Raphia sentence example
- The chief trade is in, and the principal exports are, palm oil and kernels, rubber, cotton, maize, groundnuts (Arachis), shea-butter from the Bassia parkii (Sapotaceae), fibres of the Raphia vinifera, and the Sansevieria guineensis, indigo, and kola nuts, ebony and other valuable wood.
- The most important palm of the country perhaps is the Raphia vinifera, which produces the piassava fibre of commerce.
- Assyria under Sargon defeated the southern confederation at Rapihi (Raphia on the border of Egypt) and captured Hanun; the significance of the victory is evident from the submission of the queen of Aribi (Arabia), the Sabaean Itamara, and Musri.
- For tying plants to trellises and stakes soft tarred string or raffia (the fibre from the Raphia palm of Madagascar) is used.
- Her presence greatly encouraged the troops at the battle of Raphia (217), in which Antiochus the Great was defeated.Advertisement
- Early in 217 B.C. Ptolemy Philopater led his forces towards Raphia, which with Gaza was now in the hands of Antiochus, and drove the invaders back.
- Other important exports are raphia fibre and beeswax.
- The dense forests of West Africa contain, in addition to a great variety of dicotyledonous trees, two palms, the Elaeis guincensis (oil-palm) and Raphia vinifera (bamboo-palm), not found, generally speaking, in the savanna regions.
- By this geographical name is probably meant all western Syria and Palestine with Raphia - " the (first) city of the Ka-n-`-na " - for the south-west boundary towards the desert.2 In the letters sent by governors and princes of Palestine to their Egyptian overlord 3 - commonly known as the Tel-el-Amarna tablets - we find the two forms Kinahhi and Kinahna, corresponding to Kena' and Kena`an respectively, and standing, as Ed.
- Two battles, one at Karkar in the north, another at Rapih (Raphia) on the border of Egypt, sufficed to quell the disturbance.Advertisement
- Ngombi - The ngombi is a stringed instrument made from the raphia palm.