Ransoms sentence example
- In 1343 the men of Hexham were accused of pretending to be Scots and imprisoning many people of Northumberland and Cumberland, killing some and extorting ransoms for others.
- An immense booty and many ransoms rewarded the Scots, whose victory was one of the decisive battles of the world.
- Priam ransoms the body of Hector - his burial.
- During each of the following eleven years, the Danes, materially assisted by the universal and shameless disloyalty of the Saxon ealdormen, systematically ravaged England, and from 991 to 1014 the wretched land is said to have paid its invaders in ransoms alone L158,000.
- The long wars had been adverse to commerce, for which ransoms and the booty of Bannockburn made inadequate compensation.Advertisement
- Percy, dissatisfied with Henry's treatment of him in the matter of ransoms, led an army into Scotland which was to have trysted at Cocklaw with Albany and the whole forces of the realm, and invaded England.
- The payment of blackmail, disguised as presents er ransoms, did not always secure safety with these faithless barbarians.
- While their companies were losing undeclared billions, high executives were rewarding themselves with kings ' ransoms in salaries, options and bonuses.
- In damper areas lesser celandine is followed by ransoms, or wild garlic and yellow pimpernel can be found.