Recitations sentence example
- Such recitations were given by itinerant Bonzes, and it is easy to understand the connection between them and the No.
- The old oratorical tastes and aptitudes find their outlet in public recitations and the practice of declamation.
- He introduced a regular musical contest in place of the old recitations of the rhapsodes, which were an old standing accompaniment of the festival.
- The passage is unfortunately corrupt, but it is at least clear that in the time of Solon, according to Diogenes, there were complete copies of the poems, such as could be used to control the recitations.
- Only that Homer was recited in fragments by the rhapsodists, and that these partial recitations were made into a continuous whole by Peisistratus; which does not necessarily mean more than that Peisistratus did what other authorities ascribe to Solon and Hipparchus, viz.Advertisement
- When at last he did come before the public, his recitations were attended by great crowds and received with the utmost favour.
- All the national songs which he transcribed from the recitations of the bards were written and published by him in that dialect, into which the Bible has also been translated.
- He counted the amount of time he took to relearn the lists, using the same criterion of two perfect recitations.
- In college she, or possibly in some subjects some one else, would of necessity be with me in the lecture-room and at recitations.
- The music consists of chants and recitations of the religious texts and teachings by the great masters of Buddhism.Advertisement
- Simply Easter: Easy Dramas, Speeches and Recitations for Children is a book containing various short programs perfect for children.
- These recitations are partly religious, partly also romantic and quasi-historical.
- This difference is probably explained by the fact that the idea of thus modifying the Kagura had its origin in musical recitations from the semi-romantic semi-historical narratives of the 14th century.
- At one of the recitations, it was said, the future historian Thucydides was present with his father, Olorus, and was so moved that he burst into tears, whereupon Herodotus remarked to the father- "Olorus, your son has a natural enthusiasm for letters."
- Whilst the oblations of Soma-juice, made thrice on each offering-day, amidst chants and recitations, constitute the central rites of those services, their ritual also requires numerous single oblations of the ishti kind, including at least three animal offerings, and in some cases the immolation of many hecatombs of victims. Moreover, a necessary preliminary to every Somasacrifice is the construction, in five layers, of a special fire-altar of large dimensions, consisting of thousands of bricks, formed and baked on the spot, to each, or each group, of which a: special symbolic meaning is attached.Advertisement
- Just before the books came, Mr. Gilman had begun to remonstrate with Miss Sullivan on the ground that I was working too hard, and in spite of my earnest protestations, he reduced the number of my recitations.
- After giving several recitations, Mademoiselle George left, and Countess Bezukhova asked her visitors into the ballroom.