Rare-earths sentence example
- Rubidium, caesium, thallium, indium and gallium were first discovered by means of this instrument; the study of the rare earths is greatly facilitated, and the composition of the heavenly bodies alone determinable by it.
- ERBIUM (symbol, Er; atomic weight, 165-166), one of the metals of the rare earths.
- In 1883 he began an inquiry into the nature and constitution of the rare earths.
- After removing the uranium, it was found that the bismuth separated with a very active substance - polonium; this element was afterwards isolated by Marckwald, and proved to be identical with his radiotellurium; that the barium could be separated with another active substance - radium; whilst a third fraction, composed mainly of the rare earths (thorium, &c.), yielded to Debierne another radioactive element - actinium, which proved to be identical with the emanium of Giesel.
- LANTHANUM [[[symbol]] La, atomic weight 139.0 (0=16)] one of the metals of the cerium group of rare earths.Advertisement
- CERIUM (symbol Ce, atomic weight 140.25), a metallic chemical element which occurs with the rare earths in the minerals cerite, samarskite, euxenite, monazite, parisite and many yttrium minerals.