Recluses sentence example
- There are seven other similar structures in the group. Inishmore also bears the name of Aran-na-naomh, Aran-of-the-Saints, from the number of religious recluses who took up their abode in it, and gave a celebrity to the holy wells, altars and shrines, to which many are still attracted.
- A form nearer to the Greek original, "anachoret," is sometimes used of the early Christian recluses in the East.
- Some of these recluses only ate every second day, while others succeeded in confining the necessity to a single week-day.
- Three very short ones are dedications of caves to the use of an order of recluses.
- He nowhere says himself that his preaching made many converts, but his example was followed by many recluses in the north of England.Advertisement
- But the Sarmanae also include Brahmans in the first and third stages of their life as students and forest recluses.
- It was of no avail that they adhered in other respects in the main to the older teaching, that they professed to hold to the same ethical system, that they adhered, except in a few unimportant details, to the old regulations of the order of the Buddhist mendicant recluses.
- The manner in which its order of mendicant recluses, at first founded to afford better opportunities to those who wished to carry out that system in practical life, developed at last into a hierarchical monarchy will best be understood by a sketch of the history of Tibet.
- While travelling about, Confucius repeatedly came across recluses, - a class of men who had retired from the world in disgust.
- And even among the Digambaras it is only the recluses or Yatis, men devoted to a religious life, who carry out this practice.Advertisement
- was a fanatic for uniformity, civil and religious; the last thing he was likely to tolerate was a handful of eccentric recluses, who believed themselves to be in special touch with Heaven, and therefore might at any moment set their conscience up against the law.
- 6 The recluses of Port Royal seized it eagerly, discussed automatism, dissected living animals in order to show to a morbid curiosity the circulation of the blood, were careless of the cries of tortured dogs, and finally embalmed the doctrine in a syllogism of their logic, - No matter thinks; every soul of beast is matter: therefore no soul of beast thinks.