 m.
At its falls from Lake of the Woods is one of the greatest and most easily utilized water-powers in the world, and from falls lower down the river electric power for the city of Winnipeg is obtained.
The Red river is at intervals subject to freshets.
The loose soil on the banks of the river is every year carried away in great masses, and the channel has so widened as to render the recurrence of an overflow unlikely.
It is a mighty river, rising in the Rocky Mountains, and crossing eighteen degrees of longitude.
Steamers run from Grand Rapids, through Lake Winnipeg, up Red river to the city of Winnipeg, important locks having been constructed on the river at St Andrews.
The river banks, however, are fringed with trees, and in the more undulating lands the timber belts vary from a few hundreds of yards to 5 or 10 m.
The region of the Red River and Assiniboine valleys was opened up by the fur traders, who came by the waterways from Lake Superior, and afterwards by the water communication with Hudson Bay.
While these early traders used the canoe and the York boat,' yet the steam-boat played an important part in the early history of the region from 1868 till 1885, when access from the United States was gained by steamers down the Red River.
The first connexion with the United States was by two railways coming down the Red River valley.
TECUCI (Tecuciu), the capital of the Tecuci department of Rumania, picturesquely situated among wooded hills, on the right bank of the river Berlad, and at the junction of railways from Bacau, Bcrlad and Galatz.
It stands in a level plain on the left bank of the river Ouse, by which communication is provided with the Humber.
The river is crossed by two bridges, and its banks are bordered by picturesque old houses.
Denver is an important railway centre, being served by nine railways, of which the chief are the Atchison, ' Topeka & Santa Fe; the Chicago, Burlington & Quincy; the Chicago, Rock Island & Pacific; the Denver & Rio Grande; the Union Pacific; and the Denver, North-Western & Pacific, Denver lies on the South Platte river, at an altitude exactly m.
1710) was another of the New England missionaries along the Delaware river and bay.
Ministers and people with few exceptions - the most notable being the Scotch Highlanders who had settled in the valley of the Mohawk in New York and on Cape Fear river in North Carolina - sided with the patriot or Whig party: John Witherspoon was the only clergyman in the Continental Congress of 1776, and was otherwise a prominent leader; John Murray of the Presbytery of the Eastward was an eloquent leader in New England; and in the South the Scotch-Irish were the backbone of the American partisan forces, two of whose leaders, Daniel Morgan and Andrew Pickens, were Presbyterian elders.
TROY, a city and the county-seat of Rensselaer county, New York, U.S.A., at the head of tidewater on the eastern bank of the Hudson river, opposite the mouth of the Mohawk, about 6 m.
and reaching back a mile or so from the river to highlands which rise to a height of 400 ft., with Mt Ida (240 ft.
Altro Park, on an island a short distance down the river, is a pleasure resort in summer.
It lies on either side of the formerly natural, now artificial outlet of the river Waveney to the North Sea, while to the west the river forms Oulton Broad and Lothing Lake.
The bridge by which the Via Aemilia crossed the river Parma, from which it probably takes its name, is still preserved, but has been much altered.
The Correggio family never managed to keep possession of it for long, and in 1346 they sold it to the Visconti (who constructed a citadel, La Rocchetta, in 1356, of which some remains exist on the east bank of the river, while the later ate du Pont may be seen on the west bank), and from them it passed to the Sforza.
He makes the sunshine; the wind is his breath; river valleys are hollowed out at his command.
At the foot of the hill flows the river See, which at high tide is navigable from the sea.
Etsch, anc. Athesis), a considerable river in North Italy.
It is a very rapid river, and subject to sudden swellings and overflowings, which cause great damage to the surrounding country.
The Adige has a course of about 220 m., and, after the Po, is the most important river in Italy.
587 the river broke its banks, and the main stream took its present course, but new streams opened repeatedly to the south, until now the Adige and the Po form conjointly one delta.
Hayes in 1878, forms the boundary between Argentina and Paraguay from the Paraguay river north-west to the Bolivian frontier.
The river flowing into the valley caused a great, muddy morass.
Another river of this class is the Carcaranal, about 300 m.
region there are many small streams, flowing into the La Plata estuary and the Atlantic; most of these are unknown by name outside the republic. The largest and only important river is the Salado del Sud, which rises in the north-west corner of the province of Buenos Aires and flows south-east for a distance of 360 m.
The best-known among them are Puerto Deseado (Port Desire) at the mouth of the Deseado river (1253 m.), Santa Cruz, at the mouth of the Santa Cruz river (1481 m.), and Ushuaia, on Beagle Channel, Tierra del Fuego.
North of Buenos Aires, on the Parana river, is the port of Rosario, the outlet for a rich agricultural district, ranking next to the federal capital in importance.
Other river ports, of less importance, are Concordia on the Uruguay river, San Nicolas and Campana on the Parana river, Santa Fe on the Salado, a few miles from the Parana, the city of Parana on the Parana river, and Gualeguay on the Gualeguay river.
The steamships under the national flag are almost wholly engaged in the traffic between Buenos Aires and Montevideo, the river traffic, and port services.
At the time when further armaments were suspended, the effective strength of the Argentine navy consisted of 3 ironclads, 6 first-class armoured cruisers, 2 monitors (old), 4 second-class cruisers, 2 torpedo cruisers, 3 destroyers, 3 high-sea torpedo boats, 14 river torpedo boats, 1 training ship, 5 transports, and various auxiliary vessels.
There is also a dockyard and torpedo arsenal at La Plata, an artillery depot at Zarate, above Buenos Aires, and naval depots on the island of Martin Garcia and at Tigre, on the Lujan river.
Magellan, as soon as he had satisfied himself that there was no passage to the west, left the river without landing.
The first attempt to penetrate by way of the river Plate and its affluents inland, with a view to effecting settlements in the interior, was made in 1526 by Sebastian Cabot.
Arrived in the river Plate in 1527, rumours reached Cabot of mineral wealth and a rich and civilized empire in the far interior, and he resolved to abandon surveying for exploration.
He built a fort a short distance up the river Uruguay, and despatched one of his lieutenants, Juan Alvarez Ramon, with a separate party upon an expedition up stream.
Cabot, with a large following, entered the Parana and established a settlement just above the mouth of the river Carcaranal, to which he gave the name of San Espiritu, among the Timbu Indians, with whom he formed friendly relations.
He continued the ascent of the Parana as far as the rapids of Apipe, and finding his course barred in this direction, he afterwards explored the river Paraguay, which he mounted as far as the mouth of the affluent called by the Indians Lepeti, now the river Bermejo.
The arrival of these first-fruits of the mineral wealth of the southern continent gained for the estuary of the Parana the name which it has since borne, that of Rio de la Plata, the silver river.
As Cabot was descending the stream to his settlement of San Espiritu, he encountered an expedition which had been despatched from Spain for the express purpose of exploring the river discovered by Solis, under the command of Diego Garcia.
for means to open up communications with Peru by way of the river Bermejo.
In January 1535 he entered the river Plate, where he followed the northern shore to the island of San Gabriel, and then crossing over he landed by a little stream, still called Riachuelo.
Finding their comrades did not return, Irala and his companions determined to descend the river, and on their downward journey opposite the mouth of the river Pilcomayo, finding a suitable site for colonizing, they founded (1536) what proved to be the first permanent Spanish settlement in the interior of South America, the future city of Asuncion (15th August 1536).
This able leader, eager to reach Asuncion as quickly as possible, sent on his ships to the river Plate, but himself with a small following marched overland from Santa Catherina on the coast of Brazil to join Irala.
Forty years were now to elapse before any further efforts were made by the Spaniards to colonize any part of the territory of the river Plate and lower Parana.
Garay, when on his way to Santa Fe, was unfortunately murdered by a party of Indians, Minuas (Mimas), three years later, while incautiously sleeping on the river bank near the ruins of San Espiritu.
Thus at the opening of the 17th century, after many adventurous efforts, and the expenditure of many lives and much treasure, the Spaniards found themselves securely established on the river Plate, and had planted a number of centres of trade and colonization in the interior.
To prevent internal trade with Peru a custom-house was set up at Cordoba to levy a duty of 50% on everything in transit to and from the river Plate.
The Portuguese were even worse offenders, for in 1680 they made a settlement on the north of the river Plate, right opposite to Buenos Aires, named Colonia, which with one or two short intervals, remained.
Pedro de Zeballos, the first viceroy, took with him from Spain a large military force with which he finally expelled the Portuguese from the banks of the river Plate.
The combined forces of Buenos Aires and Chile defeated the Spaniards at Chacabuco in 1817, and at Maipu in 1818; and from Chile the victorious general Jose de San Martin led his troops into Peru, where on the 9th of July 1821, he made a triumphal entry into Lima, which had been the chief stronghold of the Spanish power, having from the time of its foundation by Pizarro been the seat of government of a viceroyalty which at one time extended to the river Plate.
Feverish attempts were made to remedy the lack of warlike stores, but difficulty was experienced on account of the fleet blockading the entrance to the river.
North of that river the coast is low-lying and bordered by sand-lunes, to which succeed on the Strait of Dover the cliffs in the neighborhood of the port of Boulogne and the marshes and sand-dunes of Flanders, with the ports of Calais and Dunkirk, the latter the principal French port on the NOrth Sea.
To the maritime ports mentIoned above must be added the river pcsrts of Bayonne (on the Adour), Bordeaux (on the Garonne), Nantes (on the Loire), Rouen (on the Seine).
The small independent river, the Var, drains that portion of the Alps which fringes the Mediterranean.
The canal and river system attains its greatest utility in the north, northeast and north-centre of the country; traffic is thickest along the Seine below Paris; along the rivers and small canals of the rich departments of Nord and Pas-de-Calais and along the Oise and the canal of St Quentin whereby they communicate with Paris; along the canal from the Marne to the Rhine and the succession of waterways which unite it with the Oise; along the Canal de lEst (departments of Meuse and Ardennes); and along the waterways uniting Paris with the Sane at Chalon (Seine, Canal du Loing, Canal de Briare, Lateral canal of the Loire and Canal du Centre) and along the Sane between Chalon and Lyons.
Rashki), a river which rises south of Erzerum, in the Bingeul-dagh, and flows east through the province of Erzerum, across the Pasin plateau, and then through Russian Armenia, passing between Mount Ararat and Erivan, and forming the Russo-Persian frontier.
Her original home was on the river Numicius near Lavinium, where there was a spring called after her, supposed to possess healing qualities (whence the old Roman derivation from juvare, to help).
The head of a white goat obtained in 1900 from the mountains at the mouth of Copper river, opposite Kyak Island, has been described as a species apart.
The Guaira river, a branch of the Tuy, traverses the plain from west to east, and flows past the city on the south.
The principal water supply is derived from the Macarao river, 15 m.
By means of the Stecknitz canal, the Elbe, the principal river, is connected with the Trave.
of Shiraz, not far from where the small river Pulwar flows into the Kur (Kyrus).
Some trade is carried on by means of the river, and the town is the centre of a salmon fishery district.
DORDOGNE, a river of central and south-western France, rising at a height of 5640 ft.
Descending rapidly from its source, sometimes over cascades, the river soon enters deep gorges through which it flows as far as Beaulieu (department of Correze) where it debouches into a wide and fertile valley and is shortly after joined by the Cere.
A few miles above this point the river is spanned by the magnificent bridges of Cubzac-lesPonts, which carry a road and railway.
of its course, the river carries considerable navigation.
EU, a town of north-western France, in the department of Seine-Inferieure, on the river Bresle, 64 m.
On the west the Darling Range faces the Indian Ocean, and extends from Point D'Entrecasteaux to the Murchison river.
The Brisbane river, falling into Moreton Bay, is important chiefly from the fact that the city of Brisbane is situated on its banks.
The Snowy river has the greater part of its course in New South Wales, but its mouth and the last 120 m.
The Victoria river is navigable for large vessels for a distance of about 43 m.
The South Alligator river, flowing into Van Diemen's Gulf, is also a fine stream, navigable for over 30 m.
by large vessels; the East Alligator river, falling into the same gulf, has been navigated for 40 m.
Besides those mentioned, there are a number of smaller rivers discharging on the north coast, and on the west shore of the Gulf of Carpentaria the Roper river discharges itself into Limmen Bight.
Taking the Lachlan as one type of Australian river, we find it takes its rise amongst the precipitous and almost unexplored valleys of the Great Dividing Range.
The river carries its sediment westward.
from the Dividing Range, where the river ceases to act as a denuding agent, and the area of deposition begins, at a level of 250 ft.
From the sources of its various tributaries to the town of Bourke, the river may be described as draining a watershed.
in a direct line, the river gives rather than receives water from the country it flows through.
The annual rainfall and the area of the catchment afford no measure whatever as to the size of a river in the interior of Australia.
The discharge of the Darling river at Bourke does not amount to more than 10% of the rainfall over the country which it drains.
It was this remarkable fact which first led to the idea that, as the rainfall could not be accounted for either by evaporation or by the river discharge, much of the 90% unaccounted for must sink into the ground, and in part be absorbed by some underlying bed-rock.
the Gulf of Carpentaria to the Murray river.
The south-western angle of the continent, bounded by a line drawn diagonally from Jurien river to Cape Riche, has an average of from 30 to 40 in.
A very fine freshwater fish is the Murray cod, which sometimes weighs Too lb; and the golden perch, found in the same river, has rare beauty of colour.
A considerable number of men are engaged in the various states on alluvial fields, in hydraulic sluicing, and dredging is now adopted for the winning of gold in river deposits.
It is situated beyond the river Darling, and close to the boundary between New South Wales and South Australia.
In northern Queensland copper is found throughout the Cloncurry district, in the upper basin of the Star river, and the Herberton district.
Very rich lodes of the metal have been found in the Northampton, Murchison and Champion Bay districts, and also in the country to the south of these districts on the Irwin river.
In New South Wales, in the form of cinnabar, it has been discovered on the Cudgegong river, near Rylstone, and it also occurs at Bingara, Solferino, Yulgilbar and Cooma.
Coal of a very fair description was discovered in the basin of the Irwin river, in Western Australia, as far back as the year 1846.
It has been ascertained from recent explorations that the area of carboniferous formation in that state extends from the Irwin northwards to the Gascoyne river, about 300 m., and probably all the way to the Kimberley district.
The most important discovery of coal in the state, so far, is that made in the bed of the Collie river, near Bunbury, to the south of Perth.
The first of these comprises chiefly the mines of the Hunter river districts; the second includes the Illawarra district, and, generally, the coastal regions to the south of Sydney, together with Berrima, on the tableland; and the third consists of the mountainous regions on the Great Western railway and extends as far as Dubbo.
One of the richest has been found at Greta in the Hunter river district; it contains an average thickness of 41 ft.
Other precious stones, including the sapphire, emerald, oriental emerald, ruby, opal, amethyst, garnet, chrysolite, topaz, cairngorm, onyx, zircon, etc., have been found in the gold and tin bearing drifts and river gravels in numerous localities throughout the states.
In caves of the valley of the Glenelg river, north-west Australia, about 60 m.
south of Prince Regent's river, are representations of human heads and bodies, apparently of females clothed to the armpits, but all the faces are without any indication of mouths.
On the Gascoyne river, too, were seen natives of an olive colour, quite good-looking; and in the neighbourhood of Sydney rock-carvings have been also found.
the Balonne river, Queensland, Baron Mikluho Maclay found a group of hairless natives.
Towards the close of the year 1696 this expedition reached the island of Rottnest, which was thoroughly explored, and early the following year a landing party discovered and named the Swan river.
The land was soon after made near the mouth of a small stream, which Cook called, after the ship, the Endeavour river.
The ship was steered into the river, and there careened and thoroughly repaired.
deep, which baffled every effort to reach the interior until in 1813, when a summer of severe drought had made it of vital importance to find new pastures, three of the colonists, Messrs Blaxland, Lawson and Wentworth, more fortunate than their predecessors in exploration, after crossing the Nepean river at Emu Plains and ascending the Dividing Range, were able to reach a position enabling them to obtain a view of the grassy valley of the Fish river, which lies on the farther side of the Dividing Range.
A line of road was constructed across the mountains as far as the Macquarie river by the surveyor, Mr Evans, and the town of Bathurst laid out.