Ratchet-wheel sentence example
- The currents actuate a ratchet-wheel mechanism at the receiving station, whereby the hand on a small dial is moved on letter by letter.
- After each descent of the cutters, the fillet is advanced by small gripping rolls C C' C" worked by a ratchet wheel E driven from the shaft which bears the eccentric A.
- Intermittent LinkworkClick and Ratchet.A click acting opon a ratchet-wheel or rack, which it pushes or pulls through a certain arc at each forward stroke and leaves at rest at each backward stroke, is an example of intermittent linkwork.
- A catch or pall, turning on a fixed axis, prevents the ratchet-wheel or rack from reversing its motion.
- The brushes are carried by sleeves which run loosely on the shaft, and to each sleeve is rigidly fixed a ratchet wheel.Advertisement
- Next the ratchet wheel is a disk which is keyed on to the shaft.
- The ratchet wheel and the disk are automatically connected by clutch mechanism in order to effect the rotation of the brushes.
- The drum-shaft is connected by a friction clutch with a shaft in the same line, on which are keyed a sprocket wheel and a ratchet wheel.
- The ratchet wheel is acted upon by a pawl which is shown on the diagram.
- When the poise is at the zero end, and there is no load on the platform, the end of the steelyard is down, and has locked the ratchet wheel by means of the pawl; the shaft being thus locked, the sprocket wheels are stopped, the drum-shaft runs free by the friction clutch, and the two pulleys which are connected by the crossed band are running idle.Advertisement
- When the load to be weighed comes upon the platform, the end of the steelyard rises and unlocks the ratchet wheel through the pawl; the sprocket gearing is driven by the friction clutch, and drives the axle of the left-hand small pulley.
- ratchet wheel.
- The registration is effected by the fall of a heavy pendulum, caused by the percussion of each step. The pendulum is forced back to a horizontal position by a delicate spring, and with each stroke a fine-toothed ratchet-wheel connected with it is moved round a certain length.
- A bar on a pivot called the " pawl " is fixed above the ratchet wheel.