Realgar sentence example
- Arsenic, in its well-known and beautiful forms, orpiment and realgar, is found in New South Wales and Victoria.
- Many substances were employed in ancient medicine: galena was the basis of a valuable Egyptian cosmetic and drug; the arsenic sulphides, realgar and orpiment, litharge, alum, saltpetre, iron rust were also used.
- Cinnabar, realgar, orpiment and coal form the rest of the mineral products of Kwei-chow.
- ORPIMENT (auripigmentum), arsenic trisulphide, As2S3, or yellow realgar, occurring in small quantities as a mineral crystallizing in the rhombic system and of a brilliant goldenyellow colour in Bohemia, Peru, &c. For industrial purposes an artificial orpiment is manufactured by subliming one part of sulphur with two of arsenic trioxide.
- Arsenic is a constituent of the minerals arsenical iron, arsenical pyrites or mispickel, tin-white cobalt or smaltite, arsenical nickel, realgar, orpiment, pharmacolite and cobalt bloom, whilst it is also met with in small quantities in nearly all specimens of iron pyrites.Advertisement
- There are three known compounds of arsenic and sulphur, namely, realgar As2S2, orpiment As2S3, and arsenic pentasulphide As2S5.
- Realgar occurs native in orange prisms of specific gravity 3.5; it is prepared artificially by fusing together arsenic and sulphur, but the resulting products vary somewhat in composition; it is readily fusible and sublimes unchanged, and burns on heating in a current of oxygen, forming arsenic trioxide and sulphur dioxide.
- Realgar >>