Rechabites sentence example
- At Horeb, the mount of God, was located the dramatic theophany which heralded to Elijah the advent of the sword, and Jehu's supporter in his sanguinary measures belongs to the Rechabites, a sect which felt itself to be the true worshipping community of Yahweh and is closely associated with the Kenites, the kin of Moses.
- When there were sects like the Rechabites (Jer.
- RECHABITES, or Sons Of Rechab, a sort of religious order among the Israelites in some respects analogous to the Nazarites, with whom they shared the rule of abstinence from wine.
- Jeremiah promised them as a reward of their obedience that they should never lack a man to represent them (as a priest) before Yahweh, whence perhaps the later Jewish tradition that the Rechabites intermarried with the Levites and so entered the temple service.
- One may compare the modern society of total abstainers known as the "Rechabites."Advertisement
- 6) or Jehu and the Rechabites (2 Kings x.
- xviii.; and if, as seems probable, the Rechabites were likewise of Kenite origin (i Chron.
- The Nazarites and the Rechabites are parallel phenomena, though of vastly inferior historical importance.
- the simpler customs of the Rechabites, q.v.).
- The avoidance of wine, therefore, by Rechabites, Nazirites, Arab dervishes and Pythagoreans, and also of leaven in bread, is parallel to and explicable in the same way as abstention from flesh.Advertisement
- Cheyne suggests that the names of Hobab and of Jonadab the father of the Rechabites were originally identical (Ency.
- See RECHABITES; Encyc. Bibl.
- While Jehu was supported by the Rechabites in his reforming zeal, a similar revolt against Baalism in Judah is ascribed to the priest Jehoiada (see JoASH).