Right-whale sentence example
- The sea produces three different seals, which often ascend rivers from the coast, and can live in lagoons of fresh water; many cetaceans, besides the " right whale " and sperm whale; and the dugong, found on the northern shores, which yields a valuable medicinal oil.
- The whaling industry was formerly prolific off the west coast but decayed when the right whale nearly disappeared.
- In colonial times the Atlantic right-whale was killed in some numbers off the coast.
- The Cetacea, which frequent these southern waters, are represented by four species - two dolphins and the sperm and right whale - and the Phocidae by six species, one of which (Phoca lupina) differs but little from the common seal.
- A few, on the other hand, have a very restricted range, the Greenland right whale (Balaena mysticetus) being, for instance, limited to the zone of the northern circumpolar ice, while no corresponding species occurs in the southern hemisphere.Advertisement
- Quote: July 10, 2005 Sunday Times AA Gill So there 's this right whale killed off Iceland, by accident.