Revivalism sentence example
- Four of his books were of particular importance: Christian Nurture (1847), in which he virtually opposed revivalism and "effectively turned the current of Christian thought toward the young"; Nature and the Supernatural (1858), in which he discussed miracles and endeavoured to "lift the natural into the supernatural" by emphasizing the supernaturalness of man; The Vicarious Sacrifice (1866), in which he contended for what has come to be known as the "moral view" of the atonement in distinction from the "governmental" and the "penal" or "satisfaction" theories; and God in Christ (1849) (with an introductory "Dissertation on Language as related to Thought"), in which he expressed, it was charged, heretical views as to the Trinity, holding, among other things, that the Godhead is "instrumentally three - three simply as related to our finite apprehension, and the communication of God's incommunicable nature."
- It is indeed true that to thousands the hope of acquiring spiritual merit must have been a great motive; it is also true, as the records of crusading sermons show, that there was a strong element of "revivalism" in the Crusades, and that thousands were hurried into taking the cross by a gust of that uncontrollable enthusiasm which is excited by revivalist meetings to-day.
- There were, however, some ardent spirits who continued to work along the old lines and whose watchword was revivalism, and out of their efforts came the Bible Christian, the Independent Methodist and the Primitive Methodist denominations.
- Rationality of religious Identity It was said earlier that what apparently unites multiculturalism and religious revivalism is their identification of religion with identity.
- This has been true of Islamic revivalism over the last century.Advertisement
- His mother and siblings got caught up in evangelical revivalism to which Ibsen was intractably hostile.
- Rationality of Religious Identity It was said earlier that what apparently unites multiculturalism and religious revivalism is their identification of religion with identity.
- His current research concerns the history of Christian revivalism in colonial eastern Africa.
- Napoleon III spent some time here also and the castle provided an excellent example of the product of gothic revivalism in the nineteenth century.